1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to quickly uncover high demand keywords that have NO competition

Discussion in 'Keywords' started by SuperSimpleGuy, Feb 28, 2007.

1. mtb167

mtb167 Peon

Best Answers:
    I hate to rain on everyone's parade, but while bloglover's tool is certainly helpful, it doesn't give you the best metrics for determining competition.

Heres why:
    If you were to search for something liiiiike "mobile satellite communications" you would find that google tells you there are 36,100,000 competitors. But to say that a page optimized for "mobile satellite communications" is competing with 36 million other pages is like saying the Ozzy Smith is competing with my 9 year old Cousin for "best short stop ever" because they play the same position.

The fact is, if you optimize a page for a keyword, many times, 99% of the pages out there won't have a chance to rank ahead of you.

I like to use this search to find ACTUAL competitors for a keyword.
    intitle:"keyword phrase" inanchor:"keyword phrase"

This will return pages with the 2 most important SEO factors:
    1. Keyword in Title Tag
    2. Keyword in Anchor Text

Granted, its not fool proof, but it brings "mobile satellite communications" down to 87 competitors instead of 36 million. And i'll say, those are your true competitors, and the fewer of them google returns, the better your chances of ranking.

You can find a tool that will run this search on a bulk number of keywords here:
    And I wrote an article about how to find low competition keywords that covers my keyword selection technique in the depth.

mtb167, Mar 7, 2007 IP
    SuperSimpleGuy likes this.
  2. 30dayswithruss

30dayswithruss Guest

Best Answers:
    Oh boy, This thread is becoming more informative than a $97 ebook.
    I will save this and keep referring to this.
    Thanks.

30dayswithruss, Mar 7, 2007 IP
  3. SuperSimpleGuy

SuperSimpleGuy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Hey mtb167! :)

Thank you very much, indeed this is a very valuable Operators combo.

For my keywords competition research I was using only two of Advanced Google Search Operators:

• allintitle:"my keywords"
    • allinurl:"my keywords"

Here's what Google is saying about these Operators:

1- allintitle:
    "If you start a query with [allintitle:], Google will restrict the results to those with all of the query words in the title. For instance, [allintitle: google search] will return only documents that have both "google" and "search" in the title."

2- allinurl:
    "If you start a query with [allinurl:], Google will restrict the results to those with all of the query words in the url. For instance, [allinurl: google search] will return only documents that have both "google" and "search" in the url."

You can find more info about Google Advanced Search Operators here:
    http://www.google.com/help/operators.html

And remember, these are not Search Operators (or commands) that are exclusive to Google, you may be able to use them in other search engines also (although I don't know details about each one)

Now, why not playing with some Search Operators combos?
    Doing some tests, I think I invented a new cool Search Operator combo ;)

First, I tried this: say we're searching for the keyword "perfect keywords" on Google, here are the results:

"perfect keywords" (8 390 000 results)

- By applying mtb167's Search Operators:

intitle:"perfect keywords" inanchor:"perfect keywords" (115 risults)

Now here's SuperSimpleGuy's Ultimate 3 Hits Operator Combo Technique(TM) LOL:

inurl:"perfect keywords" intitle:"perfect keywords" inanchor:"perfect keywords" (only 19 results!)

What do you think about it, isn't it cool huh? :D
    I really hope it will be useful for everyone, please try it and tell your feedback ;)

I didn't experiment that much (trying to create a sitemap for my blogger lol)

See you soon!

SSG

SuperSimpleGuy, Mar 8, 2007 IP
  4. Neeraj Varma

Neeraj Varma Peon

Best Answers:
    I think having competitors is a good thing. It shows that the people who go that page are willing to spend money. The more competition there is, the more likely it is that you will end up with buying customers.

Neeraj Varma, Mar 8, 2007 IP
  5. SuperSimpleGuy

SuperSimpleGuy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Hi Neeraj Varma,

Notice that there is a difference between online keyword competition and online market competition.

Competition in a given market is a good thing, what we don't need are
    big mass competitors for certain keywords.
    We need the kind of keywords that are highly demanded by people online
    and where there is a poor supply.

