1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Sites being heavily penalized by Google

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by WabbyTwax, Jun 21, 2006.

1. nbj622

nbj622 Guest

Best Answers:
    after reading the entire 14 pages of this thread, i have come to some deductions:

1) coops are now close to 100% USELESS at building TOP RANKING pages. (thanks to Big Daddy) google has improved the equation and no longer awards points for irrelevant links. Will you be penalized? maybe, depending on how many banned links and irrelevant (overused, bought) links you are serving. footer links are more likely to be fully ignored (not penalized).

2) having sponsored or advertisement listed next to coop links IS a good idea! Google DOES IT for adwords/adsense, and it would NOT BE DIFFICULT to program that type of check whatsoever. As a webmaster, you should no longer be trying to conceal coop links as ADS, because it takes much less than a genious (or smart program) to realise they are there for PAGERANK purposes rather than getting clicks. So if you are intent on using coop - use NOINDEX and/or write 'advertisements'.

3) Google prefers pages that are linked with ONLY relevant links (not necessarily relevant only to the site, but also to the discussion(text) within it and around the links.). Matt Cutts' blog is exactly structured this way. Try using ONLY relevant links, this should do the opposite of using COOP links. oh wait... im going to have to actually be creative instead of copy/paste code, damn thats not part of the plan.

4) SVicious, I checked your Alexa ratings of late. you are doing HALF the volume (according to alexa) as when this post was originally written. not a good sign for your links. not saying you were punished, but they probably arent doing you any good either (unless theyre making you money ;) ). i doubt that tho.

5) Fryman - ... :eek: .... wow. every forum has one guy like that.

I believe that COOP ads were indeed disruptive to some peoples sites. WHY?? because they placed predominently visable COOP links that had nothing to do with their sites, and linked to sites that google DID NOT LIKE, while not writting 'advertisement' or 'sponsor' near them. If you want to prove me different, plz do, i am no means an expert here, please show screenshots of your top ranked site that contradict my explicit guidelines.

good to hear that google isnt a complete a@$ and will reinclude your site with a nice apology for obstructing their RULES AGAINST USING LINK COOPS!. i think that says it all. :rolleyes:

..thanks to all you novices for the great info about COOPS/LINKS/PR/KEYWORDS ... took me over 2 hours to ponder all this madness, I have to say I learnt quite a bit. :D

nbj622, Sep 10, 2006 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  2. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    No my volume hasn't been cut in half. It increases just about every month, along with my sales. :D

But, I'm done trying to talk sense into people that don't want to hear it (Not meaning yourself, nbj622, at least you read the entire thread and analized it the best you could).

ViciousSummer, Sep 11, 2006 IP
    nddb likes this.
  3. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the compliment and promotion!! Wheeeew was tired of being a peon ;)

Nice post, nbj622 and welcome to DP

Cheers,

H

Homer, Sep 11, 2006 IP
  4. williamjack

williamjack Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No.that is quite funny i did not done any thing.But got my site improve in SE.:D

williamjack, Sep 11, 2006 IP
  5. MaxS

MaxS Peon

Best Answers:
    I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. :confused:

For those that sent in a reinclusion request, where did you do it? It seems as if they took down that form.

MaxS, Sep 11, 2006 IP
  6. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    1) This is the post I was referring to which really has nothing to do with this thread

2) I thought your reply was kwewl (cool) and if you check your reputation you will see confirmation of that.

3) You may want to read this first for reinclusion.

H

Homer, Sep 11, 2006 IP
  7. MaxS

MaxS Peon

Best Answers:
    Alright. That whole "kwewl" thing threw me off; I guess I'm not down with the lingo anymore.

MaxS, Sep 11, 2006 IP
  8. Foggy

Foggy Link and Site Buyer

Best Answers:
    I'm sorry I haven't read the whole thread but isn't a structure like the coop easily infiltrated by SEs and therefore, logically, not a good place to take risks with your main site?

How many actually use a "disposable" domain for the coop? ;)

Foggy, Sep 12, 2006 IP
  9. WabbyTwax

WabbyTwax Peon

Best Answers:
    WabbyTwax, Sep 28, 2006 IP
  10. sonny26

sonny26 Peon

Best Answers:
    I am banned too ! heavily ... never again

sonny26, May 30, 2007 IP
  11. AlexandraUK

AlexandraUK Banned

Best Answers:
    LOL ... last year I lost 5 top ranking websites do to the coop .. They all got banned from google after 1 month of using coop ... I lost about $2k/mo from those sites

why ppl still think maybe coop is safe? there are too many ppl that got burned by using it

AlexandraUK, Jun 14, 2007 IP
    Will.Spencer likes this.
  12. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    AlexandraUK:

Did these sites use the co-op outbound or inbound?

