1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

phplynx - A very SE friendly directory script...

Discussion in 'Directories' started by vito, Apr 9, 2007.

1. wwws

wwws Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have never bashed phplynx on any one of my post. Not the script i'm getting on, it's the way it is being promoted, simply........Dirty trying so hard. I can understand the man who started the project might had poured his entire savings into it, but the idea of him (Kev and some of fellow followers) bashes out the leading scripts and with the Gorrilla marketing tactics wont win over me (as a user)

I am using 3 different directory scripts right now and always in constant look-out for a new one and with the way he does he's marketing I wont touch that script with a 10 foot pole.

Take a look at this directory script (phplb) you see how popular is getting. I have never heard from the owner about that script, instead I heard from someone who is using it and now i'm using it too and even some of them were skiptical about it, they too went and bought the script.

Kev needs to learn how to market it's scripts the proper way and with that certain type of consumer that will become a big major supporter later on.

He's not getting it, he had to send out a monkey (no fun intended to Vito:D ) to brag about "it's features" as it has always does...I went and read the phplynx forum (pretty dead btw)

Kev probably needs to hire a marketing consultants to do the marketing for him, because he is terrible at it. The script could have taken-off like how http://www.phplinkbid.com when it was announced in December or so.

But if it's so great were are the designers and other supporters (other than a few monkeys at the phplynxforum)

This whole thread was designed to cause Notice's to the script, free adverisement or Blackhat tricks. And don't deny it please.

Edit

Lmao! you're even more of a joke by giving me a red rep. (Apr 10th 2007 7:39 am) the time is so close to when you posted.

wwws, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  2. vito

vito Peon

Best Answers:
    wwws, I am asking you to take a step back and start using some restraint in your offensive posts. Do you have a problem with the phplynx script? Don't use it. Do you have a problem with Kevin? Take it up with him. But do not put me in the mix. I truly resent your implications about my motivation in starting this thread. You are way off base. I am nobody's "monkey". There is no hidden agenda. I simply started using a script that impressed me, so I decided to share my experience with other DP members. it is irrevelevant that you read Kev suggesting that users post here about phplynx. I do not respond to that type of request. Never have, never will. Again, I am nobody's puppet, and frankly, I don't care if you believe that or not. The only reason I created this thread was to share my thoughts with other directory owners about a script that I felt merited some discussion.

So please spare me the offensive name calling, as it is unwarranted and undeserved.

Vito

vito, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  3. wwws

wwws Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You started with the name calling Vito.
    [​IMG]

Kevin at the phplynx said this and you came by and made this thread.
    So you were "encourage" to provide more support for that script that Kevin calls "Weak"

wwws, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  4. vito

vito Peon

Best Answers:
    Again, I did not start this thread because Kevin asked me to. Truth be known, I believe he overstepped in asking me (or anyone) to do so. Does it surprise you that I said that? If you knew me, you'd know that I call a spade a spade, and I do not shill for anyone. IMO, the script stands on its own perfectly well, and people will talk about it on their own and decide its merit. The quality of the script will generate discussions on its own.

And I'm not an idiot. I am fully aware that the phplynx thread you quoted was public and for all to see. Nothing hidden. I already guessed that someone might read that and (erroneously) conclude that I was "sent". And that made me almost reconsider starting the thread. But then I decided that since I knew that my "motives" were sincere and agenda free, I went ahead and started the thread (which is one that I would have started irrespective of Kevin's request).

Man, it's getting tiring having to defend my integrity in this case. Not really sure I have much patience left for any of you.

Vito

vito, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  5. wwws

wwws Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am DONE here.

wwws, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  6. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Gosh, I'm now a monkey. They're very smart and clever creatures, so I'll take that as a compliment.

I am currently using another script - not the one so heavily defended on DP - and continue to find it amazing that when someone posts anything about how Lynx performs in relation to another script that everyone bashes the OP as being driven by Kev to make the post. Forgive me, I thought this area of DP was to discuss running a directory and the various tools and techniques for doing so. Discussing what those different tools have to offer is very much the reason I started visiting DP in the first place.

