1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Pros and Cons of Uploading to YouTube vs. Google vid

Discussion in 'Google' started by telephone, Jun 9, 2007.

Anyone have any thoughts on where your content is best placed to get the best exposure? We've seen recently with Google's universal search results that vids can now be a part of basic SERPs. I am wondering if they're more likely to be listed among top results if they come from Google Video as opposed to YouTube.

Also, in Google's Help section for video, they say that "ultimately we envision most user-generated and premium video content being hosted on YouTube so that it can further enhance the YouTube experience."

Part of me says to submit my vids w/ YouTube b/c that's where all the action is and videos submitted via Google Vid should show up there anyway. The other says I might get a higher number of views if I submit them to Google Video.

Lastly, I am fearful that if I submit the videos to both services it'll be seen as spamming and my videos will be penalized. Ideas?:confused:

telephone, Jun 9, 2007 IP
    helleborine likes this.
  2. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Pros of Google Video is Con of Youtube:
    Google video runs much smoother and faster than Youtube, atleast for me, Youtube display errors quite frequently.

Pro of Youtube is Con of Google Video:
    Youtube has much more "awareness" and a larger community when compared to Google Video.

BigBadWolf, Jun 9, 2007 IP
  3. telephone

telephone Peon

Best Answers:
    So when you upload, which do you end up choosing?

telephone, Jun 9, 2007 IP
  4. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I use YouTube and embed the code to display the videos on my webpages.

If Google Videos is smoother and more efficient... Mmmmm... then I regret giving my "business" to YouTube!

In my case, I don't care so much about the community, upload speed is more important.

helleborine, Jun 9, 2007 IP
  5. telephone

telephone Peon

Best Answers:
    just noticed that this thread was shown on the Search Engine Roundtable (hi Tamar!)

The reason I thought there's an outside chance a video may get more views when being uploaded to Google Vid was because I thought that as they're more "native" to the Google environment than when on YouTube, perhaps they'd get indexed slightly faster and parsed into the new universal search results. Is that a crazy idea?

telephone, Jun 13, 2007 IP
  6. oseymour

oseymour Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    oseymour, Jun 13, 2007 IP
  7. tamar

tamar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi telephone. :)

It might not be. I'm of the opinion though that people will seek out videos when they're looking for a "video fix" (or at least that's just me, because my computer is generally muted or I need to pull out the headphones because of the environment I am in), and *the* place to do that is YouTube. I understand what you mean about the results being indexed, and it's hard to say. I can only speak for myself but I rarely search for videos. The visibility in Google Universal search will probably increase views and thus might get you the results you're looking for, but I'm not completely sure if that's the case. In any event, I still don't think submitting video to multiple sites is a problem, and there are others besides the aforementioned two. :)

Hope that helped at least a little bit.

tamar, Jun 13, 2007 IP
  8. jorn

jorn Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi all, we upload our videos to youtube and google,
    Since youtube joined google # of views on google are down
    The most efficient until today is youtube,
    a. a local newspaper found us at youtube and asked us to produce news videos for them
    b. a national newspaper used one of our youtube videos alongside an article

jorn, Jun 13, 2007 IP
  9. telephone

telephone Peon

Best Answers:
    SEO Ranter, Tamar, & jorn,

Thank you for the ideas. I will go ahead and submit our vids to both services (as well as Daily Motion, maybe Yahoo Vid, MySpace vid)

telephone, Jun 13, 2007 IP
  10. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Google video results show youtube videos, so youtube is where I would put the money for now.

debunked, Jun 13, 2007 IP
  11. aletheides

aletheides Banned

Best Answers:
    Thats what I was going to say - doesn't google video display youtube vids anway ?

aletheides, Jun 13, 2007 IP