1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it possible to be the next MySpace?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by netpox, Apr 3, 2007.

3 years ago no one knew what myspace was and it was the fastest growing website in the world last year. Now Myspace is making $30 million dollars per month and growing.

Everyone has jumped on the social networking band wagon and trying to be the next myspace. We have scripts like handshakes and phpfox that offer you pretty much the same layout and functions like myspace but is it possible to be the next myspace.

TagWorld.com gave it a shot and now in only less then 2 years has over 2 million members. How much did they spend on advertising i dont know! But i'm sure it was A LOT!

So how long will myspace dominate? Will there be something new any time soon? Remember when AOL came out...it was the coolest thing for all the teens for couple years and then died!

I'm sure there a tons of webmasters here that can design a site that looks much better then myspace.com. I know that the next myspace will have to be much better with new cool features. Many people told me that you need a lot of money to start a new social networking site but if couple of us DP webmasters got together and talked about it and came with a business plan i'm sure we can be sucessful. I'm not saying we will make $30 million dollars a month but even 1 percent of that would be nice. What do you think?

netpox, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  2. forumrating

forumrating Notable Member

Best Answers:
    its takes years of planning to make such a huge brand and success stories, a team work which is backed up by big corporations to fund their developments and non stop branding efforts.

such unique ideas would work for sure, but its not that easy for one man to do it, needs lot of resources and contacts to reach such levels.

forumrating, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  3. netpox

netpox Active Member

Best Answers:
    but all of these great sites were created by regular people like us not corporations...

look at digg.com or facebook.com, photobucket.com ...just one or more guys getting together and creating a site.

netpox, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  4. KingofKings

KingofKings Banned

Best Answers:
    I don't think there will be another big website like myspace.com (as in the social networks area)

Sometimes reasons why websites succeed is that they hit the market where it hurts, so if your are out there trying to become the next myspace. You should really forget it, move on and find something better. The interent is still young there are still many things that can be done.

You just have to have the right idea, and some good money to spend on it. :)

KingofKings, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  5. DannyBly

DannyBly Peon

Best Answers:
    it'd be so hard to compete as the great thing about myspace is that everyone is already on there - if you only have say a couple of thousand members there's less incentive for someone to sign up - having said that I think there's alot of room for improvement in sites like myspace

what I am wondering is whether niche social networks will be successful - I think this may be a more interesting area to pursue

DannyBly, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  6. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe 100% that something else will outdo Myspace, and probably not even in the long-run. If you really think about it - Myspace is an awful site, design wise. It's already archaic, VERY slow (pages can take a minute to load...), doesn't take advantage of web 2.0 in any way, and it's now being taken over by spammers.

Pixelrage, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  7. ReadyToGo

ReadyToGo Peon

Best Answers:
    It maybe be possible if they are targetted regionally.
    Mixi has taken over Japan, for example.

ReadyToGo, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  8. Cali_Guy

Cali_Guy Banned

Best Answers:
    One thing I have learned, Anything is Possible.

I have created websites for cluttered niches and still managed to come out with extremely high returns.

But, it's all shoot and miss, unless of coarse you are backed by a corp.

Just try not to invest your life savings in trying to compete with MySpace, why not use that time and energy in copying when you can Create?

cG

Cali_Guy, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  9. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    Sure, just come up with something no one has thought of before, but everyone seems to want. That's Myspace, YouTube, Google, and Microsoft in a nutshell. Or, heck, just come up with something on one has thought of before. Remember that kid who made the website to sell those square? Completely useless, but wholly unique.

jackburton2006, Apr 3, 2007 IP
    ecom-solution.net likes this.
  10. clancey

clancey Peon

Best Answers:
    As other have said it is possible to come up with the next big thing on the net. In fact, it may be that someone who drops in occasionally around here has just launched that very site.

But, as digg.com proves, it helps to be more than "one or more guys getting together".

Kevin Rose had the distinct advantage of being on TV every day and having a significant fan following for his blogs and projects. It made it a lot easier for him to generate buzz around the 1990s idea of having visitors contribute links and rate submissions by others. His innovation was to ask people to submit individual pages instead of a single entry for an individual websites.

clancey, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  11. themlife

themlife Peon

Best Answers:
    I think there is already the *next* myspace with http://virb.com

Anyway, I think the goal should be to come up with something somewhat new and make it really good. Like what digg did.

themlife, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  12. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    I think if you just want to plan to be the next myspace right now, you're pretty late in the game, there are other sites developing, for example :facebook is already getting popular (I know a few shifting from myspace to it...) but... who knows.

8everything, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  13. mrlynam

mrlynam Active Member

Best Answers:
    there are so many "social network" website copies out there trying to get into the huge business, but the only way to really succeed is to have one for a specific location.

For example, in Ireland, www.bebo.com, is the copy and is a huge success. So you would succeed with a huge advertising budget target it at a specific location.

The minute Mars or Jupiter opens for business, i will be ready to make the social site there.

mrlynam, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  14. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    I've never heard about that site before, but I'm sure its popular among the Irish. That is true though, you need very specific niches.. just realized that nexopia.com is pretty popular here in Canada and unknown if you tell someone across the world about it. AND facebook was geared towards college students :D so, specific is key!

8everything, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  15. The2DollarPage

The2DollarPage Banned

Best Answers:
    Myspace is using the phpfox script by the way, with major modifications.

Also, I have a social networking site too, it has about 1500 members in only about 2 weeks and I never spend a penny on advertising.

niggaspot.com if anyone is interested.

Thanks,

The2DollarPage, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  16. netpox

netpox Active Member

Best Answers:
    phpfox is a clone of myspace but i think myspace script was out before phpfox came out...i think they just made a copy of it. Anyways i really do believe that there will be something bigger then myspace.

Facebook.com has been out before myspace and it is very popular too..just not as big as myspace. Bebo.com is popular in europe and orkut.com is also very popular social networking site in india.

Can you really say that in 10 years myspace will still own the social networking world? Myspace is full with spammers and fake accounts, viruses and spyware is spread through myspace daily and security really does suck on myspace. They are doing things about it now but it might be too late.

netpox, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  17. superrichguy

superrichguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not to be mean or rude, but thats what people said about friendster, now where are they?

In my opinion myspace is on its way down, too much spam, outdated look, and tons more can be fixed on it.....

I have a few great ideas, just looking for some people to build the site.....

superrichguy, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  18. The2DollarPage

The2DollarPage Banned

Best Answers:
    Before I bought a copy of PHPfox the programmers were raving on about how
    Myspace uses there software and actually has a license and stuff,
    also PHPfox was out like 5 years ago with a different name, anyways, myspace is going down at the start of FEB. based on alexa.

[​IMG]

The2DollarPage, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  19. netpox

netpox Active Member

Best Answers:
    Oh really! I would of never thought that myspace actually used phpfox script...i thought phpfox just made a clone of it after myspace came out.

netpox, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  20. dudes

dudes Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    phpfox is been around with others names before, but i don't think myspace is from phpfox also myspace is been modify since day 1.
    here is another SN: http://www.hi5.com

dudes, Apr 5, 2007 IP