1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dedicated IPs worth it?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by exponent, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Here is my question:

If I purchase a dedicated IP for my website, will that help build trust with google? Also, lets say I eventually move my website from one dedicated IP to another, will this cause a conflict with Google? Will my site fall out of first page results if there was a transfer?

exponent, May 10, 2007 IP
  2. jl255

jl255 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i will attempt to answer this...

i think it is a worthwhile investment for potentially big returns or at least prevention of big costs. Big costs in terms of avoiding the worst case scenario of having your site blacklisted by G because another site sharing your IP is banned. Besides, it is only a small sum of money....

jl255, May 10, 2007 IP
  3. login

login Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Its not a real logic in using a dedicated IP. Google does not normally ban IPs. Maybe thay will start with that. But most sites on the web are on shared IPs so the logic is that it is no use with a dedicated IP.

login, May 10, 2007 IP
  4. jabier

jabier Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry ..?

Well, of course it's worth. If I can make 1000 websites using subdomains in domain xxx.com and used one IP, all linked to each other, do I get good SERPS on Google ?

NO. Google will value and give better points on website that linked back by unique IPs.

Cheers,

jabier, May 11, 2007 IP
  5. login

login Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You are answering something else than the OPs question, he did not ask about linking.
    But you also have to mention that not only unique Ips are important, they should be on different c-classes also.

login, May 11, 2007 IP
  6. tradeya

tradeya Notable Member

Best Answers:
    dedicated IP is worth in case of space and bandwidth. If you got a large amount of traffic or database/content, sure dedicated is your choice. some dedicated even allow you to get few IP so you can use benefit of those links back to each other site in the same network. (but not spam link though)

If you got less traffice and content, It's not really worth it. I suppose.

tradeya, May 11, 2007 IP
  7. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, generally speaking Google does not link a site to an IP address, a site is indexed based on its domain name. So whether you use a dedicated IP or not, it really does not matter. You can move your site from one web host to another, thereby changing your IP address and you will not lose your ranking on Google.

Because of the limited supply of IP address based on the IPv4 addressing, ARIN does not allow anyone to just get as much IP addresses as and when you want without justification. Typically, SEO or SERP is not considered a valid reason for dedicated IP address allocation.

Of course that said and done, if you get 100 sites linking to each other using the same IP address, Google may disregard them. The reason being that Google Page Rank is based on relationship and site networking. They typically want natural and real backlinks, meaning real sites typically not related to you to do a link back to you.

Of course, in the end, you can fool the system by using multiple IPs and web hosts but it defeats the true spirit of page ranking. The Backlinks are used as sort of a voting system to guage how popular a site is.

For example, say you are a contestant on American Idol and you get 1,000,000 votes. It would really make a difference if the 1,000,000 votes is given by 1,000,000 viewers as compared to one viewer voting 1,000,000 times for you. On paper, probably all that counts is the number of votes but if you really looking at real endorsement, the 1,000,000 viewers votes would be deemed more valuable than 1 viewer who voted 1,000,000 times for you.

That's typically is like backlinks here where you get 1000 sites who are unrelated to you which link to you as compared to you creating 1000 sites and linking to yourself. Which you think is better ?

So the issue is really the spirit and the purpose of backlinks and page ranks.

eddy2099, May 11, 2007 IP
  8. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well i've goten good rankings on shared hosting so i don't reallu se the point

w3bmaster, May 11, 2007 IP
  9. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    There is much debate as to whether this matters or not. I am pretty much inclined to believe it does not. There would be way too much collateral damage were this true.

Mia, May 11, 2007 IP
  10. oseymour

oseymour Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think so too. too many shared IPs on the web. I change hosting companies for clients all the time while keeping the same domain name and I don't see any change in traffic or rankings at all.

oseymour, May 11, 2007 IP
  11. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Generally google doesn't care and doesn't use IP's as a factor... Unless you get a server, Create hundreds of crap sites with the intention of creating a linking network.... Then they will ban you.

stOx, May 11, 2007 IP
  12. Ardrigh

Ardrigh Peon

Best Answers:
    I do not agree with this. What do you mean by "Its not a real logic in using a dedicated IP"? We all know that google normally bans the IPs of the sites that violate its ToS.

I agree with the posts of most of the people here though...

Ardrigh, May 11, 2007 IP
  13. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    "We" do? Who is "we"... I think Google looks at a larger number of factors and a combination there in, the least of which is an individual IP address...

If they really did this, then all the other sites on a hosted and or shared server environment would be banned as well.

Please stop spreading false information. You're not helping anyone here.

Mia, May 11, 2007 IP
  14. Ardrigh

Ardrigh Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe in your statement that google has a lot of factors in banning a site.

Here's an interesting article that supports my statement, Mia...

Rules are always not absolute, you know that...

Now this is what I call a partial judgement...

Ardrigh, May 11, 2007 IP
  15. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    The article you cite is 5 years old, it does not deal with MFA or SEO, but rather key word stuffing and google bombing. Also, it would appear that Google blocked access via IP to end users at ComCast, not web sites.

This is hardly the same thing.

Mia, May 11, 2007 IP
  16. MarRome

MarRome Peon

Best Answers:
    I always thought this was a rumor the hosting companies started to get some more cash out of people.

MarRome, May 11, 2007 IP
    Mia and d16man like this.
  17. catyack

catyack Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry I dont know if it will help with google, but from experience, get your own IP anyways. If you are sharing an IP with someone that spams half the country, then they will mark your ip as a spammer, and then guess what, your email stops working properly because people reject you as a spammer. Sure it can happen on a block too, but individual IP's is becoming much more the norm.

catyack, May 11, 2007 IP
  18. flash9

flash9 Banned

Best Answers:
    im on a shared IP address and i have a page 2 ranking for a competitive search term, however some of my emails do not arrive to clients and others do arive but are in the spam box, upon further investigation i found out my IP address was on one of the spam lists. my hosting company basically said, well there are thousands of sites on the server, so the onyl way to fix this is if you move hosting companies, or upgrade to a dedicated server, so although it hasnt hurt my rankings...it is causing problems for emails etc.

flash9, May 11, 2007 IP
  19. jl255

jl255 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    this is great sharing, nothing beats real-life experiences. tks for the tip!

jl255, May 12, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.