1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

No more annual listings

Discussion in 'Directories' started by JohnScott, May 18, 2007.

1. JohnScott

JohnScott Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I was referring to standard listings.

JohnScott, May 18, 2007 IP
  2. wwws

wwws Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well said John Scott! I do agree with the regular listing to be permanent, but Featured should be yearly.

But what happens when a category gets over populated, since a directory like yours gets more in one day than I get in a year:p hehe he (i'm really crying here) What do you do with them?

wwws, May 18, 2007 IP
    deluxdon likes this.
  3. moneymakingguru

moneymakingguru Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sometimes yearly listing just simply turns people off..
    At least for me. I think value for money... and making people feel that they got a bargain is important.

Especially for link reviews, you will probably get more than once from one webmaster... in a span of a year, god knows how many submissions you will get if they deem you a good directory...

I am sure some people in this thread, i have submitted more than once for my sites, and more are coming right up, because of the results i see with their link review listings.

moneymakingguru, May 19, 2007 IP
  4. SilkySmooth

SilkySmooth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Let's not forget the reason why directories have started to go down this route in the first place... and that is so that they can continually profit to re-invest in their directories.

Now I say that in reference to the big, well promoted directories.

Smaller directories and those which are not well established have simply jumped on the band wagon with the mentality that if they can do it, why can't we. And on this point I agree with the OP, it does need to stop.

SilkySmooth, May 19, 2007 IP
  5. JohnScott

JohnScott Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes.
    That's debatable.

JohnScott, May 19, 2007 IP
  6. SilkySmooth

Best Answers:
    As I said, I was referring to the large well promoted directories such as Alive, Aviva, etc.

7. jl255

jl255 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i guess u have a right to complain abt these fees, but at the end of the day, its all about SUPPLY and DEMAND. If you feel it is not worth it to submit to such sites, then u shldn't. But obviously (fortunately or unfortunately?), many others don't feel the same way as many of these sites are still doing well with their annual subscriptions.

It can mean 1 of 2 things: Either ppl feel that it is well-worth the money, which means they disagree with you, or ppl are just blindly submitting to these directories purely due to their reputation.

So, by all means, stand by your ground and principles and don't submit to such sites if u don't agree. But remember, that market is run by demand and if there are enough of ppl like yourself, to reduce demand, then automatically these sites will remove the yearly subscriptions. Otherwise, they are prob here to stay :)

jl255, May 19, 2007 IP
  8. JohnScott

JohnScott Notable Member

Best Answers:
    In the case of those two directories, I agree that they do put the money into marketing and creating traffic for their clients. The majority of annual listing directories, however, do no such thing.

9. JohnScott

JohnScott Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The is also a number of people who do not understand that these directories will actually remove their listings if they do not renew.

10. SilkySmooth

Best Answers:
    Hence, why I went on, to agree with you... ;)

"And on this point I agree with the OP, it does need to stop."

JohnScott likes this.
  11. Richie_Ni

Richie_Ni Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly my point!
    I know of some directories charge annual fee though they are quite new.It's ridiculous!
    They followed Chris and Jeff in this but why the heck you didn't follow what they did/do in promoting directories??

Richie_Ni, May 19, 2007 IP
  12. Velocity

Velocity Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree that it is ridiculous that so many new directories charge annual fees.
    But they will only hurt themselves because they will not get many submissions.

I feel that even my directory is far from ready to be charging annual fee, even for featured listings. Yet, I promote it a lot, and sitll put every singe dime back into promotion.

Velocity, May 19, 2007 IP
  13. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I offer permanent links on all of my directories, on a few of them I offer a lower cost 1-year listing option. I don't see anything wrong with offering links either yearly or permanently as long as the directory owner is upfront about it.

I also look at it this way, a permanent link offered by BobsDuplicateDirectory.com is far worse an investment then listing for 1-year with any of the well known directories because the first one will probably be gone before the first year is up anyways or it will be sitting at PR1 with zero promotion. It all comes down to value, what you are getting for the money you invest.

"you should be reviewing it on a monthly basis anyway." - I think that is totally unrealistic.

jg123, May 19, 2007 IP
  14. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Well lets think about it....

This time next year i wake up and regardless if i get any submits or not
    ill still get last years payment fee...and if i ever decide to sell my directory
    i can still say that on top of the monthly rate i also have yearly subscribers
    that wish to be listed and make my directory worth more then the next

About delete the listing .... NO not me ... im sure that it will deactivate
    itself "maybe" as i havent gone threw 1 year but then i just re-activate it and thats that...

Doesnt it give you the option to choose?
    Ultimately you have the choice of selecting whether you wish to subscribe or not
    so in the end its really your choice whether you wish to ...

Ps... i charge $20 bucks for review not $80-$100 and im always building and bettering my directories
    anyone that knows what im about will say thats true he does ... i wish i could spend a few bucks on
    myself but everything i make goes right back into my business ;)

To each his own whether he wishes to subscribe or not ....
    will it change my review of your site...NO

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, May 19, 2007 IP
    popotalk likes this.
  15. smub

smub Notable Member

Best Answers:
    very awesome point made John

i submitted to Aviva when it was permenant listings ... and i was about to submit to alot of the big dawgs, till everyone changed to yearly listings, and than i stopped submitting to everysite which is like that.

It is just greed all what seems to me because thats the way of maximizing revenue... and i am not taking that path.

Hence why Genuine Paid Directory offers permenant links. Yes all links are permenant even the featured.

Sometimes featured are for 365 days .. i can understand that, and after it goes to regular ... i understand that part but for regulars to be 1 yr ... no i dont get that logic..

smub, May 19, 2007 IP
  16. Obelia

Obelia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think that's the best practice.

The problem with not charging a renewal fee for listings is the whole idea of a permanent link. Directories aren't permanent, like any website they can close after a few short years, ownership can change. So if you're not saying that you're selling a permanent link, I tend not to trust that because there's no such thing as permanent, and there's a whole lot of doubt about how long the link will be displayed for.

Obelia, May 19, 2007 IP
  17. xc06

xc06 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    then check 2 PR 5 directories in my sig ;) all listings are permanent.

I don't like annual listing either.

xc06, May 19, 2007 IP
  18. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Well i tell ya what john scott....

Im opening up all 50 just for you! ;)

Get to submitting as im offering you
    perminent listings in all 50+ directories :eek:

Alive and Aviva would surely jump...... will you?

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, May 19, 2007 IP
  19. smub

smub Notable Member

Best Answers:
    oOooo

if you are submitting to the list ... dont forget mine either .. Genuine Paid Directory lookin for v7n Network

smub, May 19, 2007 IP
  20. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Wow !! That's a challenge Malcolm. Wait I'm counting the Math write now for the 50 directories. :D

Just for you John if you submit NOW it will be permanent provided you submit all to my directories.

I stick with what I started. :) May the Juice be with you ALL.

popotalk, May 19, 2007 IP