It is hard to find these keywords. That's why I'm looking for some strategy
    or technique that enables to get some quick results. Why? simply because
    I cannot use paid tools like Wordtracker, if you use it, you can end up
    finding very profitable niches (I know there are a lot of parameters also)

So, just to revise the purpose of the thread, and the very first question is still
    open, any challenger? :)

See you,
    SSG.

SuperSimpleGuy, Mar 9, 2007 IP
  6. smfseo

smfseo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    check out how many searches does word tracker show for phrase "desi lund picture"
    I had a page ranking no1 on yahoo msn and google for more then 3 months and finnaly let it go coz I used to get about 10-20 hits a day out of that key phrase.

Wordtracker can be very accurate when it comes to data for USA but when it comes to other countries.. India for instance it just plain sucks.

The only keyword search volume research tool I have found reliable enough is www.google.com/trends but you cannot rely on it 100% either
    Try comparing other words graphs with the words you rank no1 for to see what the traffic will be like for a new keyword... Thats the way I work and it works wonders and I now rank No1 for a few killer keywords (cant post them here for obvious reasons).

Forgot to add....

Although its a very inaccurate tool but the only thing I use alexa is to check traffic on a site which ranks No1 for the keyword I am gonna go for just to double check that I am not being bluffed by them poxy tools :) %tage of visitors and now the geo location is very helpful..
    This will only work for those sites which target the keyword with the domain name itlsef and will be useless if its a well established site as it might be getting traffic from keywords which me and you would have never imagined...

Dont forget to check urltrends.com :) some times you can see a clue where the traffic is comming from right at the bottom of the page

smfseo, Mar 10, 2007 IP
  7. BlogLover

BlogLover Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks MrWizard :) You should really see the new improved tool :)

Well SSG, the tool has just improved. Check it out now and post what you think. Oh by the way, as for how I came across the tool... Let's just say I know the BlogMaster personally. He is me! *LOL*

Thanks for the constructive criticism mtb167. However, this was not new to me. I had already begun coding the tool to address this way before this post. You however brought some urgency to it :D

Initially I meant the tool to be for personal use but I just couldn't keep it to myself. I think it was a wise decision. It brought various challenges that have caused the tool to have major improvements in record time.

You should also note that your method only targets the keyword phrase, not the keyword string. Analyzing the keyword string is very important as many users search without brackets.

To analyze the keyword string you need to search the sites with all the keywords both in the title and anchor text irregardless of their order. The operators to use here are allintitle: and allianchor:. However using them as a combination will produce wrong results. We need to modify these operators. But then there is no need for me to go into detail on this, the new Rushmore’s Keyword Research Tool does all this for you automatically :)

I have also coded two more advanced tools. One includes the total Google results as well the optimized results for both the keyword string and phrase plus keyword effectiveness index, the other one shows the competition for all the big three i.e. Google, Yahoo and MSN. The later has not been officially released yet. I plan to make it available only to the registered members of my forum.

PS: If anyone has any special operators they would like to share please feel free.

BlogLover, Mar 18, 2007 IP
  8. mtb167

mtb167 Peon

Best Answers:
    Blog Lover - great post. Great tool.

I have two points

How exactly are you getting the string value? Because Google doesn't allow for the allintitle and allinanchor operators in the same search. This is why i have to use intitle:"keyphrase"

I would love to know how you calculate it.

Second - unfortunately, because overture's keyword tool is a piece of who-ha, the phrase matching will never work perfectly.

When Overture returns something like "Atlanta estate real" you can't really get a good idea of competition, because no sane person will optimize for atlanta estate real. However, because it's a script and not people, your tool can't decipher that the real term is "Atlanta Real Estate."

Still - the phrase functionality makes this a book-markable tool.

Thanks for making it!

mtb167, Mar 19, 2007 IP
  9. BlogLover

BlogLover Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the compliment mtb167 :) At least somebody notices ;)

Well it's very simple really... When you use an allsomething operator like allintitle: then everything else you type after that operator is affected by it. Hence you can't use another operator after it. There is a simple way of getting around this problem, however. We use it's alternative operator, intitle: When you type intitle:keyword1 keyword2 etc This operator looks for keyword1 in the title of the web page and keyword2 anywhere else. This makes it possible fro us to incorporate more operators :D

Now, allintitle: keyword1 keyword2 = intitle:keyword1 intitle:keyword2

Hence, though we can't directly query allintitle: keyword1 keyword2 allinanchor: keyword1 keyword2 in Google, we can still get the result we want by using intitle:keyword1 intitle:keyword2 inanchor:keyword1 inanchor:keyword2 :D

This is how my tool calculates the string values.

