1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Kindergarten Graduation?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by dawggone, Jun 2, 2007.

My son just completed his kindergarten year in a local elementary school.

He and his classmates when through a long formal graduation ceremony. The fifth graders also have graduation as do eighth graders -- but at least they are going to a different school.

When I was in school (admittedly a different time and place) we only graduated from high school. What gives with this trend?

Some parents are cheering and raising a ruckus in the stands. Other parents actually threw graduation parties for their kids.

We took him out to dinner as that is what my parents always used to do to celebrate a job well done at the end of each school year.

So who is right? Is graduating from kindergarten a big deal?

dawggone, Jun 2, 2007 IP
  2. Night Owl

Night Owl Peon

Best Answers:
    Weird. :) Next they will have to start passing exams to "graduate" from kindergarten. :)

Night Owl, Jun 2, 2007 IP
  3. Skinny

Skinny Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the idea is rather dumb. I think that parents (and I'm not one) should be rewarding their kids for doing a good job.

After all by teaching your kids that you appreciate when they do things well they will hopefully continue to acheive.

I really don't think this graduation is necessary. I never got any graduation from Kindergarten.

After all 25 years from now I doubt they will remember this at all.

We had a graduation from middle school (after gr. 8) and i thought that it was dumb. It's not the real thing . . .it's a total waste of time.

In short, I don't think it's a big deal and quite frankly shouldn't be.

Skinny

Skinny, Jun 2, 2007 IP
  4. Computerized

Computerized Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I always thought the whole idea of kindergarten was pretty useless. My friend's brother failed kindergarten because he was too noisy. That was pretty funny though :D

Computerized, Jun 2, 2007 IP
  5. skibladner

skibladner Peon

Best Answers:
    It's the consumer culture. People will grasp the slightest opportunity to throw a party, celebrate and show off their wealth.

skibladner, Jun 2, 2007 IP
  6. lowco2525

lowco2525 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think from Kindergarten to 1st grade is a big step, but I see why entering middle, high, or graduating from high school is a big deal though. It's an opportunity for kids to feel accomplished. It's a big leap to go to a new school, and I think for parents they should embrace it while their kids are still young and growing... and not taking exams. :)

lowco2525, Jun 2, 2007 IP
  7. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamer™

Best Answers:
    Celebrating graduation from Kindergarten is a great idea as it's a once in a lifetime event just like today is June 02, 2007, this will never happen again and it's a good reason to celebrate and get drunk;)

Roman, Jun 2, 2007 IP
  8. lowco2525

lowco2525 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Very nice outlook on things. :p

lowco2525, Jun 2, 2007 IP
  9. tbarr60

tbarr60 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am glad (or sad) to see this isn't just a California thing. These days, everything and everybody is "special" so nothing is special.

tbarr60, Jun 2, 2007 IP
  10. sawz

sawz Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    my daughter will be 23 soon, and when got done with kindergarten, they had a graduation ceremony which i thought was pretty cool. of course that was over 15 years ago,

sawz, Jun 2, 2007 IP
  11. FOX LORE

FOX LORE Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Teacher had my daughter to go all day long Cu's of her hyper activity. I enjoy it and she did too.;)

FOX LORE, Jun 2, 2007 IP
  12. FOX LORE

FOX LORE Notable Member

Best Answers:

Yes, I think is rather dumb and useless. And will leave it at that.:mad:

FOX LORE, Jun 2, 2007 IP
  13. kingjacob

kingjacob Peon

Best Answers:
    I think from kindergarden to 1st is a big deal as you dont have nap time anymore. Do I think they should have a graduation? no but I think the parents should do something individually to show them they did a good job.

kingjacob, Jun 2, 2007 IP
  14. tbarr60

tbarr60 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If they show up for 170 of 180 days they graduate. Good job?

I had an 8th grade and 12th grade graduation and I remember thinking that many of my classmates just showed up, took they're basic classes when they weren't cutting, spent time in the bathroom smoking, and some stole supplies from the chem lab, and now they were being honored. In college at least you have to be accepted and pretty much make it on your own effort not being pushed by your parents.

tbarr60, Jun 2, 2007 IP
  15. tecolote

tecolote Peon

Best Answers:
    Just enjoy the moment, they grow up too fast.

tecolote, Jun 2, 2007 IP
  16. tbarr60

tbarr60 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That's not the point. You can enjoy them just by bouncing a ball with them, taking them to the beach, going for an ice cream. Commericalizing by selling the schools and parents caps and gowns (oh, and you need a new outfit and shoes under the gown), invitations, limo rides, catering, and various party supplies doesn't make it any more special. It probably gives more couples more reason to justify outsourcing parenting to day care centers and after school programs so they can afford countless "special" events.

tbarr60, Jun 2, 2007 IP
  17. tecolote

tecolote Peon

Best Answers:

My oldest daughter is "graduating" kindergarden this month, as for the ceremony itself, we don´t have to buy anything extra, they use the gowns of the last generation, she is very excited about that day as am I, but of course I agree with you, throwing her a catered party or using a limo would be ridicolous.

We´ll probably take her to Chuck´e Cheese or something like that.

tecolote, Jun 2, 2007 IP
  18. Jargenhunter

Jargenhunter Guest

Best Answers:
    I graduated preschool and soon high school. Never 8th or 5th grade... I think graduation from kindergarten is good as long as its not too extravagant. A little bit of a celebration is good, gives them something to look forward to.

Jargenhunter, Jun 2, 2007 IP
  19. tilly842

tilly842 Peon

Best Answers:
    I see no real reason to have a graduation ceremony for kindergarten.

At the end of the year in all other grades we just had a little celebration in the classroom and it was great enough just knowing you were going on to a higher grade.
    Having a ceremony for a youngster who does not even know what it is they have accomplished is just silly.
    Parents may as well throw a party for them when they learn to tie their shoes or share toys.
    I think it may be for the parents, "Yea! We have not yet screwed the kid up! Lets celebrate."

tilly842, Jun 2, 2007 IP
  20. tecolote

tecolote Peon

Best Answers:
    It´s not like Bill Gates will be giving the commencment speech, it´s just 20 kids singing Row row row your boat and parents taking pictures.

Lighten up.

tecolote, Jun 2, 2007 IP