1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Spartans= The greatest warriors ever!!!

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by pingpong123, Mar 13, 2007.

1. cupid

cupid Peon

Best Answers:
    Man, I was looking at some clips in Youtube, f**kedup how they present the Persians. I am not Persian, but I know history. People who don't know history, they think Entertainment = History.

By the way, to guard that passage you don't need 300, 300 is way too much.

cupid, Mar 16, 2007 IP
  2. pingpong123

pingpong123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Cupid, the persians were conquerors back then. The greeks and spartans defended themselves. I truely believe that pound for pound the spartans were the greatest warriors EVER!!!

Even the great hannibal never faced such odds. Now i havent seen the movie yet but i have read much on the spartans.

pingpong123, Mar 17, 2007 IP
  3. pingpong123

Best Answers:
    Cupid, i give the most credit to hannibal because he was able to properly motivate this war machine. How any general could get so many people from such diverse cultures to get along with each other was beyond me.

But it was his military genius that won out against the romans like at cannae, where he used one of the most brilliant tactical moves of all time called the cannae .

Phoenicians came from the southern coastal caananites. The stories i have been told is that there was one tribe. It broke off into 2 separate tribes . One of those tribes went to sicaly and became teh modern day sicilians, the other went to phoenicia and became the native lebanese. Notice i said native lebanese. The native lebanese were not arabic just as the native americans werent european . There were no arabs before the invasion of muhammads armies. I just love history lol

pingpong123, Mar 17, 2007 IP
  4. cupid

cupid Peon

Best Answers:
    Greek style of fighting is utter hopeless against Roman style of fighting. Romans learned most from Hannibal. Also, learn Persian history. Very few men in the human HISTORY are CALLED "THE GREAT" and they are not Greeks. Alexander is Macedonian.

cupid, Mar 18, 2007 IP
  5. 8^)

8^) Peon

Best Answers:
    What does amuse me is that the persian empire was winning against the roman empire when later the Turanians and arabs invaded.

And dont say that Alexander was a Macedonian to a greek! He will kick your ass.:D

8^), Mar 18, 2007 IP
  6. pingpong123

Best Answers:
    All i know is that persia got beat by sea and by land. The romans came much later and at a time where the spartan power had grown weaker because they did not have the political experience in ruling greece when they finally took it over. Give any great general like hanibal and alexander thegreat a million man army and they will rule the world. Xerxes had a million man army and he couldnt even beat the greeks who he heavily outnumbered. It was a combination of military savvy and willpower by the greeks that won the war and drove back the largest army ever at that time.

pingpong123, Mar 18, 2007 IP
  7. pingpong123

Best Answers:
    But like i said before no army ever had gone against such hopeless odds and came out on top.

8. SolutionX

SolutionX Peon

Best Answers:
    I saw the special about them on the History channel last night, can't wait to see the movie though. Did kind of spoil it finding out that the actual 300 were slaughtered. Doesn't seem like they were as important as the navy battle afterward, but I guess it was kind of the rallying cry like "remember the Alamo!". On the History channel, they were saying that if the greeks had been defeated, there is hardly any chance that democracy would have sprung up anywhere else after that in history! Weird to think about.

SolutionX, Mar 18, 2007 IP
  9. 8^)

8^) Peon

Best Answers:
    actually democrasy existed in indian states. The persians introduced human rights. The carthagians introduced island colonization.

Nobody invented fire, it just comes up somwhow.

Athens and democrasy was destroyed, rebuilt again.

8^), Mar 18, 2007 IP
  10. Phate

Phate Peon

Best Answers:
    Ever heard of Rorke's Drift?

Phate, Mar 18, 2007 IP
  11. pingpong123

Best Answers:
    SolutionX the navy battle was very important as it kept the persians from bring in reinforcments and suuplies by sea, but the 300 battle was important as well as it gave the greeks the needed time to assemble a ground force to battle it out with the remaining persian forces on the ground who were also routed.

12. omidse

omidse Peon

Best Answers:
    :)

you watched the film
    believe this?
    lol ...

man
    they are making tons of money by these kinds of jokes
    yeah the movie has great scenes
    but , a real Joke of the year :D
    300 and ...
    lol
    just read the history if the war and laugh at this

omidse, Mar 18, 2007 IP
  13. pingpong123

Best Answers:
    Omidse i know the history , and even if the movie was a tad eccentric i still believe the spartans were the greatest warriors ever to face such odds and whether it was 300 or 1300 they still faced the greatest odds in the history of warefare

14. 8^)

8^) Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually im not sure, maybe 100 of them would be enough. They where surrounded by montain high walls. they had armour, they had spears twie as long as any greek or persian army.

I still stick to Athens. The greatest warriors of all time must be the mongol army. Best navy Carthago.

8^), Mar 19, 2007 IP
  15. cupid

cupid Peon

Best Answers:
    I think I gave too much credit to Carthaginians. Simplest and most efficient army is MONGOLS (includes nomadic tribes, Huns Atilla) of course. Every army is vulnerable to HIT And RUN strategy. Roman and Greek army based on Infantry, they always get destroyed.

cupid, Mar 19, 2007 IP
  16. Josh Inno

Josh Inno Guest

Best Answers:
    A lot of people forget that this one battle was not all that was needed for the war to be won.

There was later a naval sea battle where the Athenians managed to wipe the floor with the Persian naval fleet... against the advice of the spartins.

I do intend to see 300 when it comes out on DVD and my step-dad buys it, but I do think it'd be more interesting as a miniseries of the war, or a series of movies involving the war, showing great moments of it for the greeks as a whole.

Josh Inno, Mar 19, 2007 IP
  17. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The greates army in history

Rome Army they conquer like all the Europe

w3bmaster, Mar 19, 2007 IP
  18. iul

iul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    IMO the mongols were the greatest warriors...they formed the largest empire that have ever existed on earth. they conquered China, a part of the middle east, a lot of what is today's Russia and a nice chunk of Europe too

iul, Mar 20, 2007 IP
  19. frosty

frosty Peon

Best Answers:
    You really need to study the battle more than that. The Spartans really had the advantage of geography on their side. The Persians could not make use of their superior numbers or cavalry (as they generally did) to outflank the Spartans for a long time.

frosty, Mar 31, 2007 IP
  20. forumrating

forumrating Notable Member

Best Answers:
    i do not know the exact history, but i know a bit whn i saw the movie Troy.

forumrating, Mar 31, 2007 IP