Right. This is what really inspired me to calculate the string data in the first place. The string does not take into account the order of the words.

There are still some phrases that make perfect sense from Overture too sometimes.

I hope you are satisfied now.

BlogLover, Mar 20, 2007 IP
    mtb167 likes this.
  10. mtb167

mtb167 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the answer. This will be my new go-to tool.

Great post BlogLover!

mtb167, Mar 21, 2007 IP
  11. BlogLover

BlogLover Peon

Best Answers:
    No problem pal :D and thank you.

BlogLover, Mar 21, 2007 IP
  12. swoop

swoop Active Member

Best Answers:
    I just posted a Help Wanted ad in BlogLover's forum, seeking someone to find some smart keywords that I can use to bring some dormant websites to life. Since I'm looking for Adsense revenue, my criteria for "smart" keywords are
    • lots of searches for,
    • expensive bids for, and
    • little competition

In the posting I gave a list of general topics that my existing domains suggest, but of course if somebody finds a $10 keyword on any topic with 1000 searches / day and only 3 websites in competition...well, I would go for that in a heartbeat! :)

swoop, Mar 28, 2007 IP
  13. BlogLover

BlogLover Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi swoop,

I have just replied to your post. You can check my tip on doing keyword research for AdSense.

Feel free to post any keyword research questions, and thanks for posting :D

BlogLover, Mar 29, 2007 IP
  14. mrlynam

mrlynam Active Member

Best Answers:
    spend time searching keywords manually

mrlynam, Mar 29, 2007 IP
  15. m1t0s1s

m1t0s1s Peon

Best Answers:
    Buying a keyword in adsense can also give you the quickest idea of how the keywords effectiveness.

I made it to 4th out of 639,000 pages for a dual-word keyword (eg: "dual word") after three months, as well as 35th out of 900,000 for the same keyword with without the space (eg: "dualword").

Call it dumb or dumb luck, but sometimes its good to just do some "blind" seo without looking at the competitions links and meta tags, title tags, etc.... But if you're not in the seo business for yourself and you work for someone else inhouse then you probably have to manage your time better, since your on their time.

PS: Isn't it true that you can rank higher in the adsense listings by using "keyword" or [keyword] rather than keyword?

m1t0s1s, Mar 29, 2007 IP
  16. BlogLover

BlogLover Peon

Best Answers:
    Here is a screenshot:

[​IMG]

BlogLover, Mar 30, 2007 IP
  17. IR1st

IR1st Peon

Best Answers:
    wordtracker worked for me as well. I did find some phrases that weren't as competitive but still quite popular ("unusual" instead of "unique", for example)

IR1st, Mar 31, 2007 IP
  18. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    Personally I think a simple google search is really all it takes to see how competitive a niche is. It's not about the total numbers, but about the top 10 (or top 20). Are they actually about the subject researched? If yes - bummer. Do they have the keywords in the title tag and in heading-tags (h1, h2 etc.) - bummer 2. If no to both of those, you stand a good chance of competing with them, if you have a decent trust rating on your site and you can create some good links to your content.
    Checking for the text in links to sites is also a good idea, obviously - but in practice I don't end up doing that (yet).

kh7, Apr 1, 2007 IP
  19. Valley

Valley Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, it is called content!
    Instead of worrying on how to opto your site for majic X, just build it. People type in some weird stuff. The more content you have the more holy grails will be uncovered.
    Also fire enough PR agains the site, and deep link it so that the content gets indexed.
    There is no golden chicken.
    Research your topic and contribute, That gets more hits than a year of keyword stuffing

Valley, Apr 2, 2007 IP
  20. alfaresy

alfaresy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Woow....
    I am very happy reading this thread.
    Very informative:)

Alfaresy

alfaresy, Apr 29, 2007 IP