1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What to do when client doesn't respond

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by zac439, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Battousai

Battousai Member

Best Answers:
    I don't believe the "i paid to someone elses address by mistake" excuse... What they said here before is true, paypal keeps a record of the email addresses you use...

What i always do when it's my first / second job with someone is asking for a 30 - 50% payment in advance. After that, if they pay in time i no longer ask for those payments in advance. I just wait until i finish, and then i send the articles and a Money Request from paypal, with the titles of the articles.
    I'm a spanish - english translator by the way.

Until the past week i was working exclusively for SOSFactory and SOSNewbie, and the owner was always online since he works as a freelance designer and uses the computer all the time, so i never had any problems with payments; always recieved the money in less than 30 minutes :)

I hope that helps.

Battousai, Jun 15, 2007 IP
  2. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not a stalker. I'm just someone who likes "investigating." :)

marketjunction, Jun 15, 2007 IP
  3. ZeroInfinity

ZeroInfinity Banned

Best Answers:
    First off, "not missing the point" would lead to this scenario:

- your initial control measure would be to avoid doing something that would prove to be useless at the end (with useless defined in this case as the highest probabilities of happening which would then not be an assumption since assumptions are totally different from calculated theories), in which that "something" given the particular case would be to inform the client who has not been responding to the writer's emails about selling the articles elsewhere;

- and your secondary control measure would be to, of course, come up with a control measure which would control the situation to the point of being beneficial for the writer in the long run, in which the exact control measure for this particular scenario would be to avoid losing the writer's reputation as a spinner of original quality work.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

ZeroInfinity
    http://www.grayscaleconsultancyservices.com

ZeroInfinity, Jun 15, 2007 IP
  4. DeniseJ

DeniseJ Live, Laugh, Love

Best Answers:
    Thank you, once again, for trying to imply I don't know what I'm talking about.

What I choose to do in my business practices may not suit you or anyone else. However, that does not mean I "don't understand the point" of this entire conversation.

DeniseJ, Jun 15, 2007 IP
  5. marketjunction

Best Answers:
    I'll take "Lots of pointless words when they're not needed" for $100 Alex.

Want to know the secret of the pros? We don't write until we've been paid.

I know, I know, it's not as exciting as seeing a two-page thread full of words, but that's how simple it is.

Charge first. If you're not to that level yet, get there.

For goodness sakes, you probably are charging peanuts, so it's not like we're negotiating a $10-50k deal here.

If the client won't trust you, do it one article at a time. You deliver one article, client pays for an article or vise versa.

Zac, I wish you luck.

Want to know what I'd do if I did the work and the client didn't pay? I'd go sell the stuff. Drop a lower price on it, sell it with rewrite rights and move on. Or rewrite some of it and use it yourself.

marketjunction, Jun 15, 2007 IP
  6. ZeroInfinity

ZeroInfinity Banned

Best Answers:
    Missing a point amongst a spectrum of crucial points within an argument should not be confused with "not understanding the point", with "point" being the overall point, as you have stated:

"However, that does not mean I "don't understand the point" of this entire
    conversation."

Claimed implications are assumptions whenever it constitutes subjectively disjointed statements which appeal to an entirely different perspective of the argument, as you have stated:

"Thank you, once again, for trying to imply I don't know what I'm talking about."

since my posts, as I see it, contain statements that hand out a subjectively (of course) clear view of my understanding about the entire subject matter, and I try to keep my posts with the purpose of informing interested parties about my perception of the matter at hand and not on appealing to the subjectivity of an individual's point of view since it should be common to all that each living entity in this universe of ours has its own purpose and unique cognitive abilities moderately to even entirely different from such elements possessed by others, so I personally think there should have never been a need for this statement:

"What I choose to do in my business practices may not suit you or anyone else."

since I am not your consultant at the time being. If you ever need one, just shoot me an email or a PM straight up. Thanks.

Regards,

ZeroInfinity

ZeroInfinity, Jun 15, 2007 IP
  7. zac439

zac439 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I'm on the way to becoming more professional. I just haven't made the connections I need to yet.

Til then, I will charge peanuts :)

zac439, Jun 15, 2007 IP
  8. DeniseJ

Best Answers:
    I can say with absolute certainty that I will not be using the services of a consultant who can't bother to proofread his posts for grammatical errors.

DeniseJ, Jun 15, 2007 IP
  9. ZeroInfinity

ZeroInfinity Banned

Best Answers:
    Grammatical errors?? (looks heavenward and wipes sweat off brow with the back of right hand)... please enclose in quotations the "grammatical errors" since you may actually have the wrong knowledge when it comes to writing! lol

Regards,

ZeroInfinity

ZeroInfinity, Jun 16, 2007 IP
  10. ZeroInfinity

ZeroInfinity Banned

Best Answers:
     Grammatical errors?? (looks heavenward and wipes sweat off brow with the back of right hand)... please enclose in quotations the "grammatical errors" you may have unwittingly seen on my posts since I may have time to teach you a thing or two about literary proficiency. If you think that some sentences do not start with caps, then you're totally mistaken since the sentences are connected to the prior statements, in which, obviously, the "sentences" YOU PERCEIVE as "sentences" are ACTUALLY just portions of entire sentences which carry a rationally logical concept. I think I'll just have to charge you more than what I regularly charge my clients since sound reasoning with even moderate to slightly intermediary mathematical skills are necessary for me to do my work properly in a convenient manner for both parties, and I hand out discounts to clients that have such characteristics. Thanks.

