1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Matt Cutts and Paid Links

Discussion in 'Directories' started by syted, Apr 30, 2007.

1. jmort732

jmort732 Peon

Best Answers:
    Very interesting discussion.

I believe that having someone pay for a review, will be viewed by Google as just semantics. (Although, don't get me wrong, it would be great if using the word "review" was all that it took). I think they will view it as, well if you are just paying for the review, then you won't care if the link is "de-valued". It's pretty clear that Google wants the nofollow link or sometype of javascript used for paid links. I am not sure how Google will view 100% completely free directories, or Yahoo.

Paid directories compete with adwords, whether a website pays for adwords or for a directory listing, it all comes out of a budget. If "paid links" aren't as enticing, then companies will have more money to spend on adwords.

If the paid link algo goes from testing to reality, then I think as directory owners we will all have to change revenue models or money will shrivel up.

Possible options that have been discussed are:

"Paid links" go completely underground (i.e. URLs aren't posted in threads, but PMed, and deals done through PM) then those links may become more valuable as there will be so many other links devalued and no way for Google to discern which links were "negotiated".

Directories will need to provide free links, and "sell" something else (what that is, I have no idea)

Hope and pray that "reviews" are all it takes.

Would love to hear anyone else's ideas, as if we all prepare for this change (if it happens) and follow the same new revenue model, then the "new" way will carry a lot more credibility and not scare customers off..... and then Google can go work on a new algo :)

jmort732, May 1, 2007 IP
  2. Selkirk

Selkirk Peon

Best Answers:
    I think Google is just collecting paid links reports in order to calibrate their algorithms. Folks are getting way too excited. Nobody from Google even wants to visit your site, let alone try and read your submissions page.

The real question is what algorithms are Google using to detect paid links? Stay on the good side of the algorithm and you can probably sell all the links you want and be quite open about it.

Selkirk, May 1, 2007 IP
  3. jmort732

jmort732 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with this, but they can parse text (submit, review, featured, etc) and incorporate all of that into their algos, can't they?

jmort732, May 1, 2007 IP
  4. coolsitez

coolsitez Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It seems that linking for SEO purpose could be considered as a BH technique. Finding holes in algorithm and taking advantage of it is basically BH SEO. But this means that there would be no point of doing SEO, it seems.

coolsitez, May 1, 2007 IP
  5. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
  6. jmort732

jmort732 Peon

Best Answers:
    jmort732, May 2, 2007 IP
  7. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    Well... in a nuthell and what matt should have said in the first place without all the drama....

If you see somebody blatently buying links on high PR sites 8-9-10
    that have absolutly NOTHING to do with that site
    and are doing it just to get a higher page rank
    then we need your help and ask that
    you tell us so we can make a filter to prevent them from cheating....

Would have matt said it in a more understandable way rather then beating around the bush
    then all this drama would have never started..

PS thiers more then that
    if you "read between the lines"
    but for the most part thats what they are trying to say!

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, May 2, 2007 IP
  8. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    "If you see somebody blatently buying links on high PR sites 8-9-10
    that have absolutly NOTHING to do with that site
    and are doing it just to get a higher page rank then we need your help and ask that
    you tell us so we can make a filter to prevent them from cheating...."

That makes no sense to me, I am sure if G cracks down they will try and crack down on all sites purchasing links to influence page rank, not just the high ranking ones. A PR8 site that 'cheats' is just as bad or problematic as a PR6 or PR5 site that cheats.

jg123, May 2, 2007 IP
  9. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    Im not going to sit and argue with you but you and i know that just 1 PR8-9 link is
    worth maybe say 40 pr5 links.... So basically you get the point... so i hope anyway.

Here let me get the part that says..........

As people have pointed out, Google buys advertising, and a lot of other great sites engage in both the buying and selling of advertising. There is no problem with that whatsoever. The problem is that we've seen quite a bit of buying and selling for the very clear purpose of transferring PageRank. Some times we see people out there saying "hey, I've got a PR8 site" and, this will give you some great Google boost, and I am selling it for just three hundred a month. Well, that's blunt, and that's clearly in violation of the "do not engage in linking schemes that are not permitted within the webmaster guidelines"

Our goal is not to catch one hundred percent of paid links. It's to try to address the egregious behavior of buying and selling the links that focus on the passing of PageRank. That type of behavior is a lot more readily identifiable then I think people give us credit for.

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, May 2, 2007 IP