1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

what do you ask your clients when designing graphics?

Discussion in 'Graphics & Multimedia' started by tdd1984, May 18, 2007.

Question what do you guys ask your clients when consulting with them on a graphics design job to make sure it meets there standards, like do you ask for colors, font size?

do you ask them to show an example of they way you'd like it to look, or do you provide a mockup(sketch) before hand?

tdd1984, May 18, 2007 IP
  2. Tiggi

Tiggi Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey, tdd1984,

Not much in the graphics' business but I have many friends engaged in that and know their typical practices. Normally I client would come and ask for a given graphic design job to be done and they'd be asked to sketch it or describe it in details. Every single design job should normally begin like this, to avoid any misunderstandings.

-- Tiggs

Tiggi, May 18, 2007 IP
  3. rajatoo9

rajatoo9 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well...I ask for Colors,Size and if there is any style you want that ..:)
    Only these help alot ;)

Rajat

rajatoo9, May 18, 2007 IP
    fej likes this.
  4. forumrating

forumrating Notable Member

Best Answers:
    other references or either something if they have in their mind for color preferences, or their existing logo , graphics

forumrating, May 18, 2007 IP
  5. tdd1984

tdd1984 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    lol come on guys more details then that no one here has worked for a graphics company, and consulted with clients to get here graphics done?

tdd1984, May 18, 2007 IP
  6. SgtRumble

SgtRumble Peon

Best Answers:
    I just ask them the basics:
    1 What are you looking for?
    2 Describe it the best way they can.
    3 Do you have a drawing or photo that is similar?
    4 Colors and size?
    After that I will come up with a few samples to see if I am on the right path and go from there.

SgtRumble, May 21, 2007 IP
  7. marcusa007

marcusa007 Active Member

Best Answers:
    What I do is:
    1. Collect all printing material that the company has (these are things that have been approved and put into production and shows you the taste good or bad of the customer.
    2. I look at everything the competition has to offer in printed form.
    3. put together a list of the websites the competition has
    4. Meet with the client and go through each competitor print and online material and find out what he likes and most important dis-likes. Why is dis-likes so important? Well it keeps you from making the mistake of including something a customer does not like and you from loosing the job.
    5. Take good notes and don't forget to take good notes ;)
    6. Do not give any negative comments about any of the customers design or even of the competitors, you never know who did the work and it shows more character when avoiding this
    7. Do not ask them how they want the site to look like you are the designer that is why they hired you. This is the information you got from asking them the likes and dis-likes.
    8. Make three designs from the information you have attained. 1 or 2 is not enough to make an educated decision and more than thre overwhelms the client and starts the game of let’s mix the designs.
    9. Stick with company fonts and colors and logo. DO NOT ALTER THESE this is the biggest mistake (unless you are asked to redesign them as well)
    10. Stay in control and be able to explain what you were thinking on each design. A good designer should be able to explain what he is trying to achieve. Don't say "because I liked it" not good go for "well the color blue really makes your logo more visible on the page ...." or something like that, you get the idea.

This should get you started and you should practice this with someone or go over it in your head a few times. You will get better at this as you go and see that it really is a natural flow if getting the right info and most important the job done.

Good Luck!

marcusa007, May 21, 2007 IP
  8. mitcharr

mitcharr Notable Member

Best Answers:
    well, i am a designer, and when someone is asking for a logo or something, and i would like the person to either: be very specific in what she wants, so i can use her idea and turn it into something. or not very specific, so i can be creative, but i like having basic details like color title and size

mitcharr, May 21, 2007 IP
  9. tdd1984

Best Answers:
    Mainly I do the sales, but consult with people on the graphics, we just hired a graphics designer, why is this what you do? Do you consult with graphics for a living?

tdd1984, May 22, 2007 IP
  10. sir_round

sir_round Active Member

Best Answers:
    I ask them to tell me how they imagine it should look like. Then I ask them if they want the graphic to convey some special or hidden message. We discuss colors and stuff like that. Then I take my time to do the design. When everything is done I come up with two or three designs so that the client has options. Then after we both reach agreement on which one's the best for the business or whatever it is that he/she is doing, I implement the final touches, if you know what I mean.

sir_round, May 22, 2007 IP
  11. fej

fej Active Member

Best Answers:
    I nomally ask the colors, size, theme, and site url if available. What else!?!?! Hmmm. the price?! lol! :D

fej, May 22, 2007 IP
    rajatoo9 likes this.
  12. marcusa007

marcusa007 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have been in the graphic business since 1991 in Europe and USA and I have had to sell as a designer as well. As sales you should be able to do most of the mentioned steps it makes your job alot easier.

marcusa007, May 22, 2007 IP
  13. tdd1984

Best Answers:
    okay great do you always provide sketches? and what do you mean by print?

tdd1984, May 22, 2007 IP
  14. marcusa007

marcusa007 Active Member

Best Answers:
    yes I always present sketches costumers have a hard time imagining what you mean or what the designer means. With print I mean business cards, letter heads, brochures, flyers, stickers..... practically anything you can get your hands on what the company has done in the past.

marcusa007, May 22, 2007 IP
  15. tdd1984

Best Answers:
    I see, so is that how all company do it, they just tell them they will provide them with a sketch over night?

tdd1984, May 22, 2007 IP
  16. tdd1984

Best Answers:
    also how many sketches do you usually provide? how many revisions?

tdd1984, May 22, 2007 IP
  17. tdd1984

Best Answers:
    lol speaking of all that we need a graphics designer as a contractor right now.

tdd1984, May 22, 2007 IP
  18. marcusa007

marcusa007 Active Member

Best Answers:
    not over night! it depends on the designer some projects just fall into your lap and you have ideas right away and others take longer. You have to average the time out so you will never get in a bind. Also if the client gets the impression that it is a matter of throwing something together over night he may think he is overpaying. Yes all pro companies work that way or in a similar fashion.

3 sketches not more not less. Revisions is a little more difficult you have to get a feel for this. At a certain point you will just have to decide that you are not compatible with the client and move on. You should always get a certain fee though that is credited towards the total if the project moves past the sketch part. After all you do not want to work for free.

marcusa007, May 23, 2007 IP