Regards,

ZeroInfinity

p.s. I do think you need my help, ma'am. I can perhaps help you earn more and gain respect from your colleagues and friends.

11. DeniseJ

Best Answers:
    Zero, I am going to end this conversation. It seems apparent to me that you enjoy belittling others in over-complicated jargon that has no place in a conversation such as this.

I earn plenty on my own and have the respect of both colleagues and friends. I don't need someone to tell me how to do my job. That's not to imply I am perfect in any way, for the record.

Zac, I must apologize for allowing your thread to go completely off topic. Good luck!

DeniseJ, Jun 16, 2007 IP
  12. marketjunction

Best Answers:
    Zac,

Just keep plugging away. The most important thing is to not let any one situation hold you back. Always charge forward.

marketjunction, Jun 16, 2007 IP
  13. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I have to agree with this one... the posts are definitely over-complicated. A good writer can make their language understood by their audience. You're writing in a forum filled with predominantly beginning writers and SEO writers; not an overly formal crowd. Heck, even a formal writing crowd would find it humorous if anything.

Denise is, in fact, a highly respected writer here on DP and elsewhere. Being relatively new to a community and trying to attack an established member isn't smart. Your comments do display one thing; an apparent lack of any kind of research before speaking. You certainly wouldn't be helping Denise earn more. On the contrary Zero, noticing the rates you charge from other threads here on DP, perhaps you should be asking for her aid instead. Charging less than $.03 per word puts you far from the ranks of those able to teach other writers here how to increase their earnings in any significant manner. Add to that the fact that an article of yours posted to this forum demonstrates that you don't even understand the basic differences between copywriting and content writing, and you illustrate my point further. That's not said to "pick on" you. None of us are perfect by any stretch of the imagination. But throwing around big words to insult a professional that we, as a community, are lucky to have isn't the way to go, when you yourself still have a lot to learn. Just contribute where you can, keep learning from those who are further along than you, and leave the insults at the door. (And btw, if you really want to try to claim perfection grammatically, I'd be happy to pick that post in question apart as an example. But for starters, remember that the first word of a sentence is generally capitalized. That in itself is a glaring mistake. And frankly, who cares? We all make them, especially when typing in a casual environment like this. But there's no point in trying to pretend it doesn't happen.)

I second that Zac. And get in touch early next week, and we'll continue our private conversation re: your rates and writing efforts. I'd love to hear how you're progressing, and move forward with things we've discussed previously. :)

Jenn

jhmattern, Jun 16, 2007 IP
  14. DeniseJ

Best Answers:
    Thank you, Jenn.

And Zac - let me say you are lucky to have a mentor in Jenn. She is VERY respected on DP and elsewhere, as well. I have learned quite a bit from her since I've known her, and her expertise continues to astound me.

DeniseJ, Jun 16, 2007 IP
  15. ZeroInfinity

ZeroInfinity Banned

Best Answers:
    My statements are ONLY "over-complicated" for those who can't apply mathematical reasoning on their reading ventures, or at least that's what I think. I don't think I have to write for people who have understanding problems when it comes to simple concepts whenever I'm not paid for it.

$0.03/word or less, as a standard rate, can make you millions on a daily basis ONLY if you are well-versed in actuarial business mathematics to the point of effectively using such wisdom to your advantage. You claim I do not understand the fundamental differences between copywriting and content writing after reading through an "article" which I posted on this forum - this is a claim solely based on a subjective assumption which CLEARLY (or at least for me) provides me with an element to functionally gauge your rational capabilities/mental faculties when it comes to literary proficiency.

I need not "research" on the overall reputation of a person manning a forum such as this one since I can already functionally determine a certain characteristic which I need of the person at any given situation from the concepts integrated on each person's posts on this forum.

Obviously (which probably isn't too obvious for you), sentences should definitely start with caps. The entire point (which I'm afraid I have been again misunderstood by the both of you) was that the sentences which you think should be capitalized aren't separate sentences but rather phrases which are portions of sentences. This already provides me with enough reason to claim that you don't know anything useful about literary proficiency. I'm not pretending on anything since I always gracefully accept various incantations of my own mortality given every situation I need to face, but I don't actually make simple errors such as the ones both of you unwittingly see on my posts - yes, even in informal playing fields such as on this forum.

