1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

7 Quick Tips on Buying a New Domain

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Jerlene.net, Feb 21, 2007.

I got an interesting e-mail tonight that I thought I would share with DP. I thought this section would be the most appropriate but if it's not, please move it.

1. Never pay more than $5.99 for .com, .net, .org and .info domains.
    In the aftermarket, domains can be affordable or pricey depending on the seller or how badly you want the domain. If your registrar allows you to buy a domain though an affiliate link, even better, though there may be a limit as to what’s permitted. For new domains, you should never have to pay a lot. Beware of extra fees, like ICANN fees, setup costs, etc.

2. Choose a registrar that offers free domain privacy.
    Domain privacy allows you to use a special email address for receiving emails when someone looks up your domain's public Whois information. Most emails received from this public information tend to be Spam. Protecting the email address associated with your domain, helps you clearly identify and rid yourself of Whois Spam. It used to cost $10 or more per year to get private domain registration. Today, you can obtain it for free.

3. Pick a registrar that offers free email with the domain.
    Even if you just want to later sell the domain, you might want an email address for people to send inquiries to. Some registrars either don't offer an associated email account, or have small storage limit.

4. Set your domains to 'Auto-renew'.
    Many registrars allow you to do this. This will help avoid loosing that perfect domain if you forget about your renewal date.

5. Watch for ALL emails from your registrar.
    Conveniently, registrars send out emails when your domain renewal is pending. Make sure your registrar's emails are "white-listed" and that you pay attention to them. You don't want to miss a problem or issue with your billing information.

6. Protect your existing domains.
    Protect your domains by securing those related to it, like typo variations and other top level domain extensions like .net, .org, and .biz

7. Monetize your domains!
    You have basically only a few options to make money with your domains. You should carefully consider and test each one.

a.) Parking domains -earn by sharing the click revenue of ads shown on your parked page. Sedo.com is an excellent resource for this.

b.) Sell your domains -earn by setting a price, accepting offers on it, or auctioning it off. Again, Sedo.com is an excellent site for this.

c.) Build a website; create Virtual Real Estate -by doing this you can sell products, information, run ads, or generate your own sales leads. Of course, this can be a bit more expensive and time consuming, but it can also be the most profitable option.

d.) Redirect domains to an affiliate program -if people type or mistype your domain, they will land on another site from which you can earn revenue.

Domains are cheap, and can be profitable depending on what you do with them. The above steps should give you some ideas how to get the most when buying a new domain, and what to do with it.

[Source= By Joshua Sloan, Director Online Marketing, 1&1 Internet, Inc.]

Jerlene.net, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  2. Gnet

Gnet Peon

Best Answers:
    No offense thats mostly a load of BS
    The best way to have a good online business is just development and management skills almost everyone here knows that.

Im not surprised since its released by 1&1 that article is a publicity stunt of a kind so that people buy from them most of the features they offer are up there..

Gnet, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  3. Romanos

Romanos Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's BS unless you want to register at crappy registrars like Yahoo.

BS again. You mean use crappy registrars again?

Who cares about free emails? This has nothing to do with domains.

No, nobody prefers auto-renew.

Watch for more "special offer" spams? ;)

That doesn't mean secure. Nobody will type .net .org or .biz instead of a .com

Wow! Park / Develop / Etc Wow! Isn't that the point of domain names?

No wonder it's by 1&1... the worst registrar.

Romanos, Feb 21, 2007 IP
    Snout likes this.
  4. TopDraw

TopDraw Active Member

Best Answers:
    My comment on this is if you always on the lookout for cheaper and cheaper, you would quite possible have problems later on. I believe ICANN charges registrars $6.00 alone for a domain registration. So if you buy a domain for $6.00 or less...it means your registrar is not making any profit or will make up for it somewhere else..Good point to note is Registerfly who had financial problems, probably due to selling domains so cheaply.

TopDraw, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  5. MakeThatDollar

MakeThatDollar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I would like to thank you for your post that you made here.

MakeThatDollar, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  6. Jerlene.net

Jerlene.net Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Namecheap is a good domain host and they offer whois guard for free.

7. movingconcierge

movingconcierge Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You'll thank me for this 1and1.com link.

If you think that reading through 100's of testimonials from people screwed by 1and1.com is a waste of time then imagine how bad you'll feel when you spend months sorting out your bank account, credit rating, and domain names when 1and1.com locks you out of your account.

1and1.com is the worst internet company, ever. They rely on newbies who get lulled in their web of lies.

movingconcierge, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  8. Jerlene.net

Jerlene.net Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    This isn't about 1&1. This is about purchasing domains. The author of the article just happens to be from 1&1. I don't know why it's so hard for people to understand such simple things.

9. movingconcierge

Best Answers:
    I understand you put out 1and1.com propaganda. If you were just trying to educate, then thanks. But the info provided is either self-serving or just obvious.

That's simple. It's no wonder they recommend Sedo for sales and parking as 1&1 is a 41% partner in Sedo.

movingconcierge, Feb 21, 2007 IP
    mcfox likes this.
  10. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Yes, I'll thank you for the link to the Namepros thread about how 1&1 SUCK.

I would also direct any DP'ers to this thread on DP about how 1and1 SUCK.

I hate them and think they are a despicable company.

mcfox, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  11. domnom

domnom Peon

Best Answers:
    The tips above are blended with crap and fair suggestions
    1. false
    2. good but not required
    3. not needed
    4. not needed if you are responsible with your domains
    5. true
    6. true for a big business, common logic for everything else
    7. logical

domnom, Feb 22, 2007 IP
  12. movingconcierge

Best Answers:
    I FINALLY DID IT! I KILLED MY 1AND1.COM ACCOUNT!

I had three names that they held hostage and I had to pay a ransom on late last year. (The details are on my NP thread if anyone is really interested) The names kind of sucked anyway so I just cancelled the names and the package! I AM DONE WITH THESE GUYS!

Of course I learned from my earlier mistakes and did this seven months early AND took screen shots with the official US date and time site overlayed on the 1and1.com screens. Plus, my CC is way expired. No way to charge me again.

~~Good Bye 1and1.com aka 1&1 Internet Services, Inc.~~ You Suck!
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

movingconcierge, Feb 23, 2007 IP
  13. luukmuu

luukmuu Active Member

Best Answers:
    1and1 is Devil........THey are the thieves.......they stole my 3 domains ...sucks :mad::mad:

luukmuu, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  14. mr.hitman

mr.hitman Banned

Best Answers:
    1and1.com sucks i think namecheap and godaddy are the best!

mr.hitman, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  15. save

save Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm afraid there are lots of things I don't agree with in the original article as Romanos pointed out...

save, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  16. ttdomain

ttdomain Peon

Best Answers:
    NEVER EVER with 1and1 ! - they are the worst customer service provider in the world, same gos for Yahoo domains

ttdomain, Jan 28, 2008 IP