1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it legal to download an XP torrent if you have a legal key?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by kingjacob, Jun 9, 2007.

Okay my XP crashed on me and I tried to use the recovery disk that came with my laptop but other than reformatting my hard drive erasing all my files it didnt work, so currently Im using the breezy badger version of ubuntu and while its something its not XP, I have a product key for XP on the bottom of my laptop so Im wondering if I downloaded and installed XP would it be legal since I technically already bought a license to run XP on this computer?

kingjacob, Jun 9, 2007 IP
  2. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    Im sure its fine, your licence allows you to run 1 installation of the software.

sweetfunny, Jun 9, 2007 IP
  3. rentdn

rentdn Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No it's not illegal you can do it

rentdn, Jun 9, 2007 IP
  4. AstarothSolutions

AstarothSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    Obviously you would have to make sure the torrent doesnt include anything illegal like a crack and for your own sake no viruses.

Microsoft does send out replacement CDs without a license key for a small fee which would be a much more sensible option to avoid potential arguments and risks

AstarothSolutions, Jun 9, 2007 IP
  5. charlinks

charlinks Guest

Best Answers:
    If I remember correctly most notebooks/laptops contain the copy of the XP on a partition of the hard drive itself. This is another reason why you never got an actual DVD. You can also call Microsoft and may be pay some very small fee + shipping since you already bought the damn thing.

I would stay away from torrents since that's a sure way for someone to install a trojan horse on your machine and then steal your personal information. Most likely this won't happen but why risk it?

charlinks, Jun 9, 2007 IP
  6. Scorpio

Scorpio Peon

Best Answers:
    Its better to contact MS support and inform them of your key and request a new copy. The key is the most valuable part of the Xp package not the software itself

Scorpio, Jun 10, 2007 IP
  7. onixz100

onixz100 Peon

Best Answers:
    When you buy windows XP, what you're paying for is the license key rather than the product itself. (Except the packaging, but who actually would factor that in? And you should be buying OEM versions anyways).

One of my terrible analogies:

You aren't allowed to steal a toilet paper dispenser from stores.

You own a toilet paper roll at home which you paid for legally.

Your toilet paper came with a : GET FREE DISPENSER deal

You goto the store and take the dispenser using your coupon

You go home and put them together and they have toilet paper babies T_T

onixz100, Jun 12, 2007 IP
    J8Diamonds likes this.
  8. killafawk

killafawk Active Member

Best Answers:
    ok the above post confused me. but anyway, as long as it isn't a computer specific Installation file then you should be ok, i know that dell windows cd's don't work to well on other computers because mostly they keep all the drivers on the CD too. so if you installed XP on a Sony computer with a dell CD your drivers wouldn't be compatiable with the software and you would basically have to go diver hunting for like 10+ drivers just to get basic stuff like sound and video working correctly.

killafawk, Jun 12, 2007 IP
  9. craiger22

craiger22 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Technically it is illegal. Just like in the mp3 battles, even if you already own the cd it was illegal to download the mp3s because they are not YOUR mp3s/ You must remember you are still downloading a very heavily copyrighted disc if you have a legit key or not.

craiger22, Jun 12, 2007 IP
  10. Lazaru5

Lazaru5 Peon

Best Answers:
    The legality surrounding the download and use of software that is not purchased from the manufacturer confuses lots of people.

Basically, downloading software via torrents is piracy, you are NOT ALLOWED (any more) to make a "backup copy" of most software, and even if you are you are NOT ALLOWED to distribute it.

If you download and install a "pirated" version of windows XP, the chances are that your "legitamate" key will be worthless anyway since the advent of "Genuine Advantage" (the need to "activate" windows). Unless you have a multi-license key you will only be allowed to activate windows once with that key. Using backup CD's provided with your laptop/pc doesn't remove the validation details from the hard drive and that's why you can re-install several times and never need to re-validate. A complete reformat, however, DOES remove the validation details which will make your legitamate key worthless (you will be asked to validate windows again but your key will return the message that it has already been used).

