1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Directorydump is down?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by coolsitez, Jun 24, 2007.

1. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    oh dear. hosting with hostgator.......wait about 10 hours for a response.....my hosting is instant :D

mikey1090, Jun 25, 2007 IP
  2. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I moved from HG a year ago because of them shutting down my directories, they kept saying I was using too much resources and my traffic was pretty low, around 50 uniques a day. I started fighting with them and they said it was probably some RSS feeds I had going, so I had them optimised, then HG started shutting down the feeds on me and eventually they deleted files that broke my site. Needless to say I got the heck out of Dodge fast. I am using Site5 and BudgetHost.ca now and have had zero resource problems.

IMO HG oversells big-time.

jg123, Jun 25, 2007 IP
  3. mikey1090

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    i think hostgator is funny. offer you loads of diskspace and bandwidth, yet if you actually try run a php script you get shut down :p

4. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    They make their money on the 'failed dreams' of others....meaing if you have a somewhat sucessful site that actually gets traffic they try and force you to upgrade to a plan that costs 5 times as much.

jg123, Jun 25, 2007 IP
  5. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    Are they that bad? I heard they were shit and now you explained why I'll stay away. anons site was probably getting too much traffic and they got pissed with his success, but hey who knows hope he gets it sorted. :)

The Pheonix, Jun 25, 2007 IP
  6. mikey1090

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    hostgator is perfect if you want to host a blog or 5 html pages. try mess with php and a DB bigger than 200 rows and boom. suspended. they oversell and dont have the time to make you feel welcome.

7. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    Then The Pheonix no sign up with hostgator. :p Thanks for the thumbs up on them, always nice to know a shitty service to avoide.

The Pheonix, Jun 25, 2007 IP
  8. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That's exactly what it is. I know it. They did this to me last month as well.
    No warning, nothing. just shutdown, then a little while after, i get and email.

Going to dedicated just isn't cost effective right now, and it's really overkill.
    I was thinking about going VPS and/or possibly just switching up to someone who just isn't going to shut things down and say 'oh, too much resources' which is BS.

I was told the tech in charge would NOT be in for another 4 hrs from the time I last posted. Ticket was bumped to critical, and, well, still no answer.

Pisses me off! Great way to start the week, especially after such a great and free weekend away from everything and spending some time with the better halves I have out there :)

an0n, Jun 25, 2007 IP
  9. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:

you could have choosen Servage!(Even though they do not have cpanel) their support is good!

This is very bad to hear from a good hosting company!

Better you go for a vps!

there are some available at $50-$100 range

It is always better to have a site in vps as you can have a control over lot of things!

Freewebspace, Jun 25, 2007 IP
  10. NeoGen

NeoGen Writer

Best Answers:
    NeoGen, Jun 25, 2007 IP
  11. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You know what's sad...

I am using live support yet again and it's like nobody ever bothered to look into the issue, although it was bumped to Critical.

I just need my access back to move the site.

At this point, I just want off hostgator, because I cant have sh*t like this happen without any forewarning.

I'll do a VPS for 50/mo absolutely no problems.(i would prefer cpanel, and not Plesk)
    Any and all recommendations are welcome, and I will check them out.
    I would prefer recommendations from people with sites that have real traffic. Not just a hosted directory. Sites that actually use resources for tools and what not.

an0n, Jun 25, 2007 IP
  12. alang

alang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm using dedicated server from www.servstra.com for almost 2 years and have no complaint at all. They are a reseller for layered tech. And its only cost me $159.90 a month for 120GB of spaee, 2GB ram and 1500GB monthly bandwidth, active monitoring and server management. Their support is quick, reply to your ticket support within 30 minutes.

alang, Jun 25, 2007 IP
    thudufushi likes this.
  13. Agent47

Agent47 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    at $50-$70/m you should consider getting a nice VPS with 512MB memory and 500 GB bandwidth :) I am having one with no problems so far.

Agent47, Jun 25, 2007 IP
  14. NeoGen

NeoGen Writer

Best Answers:
    NeoGen, Jun 25, 2007 IP
    thudufushi likes this.
  15. dkessaris

dkessaris Peon

Best Answers:
    I am currently with wiredtree and I am very happy with them. A VPS or a dedicated might be quite a bit more expensive but just think of the money you are losing today, or the money you might lose because of the occasional downtime, or the slowness on a shared server. In the end they probably are a better value for money. Here is an interesting post

dkessaris, Jun 25, 2007 IP
  16. NRLMedia

NRLMedia Peon

Best Answers:
    What about Dreamhost? J/k ;)

NRLMedia, Jun 25, 2007 IP
  17. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Oh dear god NO!

Especially with what just happened!

I am going to want to move everything. While I have over 250 domains, there are only about 30-35 which are active.

This month is just not going very well for me on a hosting standpoint.

an0n, Jun 25, 2007 IP
  18. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Just for reference, it took HostGator 7 HOURS to resolve, and that was after *I had to contact them via live support(no help there) and send them several emails*. That is unacceptable in my book.
    All I am going to say is when your directory/website starts getting good traffic, or you start to write your own tools/scripts, definitely expect to be looking elsewhere for reliable hosting, because HostGator can't seem to be able to handle them both.

I also disabled the Stats Tool for the time being. (sorry about that guys)

an0n, Jun 25, 2007 IP
  19. MeetHere

MeetHere Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Thats not good for a great hosting company..
    Correctly said : hostgator sucks.

MeetHere, Jun 25, 2007 IP
  20. SilkySmooth

SilkySmooth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    an0n, I currently host some sites with Rackspace UK, costs £150/$300 per month for a dedicated linux with cpanel. Support is top notch and they are more than capable of handling your traffic / scripts.

I once had a CPU fan blow out, they had it replaced and my server back up and running within an hour.

The US site rackspace.com will give you a quote which is more in line with US hosting prices. I had to go with the UK side for legal reasons which basically means I pay more.

HTH

SilkySmooth, Jun 25, 2007 IP