1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Will bid for position directories stick around?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Solicitors Mortgages, Apr 13, 2007.

1. ! Ask !

! Ask ! Peon

Best Answers:
    Well that is one of the problems I have seen on some bid directories that are not properly categorized and don’t offer any co-citation value. Also listing for value bid doesn’t offer any value to human visitors.

But I think the BIG deadly sin is the lack of sustainability, what happens when you get to the bid value of $500 ~ $1,000 ~ $1,500 then what?

! Ask !, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  2. rtchar

rtchar Peon

Best Answers:
    ! Ask !: High value links can easily cost $30-40 per month. If you subscribed to a bid directory those numbers will be easily achieved ... and more.

We won't even talk about the advertising value when this concept starts being discussed in the press and SEO forums. I bet $5000 will return 20 times that in free publicity ... image the buzz! :)

What are you paying for a home page PR6 or PR7 link for one year?

rtchar, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  3. ! Ask !

! Ask ! Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, imagine you pay $50 a month for a homepage link at a PR7 total $600 year
    Some Facts:
    - you are paying it monthly
    - You are certain the link will stay in the homepage for 1 year

Now imagine you are a late arrival at a PR7 bid directory and the minimum bid you have to make to be on the homepage is $1,000.
    You have to pay $1,001 in one go not a small monthly sum, and then you have to pray that the previous bidder that is now pissed because is on page two doesn’t outbid you.

And then how many BID directories will reach PR7 probably only Chris Big Web Links.

! Ask !, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  4. rtchar

rtchar Peon

Best Answers:
    Really don't know what to say buddy ...

If you can't swim, stay out of the deep end of the pool. :)

There are over 50 bid directories available right now ... some can't even fill the first page with $1 links. I am sure there is something to fit your budget in there somewhere.

That's the beauty and the danger of bidding directories. If you back a well managed directory, the links become more valuable over time and you have to pay more just to maintain your position. That may NOT be the best strategy ...

My Dad always said, "buy the cheapest house in the best neighborhood you can afford". That advice may apply here as well. :)

rtchar, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  5. Solicitors Mortgages

Solicitors Mortgages Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have yet to see one that offers any value.

If a phpld mod becomes available they could succeed but all the existing ones would need rebuilding.

just my 2c of course.

Solicitors Mortgages, Apr 15, 2007 IP
  6. rtchar

rtchar Peon

Best Answers:
    rtchar, Apr 15, 2007 IP
  7. ! Ask !

! Ask ! Peon

Best Answers:
    It’s not a question of budget is a question of ROI (Return On Investment)

! Ask !, Apr 15, 2007 IP
  8. toby

toby Notable Member

Best Answers:
    they will survive if they works hard to keep them alive! Not all will survive, i guess?

toby, Apr 15, 2007 IP
  9. rtchar

rtchar Peon

Best Answers:
    That is the point of bid directories ... you only have to bid what you think the link is worth to you at the time of your bid!

Would you rather pay $10 for link several pages deep in a category ... just because that is what the guy on the first page paid? Paid directories are regressive because you pay the same amount for fewer benefits (lower PR and less traffic). Where is the ROI in that?

As directories become full there is less incentive to promote them because there are so few submissions to deeper categories. This will extend a directory's life by many years, and hopefully the value of your links too. :)

rtchar, Apr 15, 2007 IP
  10. Solicitors Mortgages

Solicitors Mortgages Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Did the bottom just fall out of this market?

With Google now saying "paid links are frowned upon and can be reported"
    and bid directories state "this is how much I paid" with a price right there next to the link :confused:

thoughts please.

Solicitors Mortgages, Apr 19, 2007 IP
  11. ! Ask !

! Ask ! Peon

Best Answers:
    Nothing new under the sun, for Google there is not much difference from normal paid directory and a biding directory.

! Ask !, Apr 19, 2007 IP
  12. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Honestly, this depends on how you look at it. You see a directory with traffic and it costs you a dollar to get in there. Frog Engine and Business Blogs do get traffic and the bid for position setup makes a lot of sense. Many visitors search for a term like directories and get the highest bidding ones from that search term and visit the ones they find. The next one I will come out with is going to have a lot more to it than simply a bidding directory. So I am not worried about it. The same way Google should not index web sites selling advertising period.

Blogmaster, Apr 19, 2007 IP
  13. romow

romow Peon

Best Answers:
    Most likely you have a featured listing option.

Link bidding has its own problem for late bidders. Would you (a first time bidder) rather bid $xxx for the top page, and then instantly get knocked out deep into a subcategory by previous bidders who have been enjoying their sweet spots and want to hold on to them? Not a decent ROI if you are looking for long term benefit...

romow, Apr 19, 2007 IP
    ! Ask ! likes this.
  14. Fastian

Fastian Peon

Best Answers:
    I am also wondering the same. The thought of getting outbid any time by the other buyer is really scary. If you have spent $500+ on a bid on even a PR5/6 page, you certainly want to be on homepage. What if the other person out bid you with a big $800??

With the current quality & massive promotion, Big Web Links is going to be PR7. I can smell it now :D

Fastian, Apr 19, 2007 IP
  15. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Do you want me to prove a point by adding another 450 to my bid for no reason at all, other than to show people I'm in it for the 'win' and that I'm not playing games?

@the rest
    People need to get a grip and get real about what they are all doing. Either get in, or get out, and that IS the bottom line, because sitting here posting about it on a forum isn't doing any good.

an0n, Apr 19, 2007 IP
  16. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    Well, if someone outbids you, then there must be a reason for that. You can spend money on the smaller ones and get on top and stay on top if those are not going anywhere. Or you can get what everyone else wants by spending some more cash. Just like Google Adwords. I can find you some low terms, but they may not benefit you either. ;)

17. templates

templates Notable Member

Best Answers:
    nice point..im in it so i can pay my bills,and it takes money to make money.Since i have no money,my journey up the leg of SERP and PR gods will be long and hard

templates, Apr 19, 2007 IP
  18. munt

munt Peon

Best Answers:
    i havnt bought any links in any bid for placement directories yet :eek:
    all the ones ive seen look like shite compared to bigweblinks style

why would someone want to pay for a letter of the alphabet ?
    it seems a bit of a novelty like the milliondollarhomepage sites
    how would you advertise these sites to get general visitors that will view the advertised sites other than other webmasters? maybe some will get lucky with press releases and get taken in by blogs and news sites but they wont last.. i dont even think blogs or news sites would even touch them to be honest

my prediction is it will be all well and good for a while then traffic wont be sustained and some sites will die, advertising/income will die and fall to null.. and the site will close/ domain/hosting wont be renewed
    i think that is what will happen

munt, Apr 19, 2007 IP
  19. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I too have to pay my own bills, and have little to no money. It's still not going to stop me and I will find a way someway, somehow. Just believe in what you're doing and ignore the jealousy and the haters because believe me when i tell you; They will become plentiful in time.

an0n, Apr 19, 2007 IP
  20. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    I agree 100%, especially from those who are not creative enough to come up with anything and depend on other forum members to copy something from.