1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Using Yahoo! Weather feed

Discussion in 'Yahoo API' started by Aragorn, Apr 24, 2007.

I want to use Yahoo! weather feeds on my site. Unfortunately, after reading the terms of use I am a little doubtful on whether it is ok to use the feed on my site.
    I want to use the feeds on a site on bangalore I am planning to develop. I have plans for providing some services on the site. Do you think I am eligible for using the content as per the terms?

Their help section says,
    If it is not allowed to use their weather data on other sites, then why do they provide information on how to get and use the weather data on a site at http://developer.yahoo.com/weather/ ?

Please advice me, I am totally confused. Is there any other free weather feed providers?

Aragorn, Apr 24, 2007 IP
  2. Jim_

Jim_ Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd say it's a bit of a grey-area. I would recommend contacting Yahoo! about whether or not you can use their feeds on your site.

After a bit of googling around, it looks like most weather rss feeds are free for personal and non-commercial usage. If you're not charging for users to view the weather information, that could be called a non-commercial usage in my opinion, but your best bet is to contact a few of the sites offering weather feeds and explain your situation to them.

Jim_, Apr 24, 2007 IP
    Aragorn likes this.
  3. pepsipunk

pepsipunk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

It's fine to have a widget or something that pulls the info to your desktop or whatever, but pulling the information to your website is prohibited. they have the rss feeds for personal use.

pepsipunk, Apr 24, 2007 IP
    Aragorn likes this.
  4. Aragorn

Aragorn Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks a lot for your replies.
    I too have been googling for the last two days without success :(. Any idea how I can contact them regarding this?
    It is legal to use their feed in some websites.
    Courtesy: http://developer.yahoo.com/weather/

What I would like to know is whether my site belongs to that group.

Aragorn, Apr 24, 2007 IP