1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Beware of Paypal-Egold Exchange Scammers

Discussion in 'PayPal' started by sar420, Mar 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I had a very bad experience a couple of days ago. Actually, I got th following PM in my DP inbox:

Now I thought it was a good offer as this guy had agreed to send the funds first. As we chatted on MSN, I agreed to send him $50 E-Gold if he sent me $65 via Paypal in exchange. He told me to send a bill for $65 and that he will pay it.

I sent a bill for $65 and he paid it! I was glad thinking its a good deal, but the bad part was still to come

Within 5 minutes I sent him $50 Egold...

And in another 5 minutes, this guy claimed a refund on the $65 he sent me from paypal putting the reason as "unauthorised access to my account".

Bloody hell! Paypal holds back the funds, asks me to resolve the issue.

On Clicking Resolve, I get the following options:

- Issue the buyer a full refund. (If you have not yet shipped the item to the buyer, selecting this option will settle the claim.)

- I can provide tracking information. (Because it can prove that the item was shipped to the account holder's address, this information can determine the validity of the claim.)

-The buyer has already been refunded and I can provide proof of the previous refund.

PayPal will review the information and determine whether the claim can be closed.

Thank you for your cooperation.

There is nothing I can click among any of these 3...What tracking or shipping info can I provide about an Egold/Paypal Exchange that happened over IM!! And why should i REFUND THE PAYMENT??

So I just emailed them explaining the circumstances and how paypal does not offer any seller protection! To which they replied that they do not provide seller protection for intangible goods...

I dont know what to do now. Guess $50 Egold down the drain...

By the way, this person's DP username is arias03...
    He is banned from DP now.

It was partially my fault actually. To believe in a PM from a guy who had 0 posts on DP. And amazingly, he got banned from DP the same day...dunno y?
    I forgot his msn username..will let you know when I search thru my list. He's blocked me so I can never see him online!

Anyways..now I've told you guys about this..please beware of such people and offers. Coz Egold does not offer a buyer protection..while paypal offers a buyer super-duper protection that leaves the seller in the cold.

sar420, Mar 13, 2007 IP
  2. Freeaholics

Freeaholics Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry to here that mate. Thanks for the heads up.

Freeaholics, Mar 13, 2007 IP
  3. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the warning. I've actually a number of those PM recently. The first I replied to say I do not have e-gold funds and he asked if I have any. I just feel fishy about all these especially if it is someone new and I do not know a whole lot about.

I know it is possible with e-gold payment being final. There are just cheats around and that is no good.

Don't explain the exchange for e-gold to paypal funds with Paypal as Money Services exchange is against their AUP and explaining may get your account deeper into problem. Take it as an expensive lesson.

Sorry to hear about this.

eddy2099, Mar 13, 2007 IP
  4. ReadyToGo

ReadyToGo Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry to hear that. The only way to be sure that the person you are dealing with is legit around here is to check the iTrader rating.

ReadyToGo, Mar 13, 2007 IP
  5. mixke

mixke Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    0 posts and so most probably 0 itraders , I believe this was your mistake . Hopefully,you will be more carefull next time .

mixke, Mar 13, 2007 IP
  6. getjimmy

getjimmy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I really feel sorry for u SAR, Even sometimes I also gets these types of offers in my Inbox and 99.99% messages r from people with 0 or < 5 posts.

Its good that u have posted here and i hope everyone will learn a lesson from it.

getjimmy, Mar 14, 2007 IP
  7. zinruss

zinruss Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Do not exchange pp to egold. This is against pp's TOS. Most of the time, gambling related site webmasters use e-gold because "sale is final". Get the point here?

zinruss, Mar 14, 2007 IP
  8. sar420

sar420 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, of course. I did say it was my mistake here. But wanted to warn everyone else here so they dont fall into such traps.

And shit, I actually tried explaining it to them in an email. But they just replied that Egold was an intangible good, and we don't offer seller protection for intangible goods.

Thanks for leting me know about this...

Yeah, I hope no one repeats my mistake!

sar420, Mar 14, 2007 IP
  9. TwistMyArm

TwistMyArm Peon

Best Answers:
    Interesting how they claim that egold is intangible: isn't the whole point of egold that there physically is gold being held for you? Just because you can't touch it and just because the buyer can't touch it (unless they withdraw it) doesn't make it any less tangible I'd have thought!

TwistMyArm, Mar 14, 2007 IP
  10. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, anyone actually receive the physical gold from e-gold as yet ?

eddy2099, Mar 14, 2007 IP
  11. 15challenger

15challenger Banned

Best Answers:
    Even I received his pm.

15challenger, Mar 14, 2007 IP
  12. MarcL

MarcL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What you do is tell him to make a claim against you can then cancel it, because you are only aloud one claim per transaction. Then you send the e-gold after he does the fake claim and cancels it.
    Marc

MarcL, Mar 14, 2007 IP
    Clive likes this.
  13. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    If this is true about 1 claim per transaction,
    then it's an interesting way to protect yourself, need to keep a note of that, thanks :)

Clive, Mar 14, 2007 IP
  14. MarcL

MarcL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yep no problem, I sell e-gold to paypal all the time to people and that is what I do... Works everytime!

MarcL, Mar 14, 2007 IP
  15. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    That means you must have a huge disputes list history in your account.
    Has Paypal ever contacted you in regards to that?

Clive, Mar 14, 2007 IP
  16. MarcL

MarcL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No, I had 5 transactions that got claimed and canceled... They dont mind as long as the disputes get figured out.
    At least as far as I know...

MarcL, Mar 14, 2007 IP
  17. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    Well, I was misled by your "Works everytime" so I thought there's a big list of cancelled disputes to look at. 5 is insignificant..

Clive, Mar 14, 2007 IP
  18. MarcL

MarcL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Oh sorry... But it still works, so use it for things like this... I doubt paypal would get angry...

MarcL, Mar 14, 2007 IP
  19. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    No problem, and thanks.
    I'll keep in mind to try this on dodgy customers..

Clive, Mar 14, 2007 IP
  20. inworx

inworx Peon

Best Answers:
    Well...I dont think you'll be able to recover funds.

Moral of the story is that "Never do egold trades with those members whom you dont believe and who arent trustable"

Also, contact egold and give them proof of the paypal and egold transaction. They wont reverse the funds as its not in their policy but they will ban the other side from sending funds. SO, it will be of no use for him either.

Go ahead before he scams anyone else!

inworx, Mar 14, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.