1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Using .htaccess to replace special characters in URLs

Discussion in 'Apache' started by WildBil2Me, Mar 25, 2007.

I'm running WordPress and about a month ago I needed to change the plugin that handles my tags.

One thing I didn't notice until just recently was the manner in which the two different plugins handled spaces in tags. One placed a '+' sign between words while the new one places an '_'. I've recently started generating large amounts of 404s as a result and am looking to solve the issue using .htaccess to redirect the traffic to the right spot.

I believe that .htaccess is the way to go, the problem is I just can't seem to wrap my head around it. Here's what I need to do ...

Whenever I get a request for 'myURL.com/tag/foo+bar' I need to redirect to 'myURL.com/tag/foo_bar'. I've been scouring Google, these forums and other sites for a couple hours now but have had no luck finding anything applies.

Can anyone provide me with a solution? I'd really appreciate it.

WildBil2Me, Mar 25, 2007 IP
  2. rodney88

rodney88 Guest

Best Answers:
    You can do this in mod_rewrite but it's not ideal. Unfortunately there is no such command to replace a certain character with another and therefore you'd need to create regex patterns for every number of + there may be in the URL. If you're only ever expecting one +, you can use:
    RewriteRule ^tag/(.+)\+(.+)$ tag/$1_$2 [R=301]

If there may be two +, you'd need another rewrite rule to match that as well:
    RewriteRule ^tag/(.+)\+(.+)\+(.+)$ tag/$1_$2_$3 [R=301]

And so on. As I'm sure you can imagine, PHP would quickly become a better solution:
    if ( strpos($_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'],'+') ) {
      header('Location: http://www.domain.com' . str_replace('+','_',$_SERVER['REQUEST_URI']);
      exit;
    }
    PHP:

rodney88, Mar 25, 2007 IP
  3. WildBil2Me

WildBil2Me Peon

Best Answers:
    As a rule I keep all my tags to two words - it makes it easier to sort them. I'm guessing that makes the first line the way to go for now.

Unfortunately it's not redirecting - just sending me to a 404 page with 'myurl.com/tag/foo+bar' as the address.

I added the line just as it appears above.

added
    With the PHP solution you suggested - where would I add that to get it working?

4. rodney88

rodney88 Guest

Best Answers:
    You need to setup rewriting first. The whole thing would be something like:
    Options +FollowSymlinks
    Options +Indexes
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^tag/(.+)\+(.+)$ tag/$1_$2 [R=301]
    Code (markup):
    And that would go in a domain.com/.htaccess file.

rodney88, Mar 25, 2007 IP
  5. WildBil2Me

WildBil2Me Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks again for your response rodney, I just tried that code as well and I'm still getting a 404 error.

It's throwing me for a loop. There's something about the first part of the Rewrite Rule that doesn't like the + sign.

6. WildBil2Me

WildBil2Me Peon

Best Answers:
    ok, I got it figured out:

It's working like a charm