My new site that will be using the Lynx script is still in the design stage. There are a number of things that I already see that are far superior to the script I am using for another site and a few things I would like to see changed. (Before I could even make the request, there was a notice in the forums that my issue was already being addressed.) What makes Kev and his vision so interesting is that when any user sees something that could be made better, it is discussed and is often implemented directly into the script. Mod this, mod that - a real nuisance when it comes to patches and upgrades that with the other script usually break. As much as paidhosting has had to say about Lynx and Kev, his/her main complaint about the script was adressed and changes were made.

I get such a kick out of everytime someone mentions something unique that Lynx has - OUT OF THE BOX - the reply is "Oh, we have a mod for that too". These are not mods, but standard features. There's a big difference and everyone here knows it, rather they admit so or not.

Yes, the Lynx forum does have fewer posts daily than it's 2 main competitors. But, the members and staff are quick to respond to requests for help and the forum is not filled with posts that complain about a lack of support, hacking incidents, and all the other negative posts that appear constantly on the forum of the other script I am using.

If your valuation of the forum is simply based on quantity, you are completely missing the point. What good is 40-50 new posts and threads a day if most of them are "I hate this script because...", "Where's the support...", "I can't get this to work..." or my favorite "I want a refund!"? I would much rather be part of a community that quickly answers questions (within hours as opposed to days or even weeks with the other script) and fosters conversation about the SEO, promotional, and website building aspects of the business of running a directory.

The long diatribes made by paidhosting have all stemmed from the happenings on a Sunday afternoon - Bunny, as paidhosting was known in the Lynx forum; was getting free, live technical support on a Sunday afternoon. There has been a concerted effort to maintain virtually 24/7 coverage of the Lynx forums - could never say that about the other script I use. The majority of the posts on the weekends are plaintive, unanswered requests for help. You won't find days or weeks-old unanswered requests for help in the Lynx forum - there are unanswered questions that are year's old on at least one of the big two's forum.

If the script everyone is so rabidly defending is as great as so many here claim it to be; why are you constantly attacking anyone who says anything against it? I don't care what product or service is being discussed, there's always room for improvement and someone who may have ideas how to make it better.

Many are constantly making the accusation that anyone who shares positive feedback on Lynx must be taking direction from Kev. Sure the threads over here have been discussed in the Lynx forums. So? It's a huge leap to turn that into a smear campaign orchestrated by Kev. You can't attack the message, so attack the messenger?

Namecalling has always been the reply of someone with nothing worthwhile to say. This thread did become interesting with the conversation of hyphens vs underscores, but the namecalling and other nonsense has become so tiresome.

I'm off now to find me a banana.

YMC, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  7. smub

smub Notable Member

Best Answers:
    lol i am wondering how come one out of another the representatives of phplynx are popping up ??

Kev's another dirty trick ??

This guy have had so many issues with phpLD in past that it is hard to forget that it can be a part of his dirty game.

But all the best to you guys who think phplynx is the better script, and i will see you when you come in the market and be the top dog.

smub, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  8. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    :evil grin: and more :evil grinnning:

an0n, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  9. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ditto. Anyone like Site Sift Script Here. :D

popotalk, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  10. smub

smub Notable Member

Best Answers:
    yup yup ... me me me

i love the coupon mod in that script it is the most attractive feature in that script.

smub, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  11. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ohhh Khaay Smub ! Remind me to send you a lot of coupons. :D

Site Sift Script is the Next Big Thing.

12. smub

smub Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Remind Jude: Send me alot of coupons :p

i can agree with you that site-sift is the next big one.

They just need to add some graphics in their admin panel :p

smub, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  13. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Kev and I have not corresponded in several days - I added my thoughts to this thread because I felt compelled to do so; just like I made posts in this forum long before I ever heard of Kev, phpLynx or Cantufind. No one asked me to, nor would I if they did.

