1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Safari on Windows!!

Discussion in 'CSS' started by AdamSee, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Ah, no... Recently I decided to develop a new site with DW8 on my Mac, using FF and Safari as my test beds. After 2 weeks developing the site, I opened up the site on my Windows XP machine under IE. It was phucked... Literally. I had to start over from the ground up.

IE interprets things like image Maps, differently from any other browser... Tables, just about everything...

I ended up hand coding the site in bbedit and pulling any java as a result. I fault DW with this for the most part, because it should really point out these problems in the development stage, keeping in mind that there are unfortunately a large number of misguided souls still using IE.

This time around after completely developing the site using BBedit, all hand coded, and only testing with and IE browser on a PC, I opened up FF on the PC, FF on the Mac, Safari, Mozilla, etc.. and did not see a single issue.

If it works with IE, it's probably gonna work with everything...

Mia, Jun 15, 2007 IP
  2. zk0

zk0 Peon

Best Answers:
    You gotta ask how they think. Releasing a beta version that has this many bugs. geeeeesh..

zk0, Jun 15, 2007 IP
  3. KLB

KLB Peon

Best Answers:
    I find it best to code using Firefox as my primary development platform, and validate to W3C HTML4.01 Strict and CSS2 specifications. I then cross checks in Opera and IE 6&7. I almost NEVER have more than minor cosmetic problems with MSIE or Opera. The key is validating the code and using tableless designs. I only use tables for true data tables; I don't use them for controlling layout.

The fastest way to introduce cross browser issues is to code only using MSIE and to not validate one's code.

I have even used complex image maps with no issues.

KLB, Jun 15, 2007 IP
  4. LegendaryPosting

LegendaryPosting Peon

Best Answers:
    if you want it to work properly get a mac its kind of like running ie on a mac it SUCKS!!!!!!!!!

LegendaryPosting, Jun 15, 2007 IP
  5. KLB

KLB Peon

Best Answers:
    So it would seem that some people figured out what Apple had in mind when they released Safari on Windows and many of us were wrong. Read:
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=511

Apple wants to wipe out Firefox and Opera.

KLB, Jun 16, 2007 IP
  6. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    That was probably the worst opinion I've seen expressed in a blog in a long time. Interesting take on the subject, but completely out in left field.

Mia, Jun 18, 2007 IP