1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Spin-off site, which is best? Subdomain, Subdirectory, or New Domain?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by BuenosAires, Feb 16, 2007.

I have a well trusted (by Google) domain, and I want to create a spin-off site on a different topic that is still very closely related, linked quite heavily from the current domain. Which of the following is best for carrying link authority and trust over from the current domain to the new spin-off site?

1. SUBDOMAIN: spinoff.currentsite.com

2. SUBDIRECTORY: currentsite.com/spinoff

3. NEW DOMAIN: spinoff.com (heavily linked from currentsite.com)

Basically, I am looking for a shortcut for giving my spin-off site the best start possible, from an SEO standpoint. What do you think is best? Or do you have any other suggestions?

(Before I was thinking about combining no. 1 or 2 with no. 3 and some kind of redirect, but people seem to be advising against that)

Thanks! All advice greatfully appreciated and rep will of course be given for good answers!

BuenosAires, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  2. stickycarrots

stickycarrots Peon

Best Answers:
    I would go with the whole new domain.

stickycarrots, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  3. BuenosAires

BuenosAires Peon

Best Answers:
    Any reason why? Wouldn't that give it the least leverage off my current domain?

4. ShiftChip

ShiftChip Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In SEO terms theres no real diffrence in a whole new domain vs a subdomain really.
    So if you got the extra money buy a new domain.

ShiftChip, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  5. BuenosAires

BuenosAires Peon

Best Answers:
    what about the difference between a subdomain and a subdirectory, from a ranking quickly point of view? that is what i am most interested in :)

6. bubba

bubba Active Member

Best Answers:
    Your links are your leverage. If content is duplicate or real close to it,

advoid problems from google (take this from someone that has been there),

Your best bet is a new domain on a different host with different ip address.

Hope this is hellpful.

bubba, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  7. BuenosAires

BuenosAires Peon

Best Answers:
    no, the content would not be anywhere near duplicate.

basically, to use an analogy, it would be like having a website about oranges, and then starting a spin-off about all citrus fruit - lemons, limes, oranges etc... very closely related, but not duplicate.

i can't see how starting a whole new domain would be best for that. for me, it has to be a choice between subdomain and subdirectory... i only put new domain in there as an afterthought!

8. Searchnology.com

Searchnology.com Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are not willing to go with a separate domain then scratch the sub-domain as well. As it has already been said, they are the same thing. Your default choice then is the sub directory.

Searchnology.com, Feb 16, 2007 IP
    BuenosAires likes this.
  9. Ardrigh

Ardrigh Peon

Best Answers:
    The advantage of having a subdirectory to your site is the additional content. In SEO, this is beneficial for your site because search engine spiders do love fresh content. Thus, your site will be frequently visited by them and indexed which is a good thing.

On the other hand, subdomain is considered as another site by search engines. The good thing about having a subdomain, especially with a related content, is that you can gain some valuable links by exchanging between the two. Links with related sites are very useful in SEO. But in terms of content, your effort of creating a fresh content to be browsed by a spider is divided into two.

So Which One Is Better?
    Not all sites are created equal, and as with offline business, each site has its own goals and priorities. Great rankings are much more about site content than site structure — although the latter is still important in terms of usability. If you stick to a long-term plan of building great content and sourcing some great inbound links, all things being equal, it won’t make much difference whether you have a sub domain or a folder structure.
    If you go with a folder structure, be sure to build up substantial content and have useful and important inbound links back to your site. If you have loads of content and good branding reasons for treating each section as a separate entity, then sub domains may be the best way to go. However, there is a lot more work involved if and when you decide to add a new section — it’s not as simple as adding another folder.

Good luck!

Ardrigh, Feb 17, 2007 IP
    BuenosAires likes this.
  10. BuenosAires

BuenosAires Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the advice Searchnology.com and Ardrigh (rep added).

I think I will go for the subdirectory option for now, because the theme of the spin-off is so very closely related to my current site theme, and i want to get the spin-off off the gorund quickly... it seems that new domain or subdomain are both basically starting from scratch.

if the spin-off starts to get big later on and needs stronger branding away from my current site, i can always get a new domain and do a permanent 301 redirect there from the subdirectory. i guess that should work.

BuenosAires, Feb 17, 2007 IP