1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should I hire someone?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by dpakman91, Mar 30, 2007.

I currently run a 17 website network, soon to be 19 websites. I'm considering hiring a friend on an hourly basis to do some of the following tasks:

-Approve links on my four directory sites (about 1000 submissions per day across the 4 directories)
    -Submit to directories
    -Add content pages to my content sites

Would this be worth it? Obviously it would be CONVENIENT for me, but it's not like i don't HAVE the time to do it now. It seems it would be worth it if i were to spend all the time i WOULD have spent doing those things to create new websites, etc. Eventually, i thought the person could also be assigned SOME of the sites to sell links on and earn a commission.

I'm interested in hearing people's thoughts on this, as well as what might be a fair USD hourly wage for this, and what other tasks the person could do that would be beneficial to the website network.

dpakman91, Mar 30, 2007 IP
    forumrating likes this.
  2. AvarianParakeet

AvarianParakeet Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know if hiring a friend is ever a really good idea. If he can do the work, then sure, but it might strain your friendship.

As far as the value goes, you will probably earn more by focusing on designing new sites. I'd suggest that you at least pay him minimum wage. The content writing might be better paid on a per job basis. Just my opinion though.

AvarianParakeet, Mar 30, 2007 IP
  3. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Man if you earn enouf , well sure hire a guy/friend/freelancer .....

w3bmaster, Mar 30, 2007 IP
  4. gemini181

gemini181 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You could do this (below) with a much lower % for your friend (since your sites are established in advance)

All you need is simple (random) PHP code which controls the two 'include_Adsense_code.php' files

Now Hiring mods and admins; You get 75% share with your Adsense code, I get just 25%

gemini181, Mar 30, 2007 IP
  5. dpakman91

dpakman91 Banned

Best Answers:
    hmm, i'm not sure what the has to do with submitting to directories and approving links ,etc.

dpakman91, Mar 30, 2007 IP
  6. gemini181

gemini181 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The person doing the work shares the Adsense revenue, and you don't have to pay hourly, monthly, etc.

• My example (starting soon) pays the admin a very generous 75%, for new sites.
    • You could pay 15, 20, 25% (for example) since your sites have traffic already.
    • PHP code to share Adsense is very simple (depending on what site you are modifying)

Edit: This code can be easily modified to work very well, for Adsense rev share.
    I hope this helps.
    I've not used it yet, but I'm certain it will work.

gemini181, Mar 30, 2007 IP
  7. DomainMagnate

DomainMagnate Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    heh it's all about money :)

if you think you are making good enough money with these 17 sites to actually pay someone to do part of the work then go for it.

DomainMagnate, Mar 30, 2007 IP
  8. arcguy

arcguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    you should hire if you think that you can increase your productivity. you need entrepreneur skills to do this, to hire someone and pay.

arcguy, Mar 30, 2007 IP
  9. forumrating

forumrating Notable Member

Best Answers:
    exactly , how much revenue are u generating in a month and how much can you afford to pay to the person working for you, what more can you forecast for next 3-10 months. think everything and then make your decision

forumrating, Mar 30, 2007 IP
    DomainMagnate likes this.
  10. Dubz

Dubz Peon

Best Answers:
    I tried hiring someone from here to submit for me. I only found scammers and the one guy I did send a few $ for as a sample never got back to me lol and then said he did or... You know how that story goes ;).

Avoid a friend if you want to keep him as one.

Dubz, Mar 30, 2007 IP
  11. MaryMary

MaryMary Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Avoid hiring a friend of your's if at all possible. No matter how close you are if you are paying them an hourly wage and they get a better offer somewhere else, it will make you both feel differently when they have to quit working for you. It has happened to me just not with websites.

I would consider trying to find people willing to work online with you. Just pick the most mundane tasks that you hate to do and then put out an ad that you are looking to hire someone for blah blah blah.......

Much better than hiring a friend IMO

Mary

MaryMary, Mar 30, 2007 IP
  12. SEOBangkok

SEOBangkok Guest

Best Answers:
    I had the same problem as you 2 years ago. I had too many sites to control and grow myself. I hired one guy to help me (Link building/research)... a year later I have 6 staff. Without the decision to take on the first guy, I would not have grown to what I have today.

If your sites are generating enough revenue to live and hire someone, I'd say do it! You can only grow so much your self.

Good luck!

SEOBangkok, Mar 30, 2007 IP
  13. Brennan

Brennan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I would love to help complete these's tasks for you. Please Pm me if you still need someone.

Brennan, Mar 30, 2007 IP
  14. Husameddin

Husameddin Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think it is good idea, so that you can concentrate in planning new projects.

Good luck

Husameddin, Mar 31, 2007 IP
  15. dpakman91

dpakman91 Banned

Best Answers:
    Hmm a lot of interesting takes, a lot to consider for sure

dpakman91, Mar 31, 2007 IP
  16. protectyourself

protectyourself Banned

Best Answers:
    You should hire someone if you can pay him with less than you get from his work.

protectyourself, Mar 31, 2007 IP
  17. jmweb

jmweb Peon

Best Answers:
    Business and pleasure (friends) shouldn't mix, unless there is multiple people between you and your friend.

jmweb, Mar 31, 2007 IP
  18. KunkVentures

KunkVentures Peon

Best Answers:
    hiring an assistant is usually worth it. Even the great shoemoney has some assistants and coders.

KunkVentures, Apr 1, 2007 IP
  19. infonote

infonote Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hire someone but not a friend. You risk losing your friendship.

infonote, Apr 1, 2007 IP
  20. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hire someone for the simple stuff like accepting submissions and dealing with link requests. Make sure you trust them and that they understand your editorial policy. Make very clear guidelines on what you expect and what you are paying for. Make sure the friend in question knows how to deal with that sort of business attitude. It will change the friendship, but if you start out right I don't think it needs to spoil the friendship.

kh7, Apr 1, 2007 IP