1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to start freelance programming?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by filprogrammer, Mar 11, 2007.

Hi everyone, good day!!!

Hi I am 21, on my senior year at college. Can you help me how to start a freelance programming job? I am ready to accept jobs in PHP/AJAX Mysql, Javascript, CSS and ActionScript. I tried to post at the bidding site like getAFreelancer.com but the competetion is really heavy specially if you don't have a feedback yet...

Please help!!! Thank You So Much!!!

filprogrammer, Mar 11, 2007 IP
  2. Glimjaur

Glimjaur Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, either you try to get jobs on freelancing sites like;

www dot getacoder dot com
    www dot getafreelancer dot com
    www dot .elance dot com
    www dot rentacoder dot com
    www dot odesk dot com
    Those were the ones that i could easily find within one minute of looking, i am sure that you can find lots of more sites if you look.

I would also recommend creating a personal webpage, or a site for your personal "company" where you can showcase dummy sites that you have created.

Submit site designs to open source design sites if you are into designing, do whatever you need to get coverage. You'r imagination is your limitation!

Glimjaur, Mar 12, 2007 IP
  3. MattD

MattD Peon

Best Answers:
    If you really want to go right into freelancing right out of school I'd say look around your real-world network of friends and the local community and see if any of those have any work you could do for them, perhaps at a lower price than you'd like just to get some work under your belt to use as a portfolio. Local community groups or small family-run businesses are ideal people to target for this sort of thing.

Personally if I were you, I would look to get a job or even an internship at a company working in the web development area before you start freelancing so you can gain the vital experience you'll need in a "safer" environment and learn from those who have been professionals in this area for some time already. Remember - its not just about doing the technical work but there is a lot to know about business in general, particularly for freelance work where you'll most likely need liability insurance, umbrella companies, proper accountancy facilities etc etc

MattD, Mar 12, 2007 IP
  4. ccoonen

ccoonen Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Word of mouth is the best advertising... if someone hears that you did a good job for them - it will most likely be a sale for you. Keep your quality and speed strong and the business will come. As for where to find it - this forum is a good start :) People request developers services daily so just comb the threads and you'll find some gold for sure!

ccoonen, Mar 12, 2007 IP
  5. ErectADirectory

ErectADirectory Guest

Best Answers:
    3 replys and already tons of good advice for you filprogrammer

Glimjaur - open up shop. It does not have to be a webpage, but could be a blog, wiki or even your dp profile page. You do need a place to do business so customers can be referred there.

MattD says take it slow, I agree. It sucks to be in charge when the shit hits the fan. Been there, done that.

ccoonen says word of mouth. Classic answer but very, very true. But make it "he's a quality programmer" not "he's the cheapest on the block"

My favorite
    Glimjaur - Submit site designs to open source design sites if you are into designing, do whatever you need to get coverage.

OSWD.org and www.openwebdesign.org would be a great place to start if you are into CSS. No cost involved and your templates are used by actual web sites and posted at a very respected design hub. Tons of potential backlinks to your new web front.

It sounds as though you are a programmer at heart so I'm going to refer you to sourceforge.net. This would be an awesome place to hang around and find a project to help out on and learn from some seasoned vets.

If you can't find anyone willing to show you the ropesthere, send me over a PM and I'll tell you about a project I'm about to move forward with that could be great for your learning curve and give you some creditability. It's open source, so no profit, but great experience.

Unfortunately you are finding out about the "hazing" that goes on with rookie programmers. You know what to do but no one takes you seriously. It took me a few years of taking some crappy jobs before I started earning enough to work in my PJ's at home, but I did it and love life because of it.

Aside from all the advice above, the most important thing I can tell you is don't sell yourself short. There is always someone willing to do inferior work at a cheaper price. Don't fall prey to this as it seems (by your wide scope of talents) that you know what you are doing. If it's experience you want, don't do $1000 worth of work for $50. Spend that time and make a personal project that will be with you for years.

gl

ErectADirectory, Mar 12, 2007 IP
  6. filprogrammer

filprogrammer Peon

Best Answers:
    As I browsed the forum I was very happy to find replies... You know guys I understand all your advice but I can't do it.

I have been an advocate of the open source community but I just can't offer my help because I don't have that funds for a project development.

The only thing I have now is my personal computer which my sister gave me just last year. I'm from the Philippines, and I hope you understand the status quo here. I am very lucky cause I made it almost four years as a computer science student.

The curriculum here in the philippines is not that excellent compared to other countries but I tried my best to equipped myself with a competetive knowledge by reading books that I get from a file sharing community cuase I can't afford to purchase one.

For now I can't help the open source community. However, I am reserving a very special project in the future in case I have that enough funds to work for it. That I promise. It's actually some sort of a membership software...

Anyways, now I've been looking for someone who could trust me and pay me after I served them. However, if they are not satisfied with my work, they have all the option to back-up.