I have lots to learn - I have known this for a fact ever since I had enough reasoning capabilities to go beyond conventional rationality, but I'll definitely make it a point to avoid learning from the both of you about literary proficiency. The both of you, on the other hand, can learn many things you SHOULD know just by reading through this post of mine - consider it an incentive from my free time. If I can't run your businesses for you in order to attain the fullest potential of growth I could get from your businesses at the shortest possible time, I would inform you straight up, but I don't think I would WANT to do this for you at the moment given the present circumstances. In case you want to make more money and gain respect from your friends and colleagues, you could just send me a PM.

I don't actually enjoy insulting people - I just inform them of what I think about them, which, for me, is the truth as always. I do apologize for any damages I have done on your self-esteem, but you could just perhaps consider it as a small portion of an entire learning process totally free of charge.

Best Regards,

ZeroInfinity

16. DeniseJ

Best Answers:
    When did I say anything about your sentences? I didn't. You are putting words in my mouth that I never said. You are merely assuming that's what I was referencing when I made a comment about your grammatical errors.

I'm not going to bother commenting on the rest of your ridiculous post. Consider the matter closed. But I won't sit idly by while you attempt to ridicule me with your inane blather. I don't need a relative newbie to this forum to tell me what he thinks of me. It's not called for or necessary.

DeniseJ, Jun 16, 2007 IP
  17. ZeroInfinity

ZeroInfinity Banned

Best Answers:
    "When did I say anything about your sentences? I didn't. You are putting words in my mouth that I never said. You are merely assuming that's what I was referencing when I made a comment about your grammatical errors."
    I can't see the phrase "the both of" inserted between these words:

"which you", which is on this sentence:

"The entire point (which I'm afraid I have been again misunderstood by the both of you) was that the sentences which you think should be capitalized aren't separate sentences but rather phrases which are portions of sentences."

"I'm not going to bother commenting on the rest of your ridiculous post. Consider the matter closed. But I won't sit idly by while you attempt to ridicule me with your inane blather. I don't need a relative newbie to this forum to tell me what he thinks of me. It's not called for or necessary."
    Please kindly objectify the usage of this word: "ridiculous" in order for me to not consider this as a subjective appeal against the truth. On the other hand, this statement: "Consider the matter closed." can be further explained so as not to leave off the impression of an imposition instead of a request for evading means unto me.

This statement: "But I won't sit idly by while you attempt to ridicule
    me with your inane blather." goes against the truth since I haven't attempted on anything - I have done it straight up through informative and not inane means. Finally, these statements: "I don't need a relative newbie to this forum to tell me what he thinks of me. It's not called for or necessary." can be seen as a probable plea for a halt on the subject matter which could have been better said and thus subsequently understood. I believe you can probably surrender to the counsel of the youth through much graceful means, and you can probably begin to understand the things you could learn from everyone in general and not only from a particular group of people which, in this case, would be the veteran forum-manners here at DP. If you're invoking your right to privacy with this statement: "I don't need a relative newbie to this forum to tell me what he thinks of me.", you could just inform me straight up. Thanks.

Kind Regards,

ZeroInfinity

18. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    LOL Sweety, before going into my current line of work, I studied engineering. Believe me... mathematics is far from a weak subject for me. As a matter of fact, here's a little bit of basic math for you:

To make even ONE million dollars (forget the fact that you're claiming you can make "millions on a daily basis"), here's what you get at $.03 / word:

$1,000,000 / $.03 = ~ 33,333,333 words that you'd have to write in a year.

Assuming you write every single day (33,333,333 words / 365 days), that's over 91,000 words that you'd have to write each day to make just one million dollars in a year's time. A completed novel will often run in the 50,000 - 100,000 word range.

Therefore, at your rate, to earn just one million dollars in a year, you'd have to write the equivalent of 1 - 2 full novels per day.

A) You're not writing that much.
    B) Even if you could, the writing would be complete crap, because it would be rushed with absolutely no time for editing.​

As someone who not only commands several times your writing rate, but someone who actively and heavily participates in the freelance writing community (especially in helping to guide newer and underpaid writers in their quests to turn their writing into a profitable career), I'll share a little bit of wisdom with you.

1. Networking is vital to really running a successful freelance writing career. Alienating some of the top referrers to other writers is a stupid move.

2. Big words don't make up for lack of substance in what you're saying, but they do alienate this kind of client base.

3. Don't post articles that prove your inadequacies as a writer, and then try to insult people who call you out on it when you claim perfection on any level. Nothing I said was based on assumptions... it was based entirely on the inaccuracies of your own words, and nothing else.​

jhmattern, Jun 16, 2007 IP
  19. syedwasi87

syedwasi87 Active Member

Best Answers:
    this is just amazing :eek: especially since my math was so weak in high school..

gotta figure that out...

now who wanna be a millionare?..................

lots to write....lol

syedwasi87, Jun 16, 2007 IP
  20. marketjunction

Best Answers:
    What does any of this have to do with Zac and his problem?

Exactly. Nothing.

marketjunction, Jun 16, 2007 IP