1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What will happen when RegisterFly shuts down on 31st March?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by fleur05, Mar 20, 2007.

If a domain is NOT yet to expire and it is not transferred to another registrar, what will happen to the domain name when ICANN revoke Registerfly accreditation?

fleur05, Mar 20, 2007 IP
  2. Dave Zan

Dave Zan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In theory, ICANN will secure all domain registration data from Registerfly after
    March 31. And that's if Registerfly will give it to them.

In reality, no one knows until that day.

Dave Zan, Mar 20, 2007 IP
  3. ichigo

ichigo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ichigo, Mar 20, 2007 IP
    marioland likes this.
  4. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    It is hard to say because in the history of domain names, this probably hasn't happened before. Registryfly as far as I know is the first company who got booted out.

I guess as long as it is not expired, you still own the domain name, it is just that you have no way of renewing it or making any changes.

I would supposed it would be like how a company who is listed on the stock exchange get delisted. You are still a shareholder but you cannot trade in your stock readily.

eddy2099, Mar 20, 2007 IP
  5. tobycoke

tobycoke Peon

Best Answers:
    ICANN doesn't have the facilities, resources or manpower to manage domains. They are likely now in discussions with one more registrars to take over the accounts.

tobycoke, Mar 20, 2007 IP
  6. fleur05

fleur05 Peon

Best Answers:
    I just registered some domains last December so I still have like 9 months before they expire. All are unused so I am not sure if I'd rather transfer them or just buy a different set of domains at a cheaper price :)

fleur05, Mar 21, 2007 IP
  7. Earning

Earning Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Earning, Mar 23, 2007 IP
  8. marioland

marioland Banned

Best Answers:
    Rep to you, very useful link. Thanks!

marioland, Mar 23, 2007 IP
  9. login

login Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I bet they will give all to GoDaddy. but I wish they woud give it to namecheap, they are much better.

login, Mar 23, 2007 IP
  10. Xaver

Xaver Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I had tried over 2 weeks to transfer over 100 of my domains from RegisterFly and was successful with majority of them.
    I wrote about my problematic domains (such that had RRP or blank auth code) to . I know it sounds a little bizarre, but today, after 72 hours since sending my email, I received reply telling that my domains have authorization codes available. And it was true.
    I still have one domain with mixed-up whois information and some domains younger then 60 days (I am not worried about the young ones) at RegisterFly.

Please use following form when writing to Oscar:

1. Domain name:

2. RegisterFly account name:

3. Associated email address:

4. Brief explanation of problem:

5. Last attempt to solve situation through registerfly.com :

Xaver, Mar 24, 2007 IP
  11. energetic

energetic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have fews domains in RegisterFly. I do nothing so far.
    I just want to know what will happen when RegisterFly shuts down on 31st March?

some one said from other forum:
    ICANN will presumably have all of the RF customer records and will transfer the whole lot to a new Registrar - e.g. GoDaddy, eNOM, etc.

This will hopefully not cost all the domain name holders money.

energetic, Mar 24, 2007 IP
  12. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    If I were you, I will not wait till that time to find out. Registryfly does not necessary need to shut down, it just is no longer ICANN Certified by that time.

Worst case might be that you no longer can control the domain name, it be active until it expires. You just cannot renew them or change anything.

If you need those domain names, it is best to try to transfer it out now, what you pay is a few dollars to add another year of registration to the name. You are not disadvantage in anyways.

eddy2099, Mar 24, 2007 IP
  13. energetic

energetic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    But I cannot see the "AUTH code" now

energetic, Mar 25, 2007 IP
  14. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    eddy2099, Mar 25, 2007 IP
  15. Your Content

Your Content Banned

Best Answers:
    As I told before, either you have one domain or one thousand, your budgeting may say that you have not money to move them on March.

Most of us don't want to lose our domains, but we have no way to pay for moving them all at once, specially large portfolios scheduled to be renewed eventually, but not right now.

Your Content, Mar 25, 2007 IP
  16. Your Content

Your Content Banned

Best Answers:
    I simply hope they don't get lost, registrar doesn't really matter because I will transfer them eventually to the cheaper, usually Dynadot and Domainsite ;)

The same here, I could still register domains on February so my actual renewal dates start on June, others already paid or transferred

Sadly I believe this offer is for people with a single domain, but nice offer anyway :)

I emailed Oscar last night and hope to get an answer, although I have only two domains in trouble with lack of authorization codes, incidentally those that remain as registered under eNOM

As I said in other post, I smell a rat behind eNom if you track its mischievous activities of the last months.

Your Content, Mar 25, 2007 IP
  17. tobycoke

tobycoke Peon

Best Answers:
    ICANN members are off on a junket to Lisbon this week where they will drink vino and wring their hands discussing the Registerfly issue at a theoretical level. Who's in charge back at HQ during this critical week? Don't expect everything to be solved and domains moved by the 31st.

tobycoke, Mar 25, 2007 IP
  18. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:

Well, like I said before, this Registerfly fiasco did not happened overnight. I remember some 2 years ago, people already complaining about them when they were using Enom. That pretty much did not change.

However, the thing is that no one knows what would happen after March 31st. Like I said, the worst case is that the domain names would still be active but without a registrar and you cannot renew or manage it after that time. One thing for sure is that after March 31st, Registerfly does not need to listen to ICANN because it got dropped out of it then again, it is not that they comply to them in the first place.

I don't think any registrar would want to take on the lot of registerfly refugee for free. Because the whole lot means that they have to incur costs in infrastructure and support just to handle the new refugees.

If you do not have the money now, maybe what you can do is to transfer those domain names which you treasure mosts then work down the line from there. If there are some which you feel is not important, you can leave them behind so at least your loss is minimized.

Go Beg, Borrow or Steal if your domain names means that much to you. You could always ask for an extension to your credit card, borrow money from your friends or relatives or something. Do it before you lose your domains.

Trust me, I am not trying to find fault with you. I just have your interests at heart.

19. tobycoke

tobycoke Peon

Best Answers:
    I suspect ICANN will have to pay full or partial reg fee to the registrars willing to take on these domains.

tobycoke, Mar 25, 2007 IP
  20. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, personally I don't think that ICANN would pay for the mistake of Registerfly. If the party that should pay, it would be Registerfly as they would have pocketed the money from selling those domain names. The ICANN fees will still be the same whereever you register the domain names.

I tracked the actions of ICANN in the fiasco and they seems quite powerless. It seems that ICANN is just a society and the worst they could do is to boot someone off it but they cannot force them to do anything beyond that. After March 31st, Registerfly is no longer an ICANN Accredited member so it is not ICANN problem anymore. I know ICANN can seek for a member to do a bulk transfer of the remaining domains which have not been transferred out but there has to be some incentive for someone to do so. Chances are some domain names will probably not remain at that registrar because they could be too expensive or the owners do not want it anymore.

We just have to wait and see and hope I am wrong.