1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Looking to build a list of Directories that only have unique content

Discussion in 'Directories' started by ! Ask !, Feb 20, 2007.

1. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    sarahk, Feb 22, 2007 IP
  2. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'll take that for 2 months. Please send info. :D

popotalk, Feb 22, 2007 IP
  3. ErectADirectory

ErectADirectory Guest

Best Answers:
    I really wanted to just let this battlefield of a thread die, but I couldn't let this go without giving my thoughts for the benefit of directory owners across the globe.

I'm not going to poke fun of the state of the economy in other parts of the world. I am fortunate to live in America, though I not rich like Bill Gates. 3 US Dollar = 132.782 Indian Rupee. That does not mean much to me so to fulfill my curiosity, what can that buy you? Groceries for a month or a burger at McDonalds?

I don't do short term anything, and I'm not starving right now, but selling links at PR0 makes no sense to me. Here is what would happen...

You sell 10 site wide links for $3 each and yes, you get $30USD, but here is what you lose. Your future PR bleeds to their pages. I am not against links, but I am against shooting myself in my foot. If you sell 10 links @ PR0 while you are out getting 1000 backlinks you will end up with a PR2-3 after your first update instead of getting PR4-5. Why? Because your PR got transferred to the sites you sold links to. You are actually getting ripped off in the long run.

The moral of my story is . . . Trade links if you want but DO NOT sell yourself short. If your blood, sweat and tears are being poured into your directory DO NOT flush your money down the toilet. You will regret it down the road.

If you have already sold links on your sites HONOR your agreements and give your advertisers special considerations in the future because they were there when your journey started.

ErectADirectory, Feb 22, 2007 IP
    jhnrang likes this.
  4. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 7 (7 members and 0 guests)
    britishguy, banless, ErectADirectory, iceberg, kemptons, malcolm1, vnviews

Whats happened all these folks on here did someone
    'ring the bell for the start of Round 2'

britishguy, Feb 22, 2007 IP
  5. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    ErectADirectory

Well said indeed... I wont complain being the other guy as king and sleek are now on some sites that were very cheap at the time and now sitting on PR5-6s...Never the less the deal was made and they have to obide by thier agreement.
    One should always look at what my come before them and while i sell sitewides most are set up on 3 month terms then if google takes care of my sites PR i can redo contracts and set new pricing accordingly.

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Feb 22, 2007 IP
  6. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks not true. Dump got a 5 and bleeds inside and outside

matter o' fact, PR4 4 levels deep http://www.directorydump.com/internet/directories/paid/

an0n, Feb 22, 2007 IP
  7. ErectADirectory

ErectADirectory Guest

Best Answers:
    You've got 113,000 Y! backlinks I stated 1,000.

So which part isn't true? That outbound links don't bleed PR or that I quoted bad numbers? The point of the post is don't sell yourself, or your directory, short. Surely you don't think that is a good idea do you?

ErectADirectory, Feb 22, 2007 IP
  8. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with you in not selling yourself short. A directory will be only what the owner puts into it.

Now with regards to the backlinks, I have a few PR5's that have maybe a hundred backlinks one had only 8, so I would have to disagree with you on the # of backlinks issue. Gaygle and its PR is somewhat of a mystery.

an0n, Feb 22, 2007 IP
  9. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with that--thats great way of putting it accross of selling how to sell sitewide links. I mostly want to trade links ( linked my own sites and traded with a forum that is equal to mine in PR value:D )--and currently not selling them--but if need arises--I'll sell when if I have good PR by April:D

jhnrang, Feb 23, 2007 IP
  10. ! Ask !

! Ask ! Peon

Best Answers:
  11. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    sarahk, Feb 23, 2007 IP
  12. iceberg

iceberg Notable Member

Best Answers:
    iceberg, Feb 23, 2007 IP
  13. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    malcolm1, Feb 23, 2007 IP
  14. ! Ask !

! Ask ! Peon

Best Answers:
    PM Sent..

I am listing based on new entries, as owner explained older free listings are not original, but if you see new listings pass the test, the “latest” page passed the test.

The idea of the resource is for the submitter to know the directories that will guarantee that your listing and all subsequent listings are unique.

Older listings at BestDirs also don’t pass, but looks like the owner is re-writing it.

! Ask !, Feb 23, 2007 IP
  15. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the reminder - there are some early featured listings also that were approved as submitted. I guess I have some work to do this week-end. ;)

CReed, Feb 23, 2007 IP
  16. Obelia

Obelia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Copyscape is a bit of a blunt tool for this job. It tends to flag up pages even if they have only a small amount of duplicated text.

Personally I often rewrite descriptions, as well as adding listings on my own. But not absolutely every time, and I don't plan to do this in the foreseeable future. So long as you're not importing a database of sites as-is from elsewhere, a fair percentage of the listings are rewritten and they are different listings from other directories (doesn't everyone have slightly different guidelines and standards for what constitutes a good site?), then it's not duplication.

I can see some directories falling foul of tighter duplicate content penalties in future. If you keep all the listings in the same order as everyone else (by PR or alphabetical), add all listings without modifying the text or titles, use a common script, and import a common category structure, then this could definitely be a problem.

Obelia, Feb 24, 2007 IP
    ! Ask ! likes this.
  17. ! Ask !

! Ask ! Peon

Best Answers:
    Glad to see that not all think that the “unique content” is bull-shit, and people are going the extra mile and rewriting the descriptions.

New Additions to the list:
    General
    www.trincas.org
    Niche
    www.top100vbulletin.com

! Ask !, Feb 25, 2007 IP
  18. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Just out of curiosity-- I checked my directories:rolleyes: and found one has 5/the other has 2 duplicate contents (has 2 default phpLD mods -:( message) Just one thing for sure--they are not yet big and strong:p I won't change the contents though:)

jhnrang, Feb 25, 2007 IP
  19. ! Ask !

! Ask ! Peon

Best Answers:
    ! Ask !, Feb 28, 2007 IP
  20. wwws

wwws Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If your going by what the CopyScape is going by, the www.searchtified.com has past it's test, unless i'm missing something.

wwws, Feb 28, 2007 IP