1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ebook Font size

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by guruguy, Jul 5, 2007.

I am currently writing an ebook, and it is nearly finished in microsoft word. However when I see many PDF ebooks, I see the size of the normal text ranges from about size 12 font to jumbo size. When you publish an ebook, what is generally the best font size to have the text at. I know I prefer small text, but for some I also know that the size I like is way too small for some people. So what is the standard font size for ebooks?

guruguy, Jul 5, 2007 IP
  2. latoya

latoya Active Member

Best Answers:
    You would definitely have benefitted from Jenn's (jhmattern) radio blog today on ebook writing and marketing....http://www.blogtalkradio.com/chicktech. (Don't let the chick part keep you away)

Anyway, that precise thing was discussed. I don't remember an exact size being quoted, but you should keep in mind that some people might want to print out the book. Plus, computer programs like Word and Adobe have zoom in/out features that allow readers to make the print whatever size they'd like.

That said, I think 12 is the best font. I would not go any larger than 14.

latoya, Jul 5, 2007 IP
  3. guruguy

guruguy Active Member

Best Answers:
    I started listening to it, but five minutes in I had to stop and get on with my work. I'm going to listen to the whole thing tonight though

guruguy, Jul 5, 2007 IP
  4. Steven Schwartzman

Steven Schwartzman Guest

Best Answers:
    I usually go with size 12, and never over 16. You don't want it to seem as though you're just trying to make your book longer by having larger font.

Steven Schwartzman, Jul 6, 2007 IP
  5. guruguy

guruguy Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's just that the last few ebooks I have read have had what seemed to be quite big font (14-16). I probably will go with around size 12, or 14 at the biggest.

guruguy, Jul 6, 2007 IP
  6. ScottyTee

ScottyTee Peon

Best Answers:
    I wrote mine in size 12, people can always zoom in...

ScottyTee, Jul 6, 2007 IP
  7. Philvault

Philvault Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have one client now and we do all her ebooks, well at least on the cosmetics side. She sends me a .doc file and we convert it to .pdf. PDF is more secure and beautiful compared to doc files. We normally use 14 points for the fonts.

Philvault, Jul 6, 2007 IP
  8. zachbb

zachbb Peon

Best Answers:
    I use 12 point.

Any bigger and it may look like you are trying to puff up your books length.

It also depends on the font that you are using. sans serif fonts may look overly spaced out if too large I think.

zachbb, Jul 10, 2007 IP
  9. chatterboxwriting

chatterboxwriting Peon

Best Answers:
    I use 14 point font because my target audience includes people who may have vision problems.

chatterboxwriting, Jul 10, 2007 IP
  10. Amsterdam

Amsterdam Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I like to write with 12 point Arial. But 12 point Verdana is possibly a bit more readable and will fill more pages. Don't go above 12 point for the body text though, IMHO it looks very amateurish.

T

Amsterdam, Jul 10, 2007 IP
  11. Tiggi

Tiggi Active Member

Best Answers:
    font size 12 is the most used one these days, but when we talk e-books you should bare in mind that it could be 14 or 16, but not any larger than that cause then the text will start to annoy with its appearance.

Tiggi, Jul 10, 2007 IP
  12. Eone

Eone Active Member

Best Answers:
    What font are most using?

I think books that most might read on the computer (shorter) should be a arial or helvetica, but if they are longer reads and typically printed out then a serif font like times roman should be used.

What are your thoughts and experiences?

Also type face sometimes affects the size you choose, sans serif fonts look bigger to me in general.

Eone, Sep 12, 2007 IP
  13. poetwarrior

poetwarrior Active Member

Best Answers:
    I use a 14-pt. sans serif font spaced at 1.5 spaces because it is easier to read. People can zoom in, but I try to make it easy on my readers. Many people new to the Internet do not necessarily know how to zoom in, especially if they are in the older age groups. So I make it easy for them and use a 14-pt. sans serif font and space it at 1.5 spacing so that I achieve that goal.

poetwarrior, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  14. Orion77

Orion77 Peon

Best Answers:
    Rule of thumb:
    Use Arial 12 or Verdana 12 if it is something to be read on the net.
    Use Times New Roman if it is something to be read in print.

Reason: Easy on the eyes.

Orion77, Sep 15, 2007 IP
  15. Drek840

Drek840 Peon

Best Answers:
    12 Arial
    or
    10/11 Verdana

Drek840, Sep 16, 2007 IP
  16. Eone

Eone Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree. I think the big decision then becomes whether you think the book will be printed or read at the computer. I have never seen numbers on this but I am guessing most print their book the longer the book is.

Eone, Sep 17, 2007 IP