1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why Are You All Against Vista

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rlineker, May 27, 2007.

?

XP or Vista

1. Windows Vista

379 vote(s)
    28.5%
  2. Windoews XP

950 vote(s)
    71.5%
  1. Requiem

Requiem Peon

Best Answers:
    I recently purchased a new computer with Vista Ultimate, so far so good. Haven't crashed, no BSOD, nothing yet. XP was too to me also, so I don't really have any strong dislikes to either of them.

Requiem, Jun 30, 2007 IP
  2. Acecool

Acecool Peon

Best Answers:
    The IDEA behind vista is AWESOME.. The OS handled incredibly for the first three months that I had it.. then it went down hill..

When checking my mail cpu wuld go to 100% and not go down for 4 to 6 hours (timed), then it ran like a charm... this was only with winmail.exe

Also, I was unable to install apache + php on it, which rendered it completely useless..

I tried thunderbird and I didnt like the layout, so I went back to XP..

Acecool, Jun 30, 2007 IP
  3. InFloW

InFloW Peon

Best Answers:

InFloW, Jul 1, 2007 IP
  4. stickysnail

stickysnail Active Member

Best Answers:
    Vista is horrible. I bought a new laptop with Vista on it and it is so slow. A poll showed that Windows Vista brought down production from users than if they were using XP. I regret ever having Vista. Its CRAP!!

stickysnail, Jul 1, 2007 IP
  5. stickysnail

stickysnail Active Member

Best Answers:
    Also I have not been able to run any new Adobe programs without problems and issues.

stickysnail, Jul 1, 2007 IP
  6. The General

The General Peon

Best Answers:
    Now, let me see:
    • It is a resource hog - I use nearly as much RAM on my Vista notebook running 1 program as I do on my XP laptop running 3-4 (in addition to background services)
    • It adds no real new features - Sure, the windows are now semi-transparent and fade in and out. Big wow Nice to know those extra resources are being put to good use!
    • It is incompatable - Programs don't run on it, and it doesn't like cooperating on an XP network.
    • Microsoft expect us to pay for all these "improvements"!
    None of the other machines at home are going to be upgraded, I will switch to linux permanently before I upgrade to Vista.

The General, Jul 1, 2007 IP
  7. iMarketingGuru

iMarketingGuru Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, many applications completely don't work -- the GUI is nice, but if you get a virus, u are also completely screwed in every way for the admin power of your user gets screwed up by the virus -- the only way to get rid of the virus is to completely reformat everything on your computer.

I dislike Vista, but I believe it only needs backward compatibility and more work, then it will kick the crap out of XP.

iMarketingGuru, Jul 1, 2007 IP
  8. Le GoogelGuRu

Le GoogelGuRu Guest

Best Answers:
    One word -- NOD32.

Le GoogelGuRu, Jul 2, 2007 IP
  9. rmartish

rmartish Peon

Best Answers:
    One word Linux.

rmartish, Jul 2, 2007 IP
  10. katwright

katwright Peon

Best Answers:
    I never had any problems with Vista. With my old XP, I always had problems. Maybe I shouldn't run it in Hungarian.....:rolleyes:

katwright, Jul 2, 2007 IP
  11. mojojuju

mojojuju Peon

Best Answers:
    True that. I have a laptop which came with Vista which I installed Ubuntu on. I also installed Beryl a.k.a. 3D desktop. When people see Beryl in action, they're just so amazed and then they're asking how to get "that linux program" to make their computer do that.

As far as eyecandy, Linux with Beryl or Compiz leaves Vista in the dust.

If you've never seen Beryl on Linux, here's a couple of videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD7QraljRfM&mode=related&search=
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eDI4-IH58s&mode=related&search=

I'll admit, I was really excited to try out Vista. When it came out, I made sure to get a laptop with the Premium rather than the Basic version. It really didn't live up to the hype. I left it on a partition because my wife uses it.

Also, I think Vista took a few steps backwards when it comes to general usability. For me, XP is easy to use when I use windows. Vista provides no benefit over XP, just nuisances.

mojojuju, Jul 2, 2007 IP
  12. mgrohan

mgrohan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Seeing as people are complaining about compatibility of programs, i'm puzzled by some recommending linux to these people!

Can linux beryl run all windows programs?

mgrohan, Jul 2, 2007 IP
  13. mojojuju

mojojuju Peon

Best Answers:
    First off, this thread didn't start off as somebody asking for an operating system recommendation.

The title of this thread is "Why Are You All Against Vista" and the initial poster asks:

Also, compatibility of programs isn't the only concern about Vista mentioned in this thread. Here are some others:

• Hogging of Resources
    • Slowness (goes along with the above)
    • Price of upgrading from a previous version of windows not justified by significant new features
    • DRM "big brother" type stuff

I don't know why any "recommendation" of linux would seem puzzling.

No, just as windows Vista won't run all programs compiled for previous versions of windows, or as it won't run all Linux, Mac, Solaris, OS2, or BeOS binaries. That's pretty simple to understand.

mojojuju, Jul 2, 2007 IP
  14. aeonboy

aeonboy Peon

Best Answers:
    vista is not that stable yet.. need some time .. hee

aeonboy, Jul 2, 2007 IP
  15. tau

tau Peon

Best Answers:
    Vista is a very expensive clone of Mac and Linux... And, it needs so much recourses that I can run a webserver for 2,000,000 visitors a month on the same hardware :)
    Anyway, it's pretty and you need to port(!) your own applications written for WinXP, which is not good for developers.

tau, Jul 3, 2007 IP
  16. sitebuddy

sitebuddy Guest

Best Answers:
    I like XP and don't mind Vista but the problem is you have to spend time (if you have) to train and test and play with and get adapted to the new OS. Also you might find changed administrative features and you have to find out why and find how to use the new features and boot files and configs and monitoring options. Another thing is you have to reinstall your software and reupdate them all if they are compliant with Vista and that takes more time. I personally wished if they update XP with all new features and charge people a yearly update fee rather than having to install a new OS and going through all the configuration loop again. For my case unfortunately I develop with .net and use directx. Now since dx10 works on vista only I have no choice but to go through the upgrade process again.

sitebuddy, Jul 3, 2007 IP
  17. chaoz

chaoz Active Member

Best Answers:
    there is no problem. it's just i have to buy new computer to install vista

chaoz, Jul 3, 2007 IP
  18. rmartish

rmartish Peon

Best Answers:
    I usually run Linux as a server so I'm not to hip on the desktop side. Why would anybody run Vista is beyond me. The vast majority of people use there computers to surf the internet and write letters. Why would they spend hundred of dollars on eye candy when they could just use Linux for free is beyond me.

rmartish, Jul 4, 2007 IP
  19. tradeya

tradeya Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I dont like it coz my computer spec is not meet their requirement and i got no money to upgrade. dang it vista. ;)

tradeya, Jul 4, 2007 IP
  20. compufreak7

compufreak7 Peon

Best Answers:
    I saw vista and loved it. Indeed, it's a lot of eye candy, but the security is improved a lot to. So I go for vista =D

compufreak7, Jul 4, 2007 IP