1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Deleting posts

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by Nick_Mayhem, May 30, 2007.

I have one member. who thinks he wants his posts deleted just like that.

We don't charge users for using our forum. Plus I didn't even invited him to come there and sell his domains. I can understand that if the domain name is sold the new buyer would like some kind of privacy and I told him that I can edit the threads if he wants.

But he says no just delete my threads. :(

Which I showed him that it cannot be done as he has agreed at the time of registration that the posts and the threads will be the property of the Nameslot.com

The threads are old and are already indexed in the search engines. Moreover other members have also posted below it.

Please let me know what should I do for this guy.

Nick_Mayhem, May 30, 2007 IP
  2. BILZ

BILZ Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't delete it unless he gave a really good reason.

BILZ, May 30, 2007 IP
    Nick_Mayhem likes this.
  3. petehols

petehols Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Agreed I wouldn't delete them either unless there was some exceptional circumstances. when he registered he agreed to the rules so he now has to stick by them.

Pete

petehols, May 30, 2007 IP
  4. forumrating

forumrating Notable Member

Best Answers:
    nope do not delete it. it might have certain replies by other members so it hurts the forum, and you do not want to do that.

forumrating, May 30, 2007 IP
  5. kentuckyslone

kentuckyslone Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Do not delet the posts. You have absolutely no obligation to do that. If the original poster could show you a really legitimate reason for deletion that you could agree with it would be different.

kentuckyslone, May 30, 2007 IP
  6. Nick_Mayhem

Nick_Mayhem Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks friends. All your above opinions are pointing towards the same direction :)

He is just PMing me everyday. :D

Don't know why he is so much frustrated and wants to see his posts deleted.

Thanks for all your Input.

Nick_Mayhem, May 30, 2007 IP
  7. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That is not part of the standard little registration blurb that must be checked in order to continue with the registration process. Not even if you have rules listed on your site (in a thread, or in the FAQ system)... The only way it can be truly be part of the reg process was if you edited/translated the regulation guidelines.

That may be something to look into... Something else to think about is creating a copyright policy that governs the members posts ~ grant yourself non-exclusive rights over all that was posted, and state that content will NOT be removed after an X amount of time.

I've actually had a member try to sue over getting his content deleted. he was bluffing, but it got me motivated enough to look. Generally speaking you are safe in the matter, as posting on a forum has "reasonable expectations" such as being unable to edit ones posts, and that such posts may often be "quoted" (under fair use).

I'd tell the member to bugger off, then make some official policy changes which ARE required reading prior to registration.

Qryztufre, May 31, 2007 IP
  8. Nick_Mayhem

Best Answers:
    Yes I have edited the registration things from many months ago which included this things as I read one thread on this one in another forum. Thought it would be useful to add this rules rather then enforcing them afterwards. And they came in handy this time.

Moreover I have a auto locking coded into my board that locks the threads that don't have a reply in last 3 months.

Nick_Mayhem, May 31, 2007 IP
  9. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Then tell him to bugger off, and he'll have to. If he didn't like the rules when he sighed up he should not have signed up.

Qryztufre, May 31, 2007 IP
  10. YourSiteKindaBlows

YourSiteKindaBlows Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't delete easy as that! If you need an explanation as to why you should not delete, you have yet to understand the power of a forum admin!

Just say no!

YourSiteKindaBlows, May 31, 2007 IP
  11. shuttle

shuttle Active Member

Best Answers:
    if you delete just a single message then the whole point of the thread will change. You are running the risk to loose the meaning cause the succeeding post would make no sens I guess.

shuttle, Jun 1, 2007 IP
  12. rater

rater Member

Best Answers:
    Create a new user, move this troublmaker's posts to that new user, edit out the domain name :) You can do that in vBulletin, don't know if you can do that for your forum (basically, renaming the user).

rater, Jun 1, 2007 IP
  13. inworx

inworx Peon

Best Answers:
    Just don't delete. If you own a forum, don't let members play with you. Indeed, you should play with them. Thats the rule if you own a forum!

Say him if he wants to leave, no problem. He isn't bounded by any contract so if he wants to depart, click the logout button and never visit the forum again :mad:

inworx, Jun 2, 2007 IP
  14. Nick_Mayhem

Best Answers:
    Got it. I solved the problem :D

I banned him. He was already crossing the line too much but in past I let him go just like that. This time I didn't :D

Nick_Mayhem, Jun 2, 2007 IP
  15. shuttle

shuttle Active Member

Best Answers:
    It seems that you have solved the initial problem with an Iron Hand! :cool:

shuttle, Jun 4, 2007 IP