1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do You Squidoo? Good way to get free traffic

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by SALINAS, Nov 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Janet

Janet Peon

Best Answers:

That is one lens. I can see managing that with one lens, but is it possible to get say all your lenses (10 or more) in the top 100? I had a few lenses in the top 100 for a week or so, but then I had to work on my other lenses as well so they dropped out. I have decided to not be so 'lensrank obessesed' and just work on my lens to promote my website, which was the reason for creating them in the first place. If I only concentrated on 1 or 2 lenses, I think I could keep them in the top 100, but with more than that plus my personal website and everything else I need to get done, I just don't think it is possible. Atleast for me.

Janet, Mar 11, 2007 IP
  2. Reprobate

Reprobate Guest

Best Answers:
    Once you have one in there it's easier to keep it there then to try doing it cold.

At the moment I have two in the Top 100. I have had 3. With one at about 16th. (Just double checked, strike that... they've "plunged" into the 200's and 400's).

What you've said in the lens is correct, at least to a point. And it would have been very easy to follow your instructions 6 months ago and do it. But with stronger 'competition' it's not so doable. Not so much now, and 6 months from now near impossible.

I couldn't apply it to all my lenses and come up with the same result (having a couple of hundred kinda makes it hard to make them all fit into 100 top spots :D).

And not every lens has a topic that's suitable.

And not every lensmaster will have the necessary skills (even after reading your lens, which is simple to follow yet informative) to be able to back up their new found knowledge.

I do believe gone are the days that anyone can get a lens into the Top 100 in just five days.

Reprobate, Mar 11, 2007 IP
  3. Reprobate

Reprobate Guest

Best Answers:
    Stop by www.squidoo.com/why to help your pondering. :)

Reprobate, Mar 11, 2007 IP
  4. Riatsala

Riatsala Peon

Best Answers:
    My lens being promoted by the famous N376 AND squidoo's editor in chief, fantastic! :D

It's interesting to note that in spite of all this attention, the lens is still only ranked #3,758. That's a very long way from the top 100, and maybe proves a point?

Riatsala, Creator of http://www.squidoo.com/whydidthechickencrosstheroad/

Riatsala, Mar 12, 2007 IP
  5. Cryogenius

Cryogenius Peon

Best Answers:
    Cryogenius, Mar 12, 2007 IP
  6. sussane

sussane Active Member

Best Answers:
    thanks for sharing with us. Its really good.

sussane, Mar 12, 2007 IP
  7. Janet

Janet Peon

Best Answers:
    Feel free to add any photography lenses to my photography group if you have not done so already. :)

Janet, Mar 12, 2007 IP
  8. Reprobate

Reprobate Guest

Best Answers:
    The famous N376?

Now how did I get that tag? :)

Sometimes I feel like I'm infamous.

Well at least now the ones I seem to 'kiss' off the most ignore my comments and questions. I do recall being told a while ago "she doesn't have to answer to you". Not that I asked a question mind. But as a common courtesy I think everyone should answer someone who has a question.

Anyway, why I love your chicken lens is that it's... quaint. It's not "look at me! I'm the best!" it's taken a joke/cliche and wrapped it around some affiliate modules which makes it very easy to digest.

A couple of content modules between the product modules would be good. A Road Crossing Chicken thesis would be good.

A bit more content and I'm predicting that it'll get into the first page of results for a Google search on "Why Did The Chicken Cross The Road?" before too long.

Here's something about the origin (Chicken Road Crossing History): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Why_did_the_chicken_cross_the_road?

Reprobate, Mar 12, 2007 IP
  9. adgerc

adgerc Peon

Best Answers:
    adgerc, Mar 12, 2007 IP
  10. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, I did not realize that Squidoo allowed a lens such as this. Can anyone else verify that this type of lens is allowed? If so, I will certainly add my online cable store.

jrbiz, Mar 13, 2007 IP
  11. Janet

Janet Peon

Best Answers:
    Why do you think they wouldn't allow a lens like this?

