1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Thinking about introducing ads. Should I inform my users via announcement?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by dpatel304, May 17, 2007.

My site is pretty small, and I've been reluctant to put ads on the site, simply because I think it will just annoy people and not earn me much. But, that has changed, and I have decided to put a few ads here and there (nothing too excessive).

Anyway, as a forum admin, I am trying to be extremely friendly and likeable, and one thing I strive to do is be completely upfront and honest about everything. Now, introducing ads, I want to know how some of you went about it. I'm not sure if I should tell them that ads are here, and the reason why (most of the money will be put into making the site better), or should I just do it.

dpatel304, May 17, 2007 IP
  2. checksum

checksum Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Be honest and forthcoming. Explain that the website costs actual money to maintain and putting ads on the site will help pay for those costs.

checksum, May 17, 2007 IP
  3. ruby

ruby Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thats right... be open and transparent and explain the costs of running the web site and justify the need for runninf ads.

ruby, May 18, 2007 IP
  4. CountryBoy

CountryBoy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Openness and transparency are admirable, but there's a fine line to tread - you shouldn't really be doing anything that attracts undue attention to your ads and, in my book, writing an introduction about them falls into that category. It also depends who is providing the ads - AdSense would probably see it my way.

CountryBoy, May 18, 2007 IP
  5. ruby

ruby Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes thats actually a good point, Google might see it as a form of persuasion.

ruby, May 18, 2007 IP
  6. Richand

Richand Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm with CountryBoy and Ruby. Adsense can be picky when it comes to that. :p

But there are other Ad providers, right? And if it wasn't too much intrusion, I'd really apreciate if someone could name a few of the best out there... :eek:

Richand, May 18, 2007 IP
  7. dpatel304

dpatel304 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I definitely won't be persuading them to click the ads. I just want to open and honest. But, if google would frown upon this, I guess its better to be safe and not say anything at all. I wouldn't make the announcement to get users to click on them, I would just do it to maintain my 'open, honest' attitude that I have as an admin.

dpatel304, May 18, 2007 IP
  8. ThatForumPlace

ThatForumPlace Peon

Best Answers:
    Say exactly what you told us, just take out the specific reference to ads. Rather, word it less directly, like: "As an admin here, I have the best intentions for this forum, blah blah blah... so occasionally you may see some features added or removed from this site. I'm not necessarily an expert at this, so I truly value your feedback - If at any point you see something that you don't like, feel free to send me a pm - comments and criticisms are always welcome." Do this at least 2 or 3 days before actually putting in the ads.

That way you're making it crystal clear to your users that they can tell you if they really hate the ads (or whatever other things you want to introduce in the future). If someone does PM you about the ads, at that point then can you tell them privately that the ads are there to support the site and are 'reinvested' into the future and maintenance of the site.

Naturally, you'll want to keep the stuff subtle - I'd recommend a footer large rectangle, and a medium square block (or two small squares side by side) after the LAST post in a thread, framed to look like a thread response. I did this without installing any mods - PM me if you'd like a hand coding it in - I've gotten quite good at it after installing it for 9 skins.

Good luck

ThatForumPlace, May 18, 2007 IP
  9. jl255

jl255 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    actually, i don't think it is necessary to inform them abt placing ads, as it wld be obvious and everyone knows the purposes....

rather, focus your energies on providing more value to your members

jl255, May 18, 2007 IP
  10. ThatForumPlace

ThatForumPlace Peon

Best Answers:
    That really depends on the crowd. You may have had good experiences in this regard, but I can say it's not always the case. Some crowds just LOVE to bitch, complain and jump to conclusions.

In the digitalpoint forums WE as the crowd know and understand these things clearly, but we're far from the standard 'typical' user unfortunately.

ThatForumPlace, May 19, 2007 IP
  11. jl255

jl255 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    no offence, but if the ppl are smart enough to participate in forums, they are smart enough to figure out what ads are for.... i wld be seriously worried abt the type of members i am having if they don't even understand the concept of advertising :rolleyes:

jl255, May 19, 2007 IP
  12. ThatForumPlace

ThatForumPlace Peon

Best Answers:
    No offence taken, but the reality is it just doesn't take that much brainpower to navigate a forum, ESPECIALLY for younger people who were pretty much born with a keyboard and mouse in their household.

Heck, I even see some of these people here at DP.

ThatForumPlace, May 19, 2007 IP
  13. dojo

dojo Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think you need to explain anything to anyone. I just added some ads on a forum of mine which didn't have them previously and didn't say a thing. They are adsense, so not annoying, no sound, no flash .. don't know why my members would have anything to comment. In the end I am paying for the host and domain and work like crazy on the projects, I'd love to see someone complain :D

dojo, May 20, 2007 IP
  14. petehols

petehols Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think you should draw any undue attention to them. Just put the ads up to cover costs and to make a bit of money. You will probably find none of the members will comment about them anyway as they are used to them.

Pete

petehols, May 22, 2007 IP
  15. jl255

jl255 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yes, this is a good point. announcing will draw undue attention to them, which might likely go un-noticed otherwise.

jl255, May 22, 2007 IP
  16. totalmasala

totalmasala Banned

Best Answers:
    its better in the sense that you will get the users back and certainly get your ads visited!

totalmasala, May 24, 2007 IP