I have been a member of DP since May of last year and have never made a post on someone else's request. It took all of 18 minutes for the accusation. I'm not surprised and again you didn't address the conversation, just made yet another unfounded accusation.

"Dirty game" - I do take offense at that. The only people rolling in the mud around here are the one's who are so very determined to prevent this forum from actually sharing ideas and information - what is it you're all so afraid of?

It is true I support the project; many here, whether they know it or not, provided input into the Lynx script. Much of what was on directory owners' wish lists has been considered for inclusion in the script. The reason those items were on people's wish lists was because the scripts available at the time did not offer them. It would only be common sense for someone promoting a new script to mention their script has something which no one else has. That kind of marketing has been done since day 1 - nothing new with that and certainly not anything dirty or underhanded about it.

Just as there is nothing new for a consumer unable to find what he/she needs in the marketplace to be inspired to create their own competing product. Yet, many here see some sort of ulterior motive for someone who did just that.

Is phpLynx the better script? In for a shock? ... I don't see it as being better, just different. I know for fact it does some things better. Just as the competition has some things it may do better or differently. Descending into a discussion of which one is better is like arguing which make of car is better. There is never going to be a script that is all things for all people; just like we have choices with cars, we should have choices with the scripts we use for our business.

Ultimately it is a business decision, not one driven by the cheerleading of the faithful for one script or another that should guide consumers as to which script they use. It has been so interesting to watch as so many of the faithful expect, perhaps demand that people make these decisions in a vacuum. I wish you luck with that strategy as it has been consistently proven to only work for the short term.

We'll be waiting for you.

YMC, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  14. wwws

wwws Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I just can't help but, phpLynx supporters are like Cult members...spooky:eek:

Site Sift Rules!!! Horay!

wwws, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  15. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You must have us confused with the phpLD supporters. :D

YMC, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  16. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes. We support Site Sift Now. :)

17. Psyclones

Psyclones Banned

Best Answers:
    I have seen this all too many times on DP jsut lately, the minute someonr tries to give an honest opinion of there experiances trying an alternate script the community slates them for not using the same script as them.

Vito was trying to give an insight to how SEO friendly the phplynx script is and rather then just reading and here a thought verifying what he has mentioned , instant flaming yet again.

I notice this flaming on virtually every thread here which involves the phplynx directory script.

My question is why?

Are people on here delibratly hijacking threads to keep phplynx in a darkroom or something, dont you people realise the more you argue about it on here the better off phplynx is, baclinks make prizes.

I too also run the phpplynx script on one of my directories and I can verify the points that vito made, phplynx does seem to get indexed very quickly by google and I must say I am very pleased with it.

I am not going to post my directory url, wouldnt want to get blamed for trying to get clicks now would I.

If anyone is wanting to see my directory which i VERY MUCH DOUBT because its not one of the other scripts everyone uses then pm me and i will post it for you.

Other then that, I have one question. Have you people even tried the phplynx script lately, its had many updates and is in my mind definately worth at least the look.

Thanks
    Psyclones

Psyclones, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  18. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Very nice. Good Luck to your Directory. I'm promoting Site Sift anyway.

Just a question. Your too good to be a Peon. Any other DP account. :rolleyes:

http://www.thehulldirectory.co.uk/

19. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You know what VITO.....

why dont you and your waste of a script take a hike...

What i do with MY TIME is MY business

You cant even back up your own crap words
    you are a clown and your ragtag misfit peon friends can .... nevermind

I see no sense in wasting my time HERE with YOU
    and i dont think anyone else should either.

laterz

malcolm1, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  20. Psyclones

Psyclones Banned

Best Answers:
    What you trying to say here?

I have only the one DP account and have had it since DEC 2005. If you are trying to imply something else just say it. stop wasting peoples time trying to make something out of nothing.

Thanks
    Psyclones

Psyclones, Apr 10, 2007 IP