1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Directories versus Linkbaiting

Discussion in 'Directories' started by onlinedude, May 3, 2007.

1. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    @ Lyndoman

I dont send traffic sorry, go to your social thingy and im sure youll get your uniques and if you submit to directories use "Good anchor tags" please and im sure itll work out for ya as you will reach top spots for that anchor text term and thats what you want for traffic...

@Jhrang

What are you blubering about? Want traffic go to the city

Ps while your tagging stuff do me a fav and grab my
    delicious tags would ya thx :D http://del.icio.us/Malcolm1

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, May 3, 2007 IP
  2. Lyndoman

Lyndoman Peon

Best Answers:
    Most of the links you list do not have the no follow tag on, look a little closer and you will see.

Yes, shock horror, I do comment on blogs.
    Eh? The traffic is there because they are interested in the subject matter, I already said I do not monetise it.

Geez, next you'll be whipping out your Alexa rankings.

I really should be in bed, but I havn't had a BB flame war for years and I get to watch the UK local elections, lol.

Lyndoman, May 3, 2007 IP
  3. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    So you dupe your clients by showing those useless traffic and link stats?:rolleyes: You know very well that --its good for one/2 sites --but not a lot of sites.

Lets say you get SEO assignment for 20 sites in a week --

you can manage them with hard works --they get those USELESS links --from BLOG spams and other Blackhat SEO methods.

But their traffic dries up after you finish your assignment. Where do they go? Where do you go?
    Its very short-term arrangement my friend. You clients will bad-muth you --and your reputation wil FINISH.

Addition
    Do you think --because we are directory owners --so we don't know anything about SEO? Does Wiki has follow TAG? Does Digg has it? About other blogs --I am very familiar with most of them --and mind you I just showed few links where as you have links from 73 domains.

Just tell me a big social networking site --Netscape/del.icio/digg--I have account everywhere.

jhnrang, May 3, 2007 IP
  4. Lyndoman

Lyndoman Peon

Best Answers:
    Shame, hence why I dont submit.

Too much work. Why walk when you can fly. Anyway, as I understand it I am banned by the Directory mafia, lol.

hehe, so you're already coming over to the dark side.

Lyndoman, May 3, 2007 IP
  5. Lyndoman

Lyndoman Peon

Best Answers:
    Traffic is traffic, traffic is what I want, traffic is what I get. If I got no comments or no feed subs or now backlinks maybe you have a point. But dude, it aint like that.

We are talking about my site, not my clients. Different sites need different tactics. An SMO campaign is very expensive and most clients have trouble understanding basic SEO let alone a full blown SMO campaign.

One more time, hopefully you will read it this time. It's not about the traffic primarily. The goal is links.

The links don't come from the Social sites, they come from the traffic that comes to the site. Please, sob! Please say you understand it.

Lyndoman, May 3, 2007 IP
  6. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    Ok well do what ya got to.......

If you want to get a better PR level then 3
    i can give you a discount on some reviews if
    youd like and we will get ya in some of my
    best directories at a reduced price.... ;)

PS use the force luke! dont fall to the dark side :eek:

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, May 3, 2007 IP
  7. Lyndoman

Lyndoman Peon

Best Answers:
    Eh? I have a five. Oh I see, you are looking at the root, you need to check out the front of the blog, that's where it's all happening.

Thing is, I never said I didn't use directories, I just don't use them on my sites, but I do use them on my clients. So I may take you up on that offer on behalf of my clients.

You gits have keep me up past my bedtime ;), I'm gonna be dead today. But I enjoyed the banter, it's always good to discuss stuff with people passionate about their biz. Oh and thanks for all the traffic this thread has sent, man I love Linkbait :)

Lyndoman, May 3, 2007 IP
  8. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    nice, I too left a comment on corn boys blog but doubt it will get in

Blogmaster, May 3, 2007 IP
  9. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    lyndoman you are stating something that has been pretty obvious for a long-time. Quality Content > All --- that said it is not easy to get to the front page of digg and making it to the front page of say reddit is easier but it usually doesn't get you that many backlinks.

Directories are a great way to supplement other link building activities and they should be part of the mix. No good SEO puts all their or their clients eggs in only one basket.

jg123, May 3, 2007 IP
  10. Lyndoman

Lyndoman Peon

Best Answers:
    If it's as immature and silly as the above comment probably not, but I have not seen it and there are no pending comments. You are probably blocked by Akismet, Wordpress anti spam software. Try posting without links.

jg123 I thought it was obvious too but I have had to spell it out as some people did not get. It's more than just quality content. It's amazing content, coupled with social media and a bit of link bait and it's link city. In my experience it works a lot better than the drudgery of submitting to directories.
    I argue the same things on my blog.

I have never said directories are worthless, just not as effective as SMO.

Lyndoman, May 3, 2007 IP
  11. dkessaris

dkessaris Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually my opinion is that anyone that thinks Linkbaiting Vs Manual Link Building or Linkbaiting Vs Directories etc is missing the point and the point is that not every site is the same. Some sites may benefit more of the one method and some sites from another. Pesronally, using more than one of he available methods is my preferred choice. Why? For the simple reason sustainability, something that works now may not work tomorrow and if you base your good rankings solely on that you are screwed big time.

BTW excellent blog post Jeff

dkessaris, May 3, 2007 IP
    onlinedude likes this.
  12. Lyndoman

Lyndoman Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree. Each site is different, but if I was in a rush, if I needed to get a lot of links to a site quickly, linkbait with a twist of social media is the beverage I would like to chug.