Janet, Mar 13, 2007 IP
  12. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I first heard about Squidoo via this thread and did not see a single lens that was basically advertising an ecommerce site in all of the posts to date. Of course, I may have missed one...but I do not believe so. I thought that Squidoo would not be happy about re-directing their visitors to an ecommerce site that did not pay them royalties for this since that seems to be their main source of income (i.e., PPC and Affiliate sites like Amazon.)

jrbiz, Mar 13, 2007 IP
  13. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    They seem to actively encourage you to advertise your business and professional sites, so I wouldn't worry about it. :) You can pretty much make a lens on anything you want.

jhmattern, Mar 13, 2007 IP
  14. Janet

Janet Peon

Best Answers:

I see a lot of ecommerce lenses. :)

Janet, Mar 13, 2007 IP
  15. Reprobate

Reprobate Guest

Best Answers:
    Squidoo is pretty much how you make it. If you read Everyone Is An Expert you'll get to see the original vision.

Which was pretty much sorting and organising your favourite topics and interests. If you were to make a lens on say... Graphic Design... in fact let's be more specific than that: Typography (the study of type aka fonts) and you were to have links to the best sites that you've bookmarked. And I'm not talking about it being a quick Google and grabbing the first ten links.

The idea has grown quite a bit since then. People are encouraged to make a lens on their business, and link to it. Occasionally of course a spammer will come along and make a spam lens (splens?) but for the most part you can tell when someone does have a vested interest in a topic.

The concept has evolved with Lensmasters putting in more time and effort into the content of their lenses. I went there for a few reasons. It can increase your backlinks, your PR can be boasted, and you can have sites that get indexed far quicker by Search Engines. But after playing around a bit I realised there was so much more I could do.

Not just give people links to the best places to find information, but give them the information right there. Sure, I still give links, and also complement it with product placement (the affiliate modules) but Squidoo is an easy to use tool to create a platform to communicate your thoughts, ideas and information.

I made this lens: http://www.squidoo.com/drumsanddrumming which introduces people to the drums. One of my first (I'm thinking of going through Amazon and picking out new items) but I'm very happy with it.

From there it links (daisy chained) to 7 more lenses. Each one a lesson.

I think it would have been too much to have it all in the one lens. And breaking it up into individual lessons makes it easier for a beginner to follow.

I've also been writing articles (and also dusting off old articles I wrote between 1995 and 1999 when I did a lot of writing and freelance contributions) and making lenses for them.

I've been writing a lot of lenses dealing with Squidoo: www.squidoo.com/where (is a directory of all of them, as well as a few written by others). When writing www.squidoo.com/what I felt that the part on Modules wouldn't be done justice without a comprehensive break down of what each done. But on the other hand if I included it the length would have eclipsed that of the original lens. So I wrote another lens: www.squidoo.com/module and linked to it.

If I use an excerpt from elsewhere I'm sure to source it with a link.

The only limit for what you can do is your imagination (and hopefully some moral boundaries :D)

But as far as using your own affiliate links in your lens, Squidoo has no problem with it. Of course they'd like you to use their affiliate modules, but if you put a direct link with your Amazon associate referral link to a product, it's no drama on their part. And if you use affiliate programs that they don't have that's no problem either.

The flexibility of their tools and their attitude is what makes me believe that they'll be around for a long time.

Reprobate, Mar 13, 2007 IP
  16. sar420

sar420 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Reprobate, you're a true squidoo lensmaster man. Hats off to you!

sar420, Mar 13, 2007 IP
  17. luckyNumber

luckyNumber Active Member

Best Answers:
    3,758 doesn't look too bad from where I'm sitting with my recently created/updated lenses:

Trade Leads
    Black Hair

All very well but it seems to be just another set of pages I have to promote:(

luckyNumber, Mar 14, 2007 IP
  18. toddo14

toddo14 Banned

Best Answers:
    toddo14, Mar 14, 2007 IP
  19. Riatsala

Riatsala Peon

Best Answers:
    Being a prolific forum poster gets you noticed by a lot of people. That's what famous means, right? ;)

Happy to take your advice as always. There's now an Early Examples section and some links to More Fowl Humor.

http://www.squidoo.com/whydidthechickencrosstheroad/
    Lensrank #3,013 and rising!

Riatsala

Riatsala, Mar 14, 2007 IP
  20. magnate

magnate Peon

Best Answers:
    magnate, Mar 14, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.