My advice would be to contact the manufacturers or the retailers of your laptop and explain your situation, they should have some kind of process whereby they can give you a setup disc/reinstall windows for you but i would also advise that you ensure that you have all important data backed up either on CD/DVD or another, separate, hard drive.

If the manufacturers/retailers can't (or won't) help, then your only remaining course of action is to call microsoft and ask them to help you.

I have recently had a similar issue insofar as, i own an OEM version of windows XP SP2 that is installed on my pc, i wanted to reformat but knew that a format would mean i couldn't revalidate windows. I called microsoft UK and explained the situation to them and asked for a new key, they actually wanted all sorts of details from the CD itself aswell as the old key, (presumably to check that i was telling them the truth and not attempting to get a legitamate key for a pirated version).

Long and short: Using torrents is piracy, your software will be illegal, legitamate key or not.

Lazaru5, Jun 13, 2007 IP
    kingjacob likes this.
  11. Kontent.solutions

Kontent.solutions Peon

Best Answers:
    Sensible -- no virus prob, no violation fear..

~G

Kontent.solutions, Jun 13, 2007 IP
  12. LegendaryPosting

LegendaryPosting Peon

Best Answers:
    they actually send you the disk for free if its off of a dell i know that for sure it takes about a week for it to get to you

LegendaryPosting, Jun 13, 2007 IP
  13. agnivo007

agnivo007 Peon

Best Answers:
    You can have upto 2 backup copies of an application by law.

agnivo007, Jun 13, 2007 IP
  14. pangea

pangea Guest

Best Answers:
    Id definitely send an email to MS, or drop them a line. (telephone them - do you have the saying 'drop them a line' in the US??? - just wondering!!)

onixz also confused me - what has toilet paper got to do with MS? Or should i not be asking? lol

pangea, Jun 13, 2007 IP
  15. craiger22

craiger22 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yes but this only applies if you made the copy. A toorent is not your personal backup copy and is piracy.

craiger22, Jun 13, 2007 IP
  16. Stroh

Stroh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You'd be better off calling Windows up and getting a replacment. Torrents may be nice, but can be troublesome when you have to wait forever for it to download...

Stroh, Jun 13, 2007 IP
  17. kingjacob

kingjacob Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the advice, I called MS and they told me to call toshiba and toshiba told me to give them 35 dollars so they could walk me through the recovery so I could tell them their recovery disk doesnt work so instead of wasting 35 bucks, I went to Frys and the nice people there let me use a disk for free. Since I was already their I bought a new hard drive as well so thank you Frys for not giving me the run around.

kingjacob, Jun 16, 2007 IP
  18. pr0xy122

pr0xy122 Peon

Best Answers:
    Im pretty damn sure its legal. I mean you buy the product so... yeah.

pr0xy122, Jun 16, 2007 IP
  19. iGenius

iGenius Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes it is legal. Because the price you pay is not for the disc but for the license i.e. the key.

Although, if you contact MS/Your laptop manufacturer, they'll replace the disk.

iGenius, Jun 16, 2007 IP
  20. alex894

alex894 Guest

Best Answers:
    1. Move to Canada to download torrents, somewhat safer.

2. technically, you are only buying the license to use the software, by having the one product key. Re: the genuine advantage: aren't all the installation CDs the same? The Genuine Advantage would only check for a valid license key in order for the user to download the thriftiest of MS updates.

3. best bet is to call your dealer or whomever you got the laptop from to provide you with a OEM OS CD, or call Microsoft.

4. Onixz ::woot::I only got the part where you need all the components to make something work, i.e in this case the software and the key, her case the roll and the dispenser, put it together and you can do your business in peace. out of the topic, what dispensers are given away for free? are they from the dollar store? ... nothing's free.

alex894, Jun 17, 2007 IP