Manual directory building is boring, whilst linkbaiting is a hoot!

But, if you have a directory and make money from one, you probably are not going to admit directory submission is boring. But maybe some people find it interesting, hell some people are into trainspotting so I guess whatever rocks your boat.

Just once though, I would like to see a directory owner admint, "yeah, submitting to hundreds of directories is boring. C'mon, you know you want to.

Lyndoman, May 4, 2007 IP
  13. dkessaris

dkessaris Peon

Best Answers:
    Of course it is boring if we are talking about simple data entry work (taking a list and submitting to it). But if we are talking about link analysis, finding the directories that are potentially going to be beneficial to your site, competition link analysis, working within a budget etc then no imho it is not boring. Also, I hear that a lot from a lot of the SEO bloggers that linkbaiting is exciting and I agree to some extent, however I always wondered how exciting they find it to work for loan, ecommerce and other boring businesses. Claiming that they prefer a certain business tool because it is more exciting while working at some of the most boring verticals is a bit ironic if you ask me. Personally, I am a directory owner but I also run about 20 sites, so I can see it both ways.

dkessaris, May 4, 2007 IP
  14. Obelia

Obelia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I suspect that the point you're missing is that some people know how to get good results from directory submissions, and others don't. 90% of submissions have very poor chances of success in most directories. As any directory owner will tell you, it's obvious that most submitters don't read the guidelines, nor do they bother to familiarise themselves with standard Dmoz-style requirements. So there are a lot of keyword-stuffed titles, wrong category selections, and poorly written descriptions that come in without any likelihood of getting a listing.

Whereas a good directory submitter who knows how to write a decent description, combined with a good choice of paid links, will get you some decent results. You may be better at social bookmarking SEO than you are at directory submissions. But don't assume that is true for everyone.

I don't mean to make this seem like a personal attack, but I noticed several typos in your blog post. Spellchecking is an important detail when it comes to your directory submissions. You've usually only got a short paragraph to make the right impression, and if you're not well up on the small details then your success rate is likely to be low.

Obelia, May 4, 2007 IP
  15. balkanboy

balkanboy Banned

Best Answers:
    When you build backlinks for your site, you can't just think of getting traffic from social bookmarking websites-it will last only few days and you will end up with very weak backlink profile if you stop there, meaning say good bye to SERP's.

I always try to get backlinks from as many different websites as possible. Directories listings are type that will pay off in long run giving you quantity and quality(not all) backlinks that will help establish your presence on the web.
    It is hard for me to believe directories will be dead. They are a good source of links that all of us need.

Btw, good article Jeff-some really valid points over there.

balkanboy, May 4, 2007 IP
  16. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Dude, are you kiddin mate?:rolleyes: I think all the tools and G toolbar is wrong then as all of them show 3. Do you think leaving your mark on a PR6 en.wiki gonna get you PR? Do you think digg/del.icio links gonna get you? Do you think blog comments (90% of which are no-follow) gonna get you FIVE:eek:

Lol you amaze me.

Exactly. There are different websites and one has to follow different link-building techniques for those sites depending on the nature of the site's theme/content. So why he is generalizing????

Our Mr. SEO friend admitted that he is talking about his site and the technique he is following. Very well.

But why should he discard Directories as link-building option? He is definitely trying to create a controversy and that his technique to get traffic that way.

I only feel for those who fall for Self-Proclaimed SEO-Experts like this guy:rolleyes: . He claims he has got 5000 backlinks with that technique --BIG LIAR. All the nowmal tools showing MSN/Yahoo/Google/Altavista together he has around 1000 backlinks only.

I'll no longer participate on this thread as I don't think he is worth the IMPORTANCE he is getting --just some one of those freakin..... looking for controversy and attract the spotlight :eek:

jhnrang, May 4, 2007 IP
  17. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    Wow what the heck i miss in the few hours of sleep i get?

Come on you guys keep it clean....

No need to get nasty with each other and try and prove
    your points without going to the next level.

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, May 4, 2007 IP
  18. rootbinbash

rootbinbash Peon

Best Answers:
    no offense but you don't know anything about SB sites.I can get 4000 pr 4-5-6 pages from Social Bookmark Sites (without nofollow of course ;) ) in 3 days.

rootbinbash, May 4, 2007 IP
  19. Lyndoman

Lyndoman Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree

Linkbaiting is definately difficult for some people, It's more creative and some programmer SEO's find the transition difficult, I havn't found another SEO saying that directories rock and social media suck, but I am always on the look out. I've found a lot of directory owners that think that social media sucks.

I know, I am really bad. my ex English teacher would be horrified. I guess I'm not going to win the spelling bee. It's a real shocker, but somehow I will struggle through. ;)

Never really had a problem getting into directories, they just don't get my juicies going, sorry mate.

jhnrang, you're back

you obviously have not read any of my posts, so it's a waste of time repeating my self.

If you think I have a three, then you think I have a three. We will have to agree to disagree, and posting in big letters will not make you more right.

I have already answered this, if you cannot understand my basic premise there is nothing much I can do about that.

hehe, I don't mind controversy. All I have done is point my point across in a thread I did not start. I can accept that people will disagree, it would be a boring world if we all agreed.

Lyndoman, May 4, 2007 IP
  20. balkanboy

balkanboy Banned

Best Answers:
    Dude, what are you talking about here?
    Post your point in one sentence if you even know what your opinion is.

You are trying to get popular or something?

balkanboy, May 4, 2007 IP