1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Too many links. is that a problem

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by marzooq, Jun 18, 2007.

I have been trying to build some links for my website. And i was wondering is there a limit i should keep in mind. Do i have to be careful? or i can just do any amounts of links

marzooq, Jun 18, 2007 IP
    maldives likes this.
  2. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I would recommend obtaining 10 - 30 links per day for a new website. Obtaining too many links too quickely could be a problem as the search engines may treat it as link spamming.

Too many links could trigger a Google penality if you add the links over a short period of time. I would also suggest you to use different anchor texts and different IP address if you want to go beyond roughly 50 links per day.

maldives, Jun 18, 2007 IP
  3. chrismccoy

chrismccoy Guest

Best Answers:
    i like to keep mine to a max of 15, and always relevant to the site

chrismccoy, Jun 18, 2007 IP
  4. littlebobek

littlebobek Peon

Best Answers:
    If you do directory submission, don't worry about submitting to too many. It takes them some time to approve your link (sometimes months) so it's spread in time. ;)

littlebobek, Jun 18, 2007 IP
  5. charless

charless Banned

Best Answers:
    Up to 50 links per day is good if they are relevant.

Not relevant, I would suspect around 10-15 per day.

charless, Jun 18, 2007 IP
  6. Richie_Ni

Richie_Ni Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    As others said,don't get tons of links in one day..
    Then it'll be okay.

Richie_Ni, Jun 19, 2007 IP
  7. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    i think getting too much link will break your serp. it's not a good think

trichnosis, Jun 19, 2007 IP
  8. adsei

adsei Peon

Best Answers:
    I am kind of new to internet marketing so I wanted to ask
    How are you going about building these links?

Is it through article submissions, or are you actually approaching other complementary sites for link exchanges?

adsei, Jun 19, 2007 IP
  9. figarro

figarro Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's best to get high PR backlinks, as one such link si much more valuable than a low PR page. I would concentrate on getting such links from big sites rather than getting 100 small links a day.

figarro, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  10. Taal

Taal Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that I matter more as to what time period that you build those links in and what quality the links are. You want to get higher quality links over a period of time.

Taal, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  11. teddyruxpin2000

teddyruxpin2000 Peon

Best Answers:
    The first backlinks you should go after are those that your competitors (ranking on the first page of Google) have.

You can view some of these using the page info button on the Google toolbar, if you have that installed in your browser. However, Google only lists a subset of the true amount of backlinks a site has.

You can also enter the site in Yahoo's Site Explorer to analyze where these high ranking sites are getting their links.

Also, getting a lot of links in a very short period of time is usually frowned upon, unless you've got a great site that gets Dugg or Slashdotted--accumulating alot of these social bookmarking links is fine (if you're lucky enough).

Thanks,
    Paul

teddyruxpin2000, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  12. sheena24

sheena24 Peon

Best Answers:
    only one thing matters from where your site got a links.

sheena24, Jun 21, 2007 IP
  13. andre75

andre75 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, let me be the first to completely disagree with most of what has been said here (oh yeah, I can feel the love already).
    Some of the pages I rank best with have gotten a ton of link in one day and that was it (the ones that hit the front page of a social media site to be exact).
    One of them is 3 days old and has gathered over 1000 links and guess what?
    It ranks well.

andre75, Jun 21, 2007 IP
  14. charless

charless Banned

Best Answers:
    It all depends on the links.

Authoritive/trusted links.
    Age of domain.
    More.

charless, Jun 21, 2007 IP
  15. jumong79

jumong79 Banned

Best Answers:
    I think the problem is if you have the recips of those site which is not related.Because to many unrelated site is link farm. A quality site would not hurt your site even its to many.

jumong79, Jun 22, 2007 IP
  16. john269

john269 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Don't listen to me as I could be wrong.

But the amount of links I get to my site is up to me. If I want 50,000 links in one go I will get it.

The thing is, your competitor could easily get 50,000 links pointing to your site in a day so I don't think you will get a penaulty or a ban if you get to many, but you may have a slight decrease in the serps for a little while or it may not affect your serps at all or it could even give you an increase.

Now with me, I want my site out there, I have not got time to get 15 links pointing to my site each day. Time costs money and we only live for so long. I personally don't get links for PR gain I do it for the traffic. So because I am trying to increase my traffic as much as possible I will try and get my link in as many places as possible that has traffic. This includes article marketing and other types of marketing that is legal. Sometimes article marketing could get me 1,000's of backlinks just from 1 article plus a large volumn of traffic.

How I see things is that if you want traffic to your site then you have to have links no matter if you pay for the advertising or not. The more and quicker you want the traffic the quicker you have to get the advertising / links. Why hold back. As long as you don't spam your links accrossed the web (spam meaning putting your link on sites or in places where the site owners don't allow it or don't want them) it should be alright, if Google doesn't like it then so be it. But if you get a signature in a forums or send out an article to article directories, that's going to quickly create loads of backlinks in a very short time alone. Don't forget, Google has thousands of backlinks pointing to it and they didn't get them by having 15 - 5,000 a day. If you really want to get out there and get traffic then go for it I say. Just don't spam!

As I say it's up to you what you want to do, my comments here could be bad when it comes to the serps, but at the end of the day, although I want my site in the serps and to have good rankings, I don't want to have all my traffic just coming from the search engines. I want traffic coming from hundreds of different places as thats the only way you will survive. Getting traffic just from Google is to risky for me.

Saying all this, I do not spam or use automated systems. I only place a link or advertise on sites that allow it. I will never spam. I don't even do email marketing as that's also spam.

john269, Jun 23, 2007 IP
  17. samlocalguy

samlocalguy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Nice info...

samlocalguy, Jun 24, 2007 IP
  18. john269

john269 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks, where's my green reps, it took me ages to write that. lol

Na don't worry about green reps, I'm sure some of you are probably reading it and disagreeing on what I said, but if you are, I'll most probably see you in a year or so time when my site is exploding with traffic and yours is still in the gutter or your site has been banned from google or had a penalty or has fallen sharply in the serps and you have lost over 80% of your traffic due to it, lol.

Hope none of this ever happens to anyone of you, but I had experienced it a few years ago and learn't from not rellying on having traffic mainly coming from the search engines.

Although search engine traffic is very good and you can easily get alot of it, if or when your serps crash, then you will feel the pain as your earnings will drop, if you don't have any other sources of good traffic.

john269, Jun 24, 2007 IP
  19. onlineravi

onlineravi Banned

Best Answers:
    Nice Info John it makes me think how many links i should also have . I am making some 15 links per day and because of that my ranking is going Good .
    I will take care of what you said.

onlineravi, Jun 24, 2007 IP
  20. marzooq

marzooq Active Member

Best Answers:
    hello all. thanks. i think this have already given an insight. i also think if google ban you for puting too many links at given page or time. than a competitor easily can abuse it. i think you can put links as many as you want right

marzooq, Jun 26, 2007 IP