1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What CMS would you use for a news site

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Remo, Jun 18, 2007.

Hi there

What would CMS would you use for a news site? I hate Joomla and in addition I want to add a resource area/directory so I dont think Wordpress would be a good choice

Is it best to use 2 CMS and link them e.g. one for the directory and one for the news section. Or am I just being overly complicated :)

Remo, Jun 18, 2007 IP
  2. frankcow

frankcow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why do you hate Joomla?

frankcow, Jun 18, 2007 IP
  3. Remo

Remo Peon

Best Answers:
    styling and SEO mainly, I am quite happy coding HTML (but not a coder) I have only done 3 joomla jobs, the first was very painful but good pain as I got my head around it.

Do you think its the best solution for what I am looking for?

Remo, Jun 18, 2007 IP
  4. frankcow

frankcow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Totally. I use it on almost any site that will be regularly updated

frankcow, Jun 18, 2007 IP
  5. Claudek

Claudek Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Joomla is good. If you are after a news site, you may consider

Snews - can't get simpler than that and it is quite powerful if you think a bit before building. There are many examples at their site and the fact that you can use it on basically any template makes it the more brilliant to use.

CuteNews - another quite powerful news cms with many many good addons. An example is http://www.theurbantwist.com/

Cutenews.ru - based on CuteNews but not as restrictive and with pretty nice addons as well. An example is the site http://www.nepalmountainnews.com/

Basically, the above are better than Joomla's News/Magazine Component (i've been stalking that site for so long and while development has been good there are still features missing - Look at their forum for more info - good front-end, back-end still needs work.)

Good luck with your site.

Claudek, Jun 18, 2007 IP
  6. figarro

figarro Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you want content go for Wordpress, you can't miss

figarro, Jun 21, 2007 IP
  7. Cesay

Cesay Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, Wordpress could make a pretty good news site. You could even groups topics on the front page by their category tags.

Cesay, Jun 21, 2007 IP
  8. Claudek

Best Answers:
    It would help if you gave some examples of sites doing this.

Claudek, Jun 21, 2007 IP
  9. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Are there specific reasons that you would recommend these CMS scripts for news oriented sites as opposed to using CMSs such as Wordpress and Joomla? Thanks for any additional info.

Rich

richrf, Jun 21, 2007 IP
  10. Claudek

Best Answers:
    Simply put, they answer the original poster's question. The ones recommended are easily configurable to be news sites, with functionality that surpasses WordPress & Joomla straight out of the box, so to speak.

I do recommend you visit the sites themselves to see their functionality. They are simple and very robust.

If you look at Snews for eg, it consists of only 1 file! - and it can fit into any template in whatever form you want it to. You have full control, it does not tell you what you can do, you tell it. If you look at its site, you will also see that it has mods/addons as well if want some extra capabilities.

CuteNews and Cutenews.ru also let you build news sites with ease and with capabilities specific to a news site. Do they stop here, nope, check their sites for their mods like tag clouds and streaming news etc. They also allow you not to only have your news go out as rss but to also import rss feeds into a news category. These are trivial examples - check their site and forums for fuller explainations.

Also,note that you are free to use them, in whatever style you want - it does not have to be news related.
    For example, this is a game site someone setup using Cutenews.ru - http://www.itsgamertime.com/ - flash games in various categories with comments and rating etc
    That is just one example. Joomla and WordPress are good but there is no need to use them just because everyone says they are great and everything else is bad. I have WordPress and Joomla Sites but when I was looking for a News type addition to a site, I found both lacking in features I wanted. Hence, why I had those 3 sites I mentioned bookmarked. In truth, I was after the iJoomla News or Magazine but again, the backend features are lacking. You use the tools that work for you, not what others claim will work for you.

EOF

Claudek, Jun 21, 2007 IP
  11. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    joomla is design for news and article publishing. i dont believe that you can find a better solution for news publishing

trichnosis, Jun 21, 2007 IP
  12. Claudek

Best Answers:
    It would be nice to back this up with examples. If you know an out-of-box Joomla site that does this, or a hacked one, please do share the site and what they used.

As already mentioned, Joomla's best News publishing is from iJoomla - either the magazine or news module. Their functionality is inferior currently to some of the other CMS' mentioned above. Is there any other component/module you are referring to?

Claudek, Jun 21, 2007 IP
  13. SergeF

SergeF Peon

Best Answers:
    SergeF, Jun 21, 2007 IP
  14. cdx

cdx Peon

Best Answers:
    Joomla is great.

I have about 10, high ranked, websites powered by joomla.

All you need is to learn it - use a good search-engine-friendly extension to change your urls, using h1 titles (instead of the regular div-titles). that here you go.

Also, great extension to add site maps Google style. what more do you need ?

cdx, Jun 22, 2007 IP
  15. Claudek

Best Answers:
    You may want to read the thread again. You can go with Joomla, but it has limitations that the other ones listed do not. The thread is about a CMS for a news site.

As has been already asked, if you have a Joomla News site, please let us know. It would be beneficial to see one rather than keep hearing Joomla is great and full stop.

Claudek, Jun 22, 2007 IP
  16. Firegirl

Firegirl Peon

Best Answers:
    For a site that will be updated regularly, joomla is great! I use it for one of my sites and wouldn't use anything else because, once you figure it out, it becomes sooo easy to manage and update on a regular basis!

Firegirl, Jun 22, 2007 IP
  17. cdx

cdx Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep, I am using a news component which I highly recommend on Joomla CMS. It's working great.

PM for a link.

cdx, Jun 22, 2007 IP
  18. daringtakers

daringtakers Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have just started playing around wid drupal,
    I would also like to hear from other members.

daringtakers, Jun 22, 2007 IP
  19. daringtakers

daringtakers Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Can any one tell me,

which one is better, joomla or drupal?

daringtakers, Jun 22, 2007 IP
  20. jbladeus

jbladeus Peon

Best Answers:
    stick to joomla.
    Just add a couple of extensions like ijoomla magazine and SEF advance and you'll have a great news site which is also SEF.

jbladeus, Jun 24, 2007 IP