Did you file a reinclusion request with Google? Did your sites ever recover?

Will.Spencer, Jun 14, 2007 IP
  13. nddb

nddb Peon

Best Answers:
    What a joke. You do know that to submit a reinclusion request you have to ADMIT to wrongdoing?

This is a total joke, the co-op doesn't cause penalties, I think you just got hit by one of the fucking MANY MANY MANY google jolts that knocks everyone down from time to time.

I really wish people would stop blaming everything on the co-op. It's HERESY INFIDELS!

nddb, Jun 14, 2007 IP
  14. SEO Jeff

SEO Jeff Active Member

Best Answers:
    nddb,

Please dont red rep me because reinclusion does work in easy cases. Who knows what I was banned for but everything besides the coop was good so I figured it was the coop links. After taking it down and all I got back in the index in 3 weeks after sending a reinclusion request but this is all old school now since the coop since then has made some changes.

SEO Jeff, Jun 16, 2007 IP
    Will.Spencer likes this.
  15. nddb

nddb Peon

Best Answers:
    It doesn't matter what changes its made. If I may quote ViciousSummer :

If you were COMPLETELY NOT INDEXED AT ALL, then MAYBE you had been banned and needed to submit a reinclusion request, but most people think they are banned when they aren't. Not to mention, you would be like what? 0.0001% of the co-op that's been banned for using the co-op? Yet you still think it's the co-op? Could have been a million other things, listen to ViciousSummer.

Secondly, a reinclusion request forces you to admit wrongdoing. If you admitted to google that you think the co-op was wrongdoing (INFIDEL), I sure hope you took it down and don't use it anymore. Be foolish not to wouldn't it?

nddb, Jun 16, 2007 IP
  16. SEO Jeff

SEO Jeff Active Member

Best Answers:
    These forums run the coop with the Nofollow option. Google will not do anything to the links with nofollow. My site ran the option of avoiding nofollow as it takes 3x the weight away and back then it did not exist when I was penilized. As far as weight goes towards sites that dont run the code the coop still helps hugely IMO. Sites that do run the code and get IBL's from the coop still help greatly as well.

17. nddb

nddb Peon

Best Answers:
    nofollow has nothing to do with it, back then, when there was no nofollow option. You were like one of the very few that claims to have been banned for using co-op, while everyone else was fine. Google singled you out, banned you, and ignored everyone else. right?

You and Will.Spencer should talk. You'd get along real well.

nddb, Jun 16, 2007 IP
  18. SEO Jeff

SEO Jeff Active Member

Best Answers:
    there was many others who got the same problem. I did not think it was the coop until some big sites out there who got the same thing as me. The sites were million dollar sites like myspacesupport.com for an example who orginaly I got to run the coop. He said once he removed the links he got back in so I followed his advice and I do have to say it worked. Was it the coop? Was it just 1 bad apple in the coop the time Google cached my site? Who knows. I was not completely banned like the site was deindexed or anything. I just was nowhere to be found for any keyword.

Do I still use the coop? Of course because I still think it helps a ton. I am a huge coop user still with 450k weight so I still believe the coop greatly reduces SEO time with good IBL's

19. nddb

nddb Peon

Best Answers:
    Firstly, give me some of that 450k weight.

Secondly, you weren't banned from google, therefore you should have never submitted a reinclusion request

Thirdly, ups and downs happen all the time, to everyone here. Only a select few choose to blame those ups and downs on the co-op and not some google algo flux. People like to think they are being singled out. I'm sure there's some psychological principle.

Fourthly, the co-op got you banned, but you still use and it still helps you out. So really, you don't think it got you banned. Either that or you think it was some kind of accident that won't happen to every site you run. It's pretty hard for anyone to take you seriously when you are still running the co-op, that you claim got you banned.

Fifthly, seriously, you have way too much weight for someone who doesn't even like the co-op. :eek:

nddb, Jun 16, 2007 IP
  20. SEO Jeff

SEO Jeff Active Member

Best Answers:
    Not banned but pulled from serps and I waited 4 weeks before I sent a reinclusion request to see if I would return but never did. Anyways I am a programmer so I made some changes to my own coop ASP.NET 2.0 control only I use.