1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Focusing on SERPS, not PR

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by softarea51, Apr 30, 2007.

Hello all,

Many people here on DP are suggesting that PR is useless and everybody should focus on SERPS. As far as I know, quality / quantity backlinks will influence PR which will influence SERPS eventually.

Can someone point the best methods to increase SERPS without focusing on PR too?

softarea51, Apr 30, 2007 IP
  2. mpls-web-design

mpls-web-design Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Clean web design, avoid flash, heavy javascript. Good copywriting, proper use of keywords in title tags. Never abuse any tags on your pages. Proper use of links inside your site. Use the right anchor texts for your links. The anchor text should include the keywords you are targeting.

High PR sites are just high PR, not much else. High PR doesn't not automatically mean high SERPs. So, start with a good site and then work on links.

It is also important to keep your site as informative as possible. Keep your contents as fresh as possible.

mpls-web-design, Apr 30, 2007 IP
  3. softarea51

softarea51 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have a clean web design (Free DVD Software, Games and Utilities), the content is not unique (this is a problem, but this is the system this site is based on), anchor text was not always the same, but SERPS are very low (150 / day).

I think good quality backlinks will increase SERPS. Of course, 2-3 links on high PR pages won't do it, they will just increase PR.

4. Bombaywala

Bombaywala Peon

Best Answers:
    SERPS - 150/day? You mean Visitors 150/day ?

SERP - Search Engine Ranking Position, meaning - what number does your site show up for any particular KW in SE.

Ok so didn't mean to lecture you the basics but thought I had get that straight :)

Now how to increase traffic - articles - submit articles to authority article sites, submit articles to 1000s of article directories out there (will increase BL) which in turn will improve your ranking, get BLs from high PR sites related to your site - this too will push you up in SERP - don't worry what PR you get stuck with (PR is more a reference then actual indicator of success).

You seem to be using lot of syndication, how about throwing in forums and giving out freebies so users will participate. You should get repeat customers and Google will see your site is just not once in a blue moon famous - this whole think will help in SERPs.

Bombaywala, Apr 30, 2007 IP
    Makubwa likes this.
  5. Makubwa

Makubwa Active Member

Best Answers:
    Great advice Bombaywala - thanks!

Makubwa, Apr 30, 2007 IP
  6. softarea51

softarea51 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hello,

Thank you for your advices.

150/day are visitors indeed. SERPS = Search Engine Result PageS.

Can you please explain this:

Thanks.

7. Lukas

Lukas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    although high PR from a few good links won't immediately help in the SERPS it could in the long run, as other "related sites" may & will want to link to you based on your PR alone which in turn makes you rise in the SERPS.

Lukas, Apr 30, 2007 IP
  8. louislim2

louislim2 Banned

Best Answers:
    I agree with you. We need both.

louislim2, Apr 30, 2007 IP
  9. softarea51

softarea51 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hello,

Can someone explain a little this strategy

10. Janna122003

Janna122003 Banned

Best Answers:
    When doing link exchange just get links from related site it can help you get better SERP. And try to get quality one way link.

Janna122003, May 1, 2007 IP
  11. Link.ezer.com

Link.ezer.com Peon

Best Answers:
    links do influence PR and SERP
    why not focus on both

Link.ezer.com, May 1, 2007 IP
  12. tradeya

tradeya Notable Member

Best Answers:
    links and backlinks just one of a factors to decide SERPs.
    the best way to rank well in SERPs is a good SEOs both on-page and off-page optimization. (if you dont know what the hack these are, search around the forum.:) ) surely you will rank well even with low PR or as a new site.

tradeya, May 3, 2007 IP
  13. softarea51

softarea51 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think the thing with the new site is obsolete by now, for me. My site is 3 months old and the initial boost is over. The rank in SERPS is poor for the moment. I think my pages are optimized well. What do you think?
    So I only have to learn about off-page SEO.

softarea51, May 3, 2007 IP
  14. rayn_84

rayn_84 Banned

Best Answers:
    once you get top SERPS... PR will follow.

rayn_84, May 3, 2007 IP
  15. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    For me it always is important where a site ranks not the PR

Anyway google can be our best friend or our worst "enemy" :)

w3bmaster, May 3, 2007 IP
  16. reapr

reapr Peon

Best Answers:
    I have to agree on this. PR is not definative on page rank but from what I have seen it will help get your site or page with high PR crawled more consistently. It really helps to be offering original content.

reapr, May 3, 2007 IP
  17. scuzzy

scuzzy Peon

Best Answers:
    one thing i dont understand about PR is that I've seen a few sites that if you look on google for backlinks (link:domain.com) it says it doesn't have any but the site still gets a PR?

scuzzy, May 3, 2007 IP
  18. CrankyDave

CrankyDave Peon

Best Answers:
    The PR you can see, toolbar PR, has no direct influence on the SERP's. However, it can indirectly affect things than can influence SERP's.

As long as there are webmasters and advertisers that place "importance" on the "little green fuel gauge" toolbar PR will have value in the sense that it can generate more interest in your site.

In the long run, you're better off focusing on the suggestions others have already posted... clean design, good structure, content, articles, relevance, etc. rather than the toolbar.

If you want a good exercise, turn off the "little green fuel gauge" and then visit some sites and evaluate them. This will help you focus on more important aspects of the sites.

Dave

CrankyDave, May 3, 2007 IP
  19. louislim2

louislim2 Banned

Best Answers:
    tayn, this seem it work for me, after i my SEPs is Top 1 in google and yahoo. Google straight away give me pr5.

louislim2, May 3, 2007 IP
  20. uttoransen

uttoransen Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    once the anchor text is optimised the position of the sites in SERP will be better, but then you can get high pr with out optimizing the anchor text and then your keywords won't do good in serps!

so don't concentrate on pr, rather try the onpage optimization and the link building with anchor text, that will help you gain more pr and better SERPs!:D

uttoransen, May 3, 2007 IP