If you take a risk to trust me even once please feel free to pm me....

Thank You so much for the reply..... I appreciate it a lot

filprogrammer, Mar 12, 2007 IP
  7. MattD

MattD Peon

Best Answers:
    You do not need any significant funds to begin developing in open source software. You can help out in existing projects just be offering your time, or if you want to start your own you can get places like SourceForge to host all of the files and offer development tools like CVS etc for free. An internet connection and a computer - and the enthusiasm to do it of course! - is really all you need! :)

As for learning more it might be worth trying to make things yourself just for learning's sake. Books are fine, but for me nothing beats actually doing something for learning. For example you could try creating some basic copies of various things just to get a feel for how things are done - e.g. a basic version of Digg/Reddit (i.e. story voting), a simple picture gallery, perhaps a basic blog system - dont aim for the same level of functionality and quality as the real ones: the point is here you learn the fundamental concepts about how things are done. Once you've learnt the fundamentals you can broaden your horizons and look for a greater challenge.

Oh and incidentally the open source web design sites are great - I've had a lot of exposure using those (an open source CMS system is looking to use a couple of templates of mine as pre-packaged defaults for example). Good exposure for only a few hours work at zero cost!

MattD, Mar 13, 2007 IP
  8. filprogrammer

filprogrammer Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Matt, I'll try your advice!!!
    Thank You So Much...

filprogrammer, Mar 13, 2007 IP
  9. contactsonia

contactsonia Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, these places are very competitive. I would suggest you to keep participating in freelancing sites. It will be hard to get your first 2-3 projects but when you have some reviews than you will start getting new projects.

Moreover, you can mentioned the review link in your CV also which will be added advantage when you go for permanent job :)

contactsonia, Mar 14, 2007 IP
  10. filprogrammer

filprogrammer Peon

Best Answers:
    Some friend bought a good domain name and wants me to develop it. Any suggestions on the concept. The name of the site www.philippineprogrammers.com...

Thanks ....

filprogrammer, Mar 15, 2007 IP
  11. serjio28

serjio28 Peon

Best Answers:
    www dot scriptlance dot com

serjio28, Mar 15, 2007 IP
  12. designcode

designcode Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    These freelance websites are no good, people from countries with low currency rates, bids so low. Also competition is very tough there, so I will recommend you to remain away from those websites.

Post your services on good forums like DP and Sitepoint.com. Make sure that you are posting on right forum. This thing can get you some freelance work. Also make a website with your portfolio, so that you can attract peoples.

Hope this helps.

designcode, Mar 16, 2007 IP
  13. filprogrammer

filprogrammer Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi design code.... thats what I'm doing right now and that seems to be successful. Thanks anyway designcode, how can I be an addition to your reputation? lolz

filprogrammer, Mar 17, 2007 IP
  14. filprogrammer

filprogrammer Peon

Best Answers:
    I have also an appeal to microsoft designcode....lolz... while you appeal to stop making craps like IE ... I appeal to microsoft to stop making crops like XP.... I have lots of virus...lolz

filprogrammer, Mar 17, 2007 IP
  15. Aragorn

Aragorn Peon

Best Answers:
    You can also try your luck here at DP. In the services section of BST you can post your availability as a programmer. It is always better to provide some sites you have created as it increases your credibility. In the beginning don't run after money, do projects at low rate, if your client likes your work he will definitely pay you more.

All the best to you

Aragorn, Mar 18, 2007 IP
  16. designcode

designcode Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hey filprogrammer, you are right, Windows sucks when it comes to viruses and other such stuff.

Anyways keep trying, start with lower prices at first. Once you have big portfolio and many clients then you can increase your rates as suggested by Aragorn.

Peace
    designcode

designcode, Mar 18, 2007 IP
  17. Oriane

Oriane Peon

Best Answers:
    I would advice going with the word of mouth, mention at every possible occasion that you're freelancing and have business cards ready. And don't forget to follow-up if some people look really interrested! Few people will give you something on the first try.

Oriane, Mar 18, 2007 IP
  18. filprogrammer

filprogrammer Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Thanks to all of you guys,

I have couple of clients now. But one client is about 90% web design and I have extracted all the possible creativity within me..lolz. But I like the other one because it's more on ajax and php...

I owe this all to you guys...

ANyways, Watch out cause I think I'm going to start developing an open source membership software like amember or visiongate and I will implement it in ajax with an ajax driven website as a result.

Hope I will be successful with this one. Anybody can extend there suggestions if you have some knowledge on membership softwares...

Thanks

filprogrammer, Mar 20, 2007 IP
  19. computerconsultant

computerconsultant Peon

Best Answers:
    To start a freelancing job is a easy one, these days. But, we need to check and visit the freelance portals, from where you will get the projects related to your subject.

computerconsultant, Aug 9, 2010 IP