1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Quality Score Column

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by Rapesco, Feb 16, 2007.

I have just turned on the quality score column in Adwords which I am not sure how much it will tell me but better than nothing. Some issues have arisen only after a few minutes of using it. On of my keywords that drives most traffic, is what the site is about and converts well has just been given a "poor" quality score by Google forcing me to increase my minimum bid, unlike before where the bid had be increased to £2.50 which was high enough has been increased to £5!!!! double the previous poor quality price. Has any one else had this problem? I can see the potential gain that having the quality score can have but having a highly relevant keyword set to £5 is just outrageous!

What are other peoples thoughts do you think its a good change? or have you had some problems like described above?

Rapesco, Feb 16, 2007 IP
    GuyFromChicago likes this.
  2. marcowitsch

marcowitsch Guest

Best Answers:
    I've had lots of keywords deactivated, lot's are still ok...

But what makes we wonder about this change, even some of my keywords that are REALLY targeted and have an ctr of 100% !!! over weeks, are now deactivated with an minimum bid of $10.00 ... yeah Google :rolleyes:
    P.S And all my keywords go to an landingpage containing the actual keywords etc...

marcowitsch, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  3. Rapesco

Rapesco Peon

Best Answers:
    The only thing i can think of in my case must be the landing page. Thats seems very strange to deactivate keywords that have 100% CTR may be they have not looked at historical performance in this update and started from scratch?

Rapesco, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  4. marcowitsch

marcowitsch Guest

Best Answers:
    Really dunno... I just looked a bit more around and saw that they even ask me $1.00 for keywords that have ctr's of 5-25% while I'm on position 6-10...so really not that bad.

The campaign runs since 6 months and I always had minimum bids of 0.02-0.04 for 90% of my accounts keywords...

Other keywords that are not that targeted, now have an "Great" QS, while other 3-4 word phrases that are HIGHLY targeted have min. bids of 10.00.

I used the same selfwritten text on the landings since I started these campaigns and was never affected with any of the other QS updates.

All I can see is that Google Adwords leads to something where the advertisers of the same niche, get one set of keywords they can bid on, while all other keywords get deactivated. And Googlebot measures what is targeted and what's not, because we are stupid humans and don't know what our customers want... The Matrix exists!

marcowitsch, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  5. krct12

krct12 Peon

Best Answers:
    i see huge changes in one of my campaigns today, the main keywords of this campaign are deactivated and put to a $7 minimum bid (before it was $0.02...). seems google made some changes in their landing page quality algorithms again. that landing page is a one-pager while other campaigns that land on sites with several pages don't seem to be affected. has anyone noticed similar effects?

krct12, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  6. Rapesco

Rapesco Peon

Best Answers:
    All campaigns i run have a few pages to each site, so cant comment on your situation. Google Adbot can crawl through different pages though its on the Website which could be affecting things?

Rapesco, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  7. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Actually this is Google way of punishing amateur marketers, spammers and low quality ads, and rewarding high quality publishers and experienced marketers.

I am a little shocked at the 50% bump for the OPs prices ..:eek:

You can read more about it on my blog http://www.mediaviper.com/

Sem-Advance, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  8. Rapesco

Rapesco Peon

Best Answers:
    Some times there is only so much you can do if managing campaigns for clients! You can make recommendations about landing page but they normally don't do anything about it or have not got the skills in house to alter pages. I dont think its Punishing people, they are just trying to filter out crap keyword/ads and make people think more about what they write in adverts and keywords picked.

Rapesco, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  9. Scotia King

Scotia King Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It also seems to be punishing anyone that bids on keyword misspellings - I just had hundreds of keywords disabled, and they were all misspellings..

Scotia King, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  10. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This is true client management is a bear to rekon with...however in a way this helps you as a firm improve your quality of client..knowing the cheapo clients and the wishful thinkers would not fare well you raise your standards in client selection which in the long run helps you maintain your sanity.

You can thank the hype marketers for misleading you as to what you should do. For over two years I have argued with my clients in chasing these as when you misspell and land on a Google page it asks you if you meant the correct spelling.

In trying to avoid spam consumers are apt to click to the correct spelling and then clicking a paid ad from there.

Also in trying to improve peoples literacy rates... rewarding advertisers for marketing with misspellings only seems somewhat logical.

Also look at the flip side of the coin...improving your ads will bring better positions at a cheaper cost than that of your competitor.

Peace

Sem-Advance, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  11. Pixel Concepts

Pixel Concepts Peon

Best Answers:
    Google is definitely dropping the hammer.. just had a whole bunch of keywords go to $10.00, even though they are highly targeted

Pixel Concepts, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  12. Rapesco

Rapesco Peon

Best Answers:
    Whats the landing and surrounding pages like quality wise?

Rapesco, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  13. zaya24

zaya24 Peon

Best Answers:
    I noticed a lot of misspelled keywords that aren't in the ad and/or the landing page now have minimum bids of 4 0r 8 €.

zaya24, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  14. amoeba22

amoeba22 Peon

Best Answers:
    yea wtf.. i got slapped with a $10 min bid as well. all my keywords are on my landing page. it is also has 5 pages so WTF!!!!

amoeba22, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  15. krct12

krct12 Peon

Best Answers:
    i got slapped with 5$ / 10$ min bids on another landing site which also consists of several pages and is highly relevant. trying to find out what triggers it...

krct12, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  16. sebastianrs

sebastianrs Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm affected too. Hopefully, this issue gets revealed soon.

sebastianrs, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  17. ghoti

ghoti Peon

Best Answers:
    Me too...the scores are a little puzzling. For example, I have a landing page for "WidgetMate Plus 9000" and "WidgetMate Supreme 9000"...this is what some of the quality scores look like in the ad group for WidgetMate Plus 9000:
    1. Discount WidgetMate Plus = Poor, $1.10 min bid
    2. Discount WidgetMate Plus 9000 = Great, $0.03 min bid
    3. Discount WidgetMate 9000 = Great, $0.04 min bid
    4. Discount WidgetMate = Great, $0.01 min bid

(In terms of traffic, the first three get very little and the last one gets a lot more. #1 has a 75% CTR, #4 has a 13% CTR.)

What's puzzling there is that #3 is no more or less targeted than #1, and #4 is even broader than #1, and yet #1 is the one with the poor quality score.

ghoti, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  18. sarathy

sarathy Peon

Best Answers:
    SEARCH GIANT GOOGLE NEXT WEEK will change its methods for calculating advertisers' quality scores, which the company uses to determine marketers' minimum bids as well as ad placement.

In a bid to give marketers more insight into its workings--which advertisers often criticize as too mysterious--Google will make available data on minimum bids of all keywords within ad groups, and will rate marketers' proposed keywords as "great," "ok" or "poor."

Google said the changes "will improve the overall quality of ads that we serve by lowering minimum bids for high quality ads and raising minimum bids for low quality ads," in a post on the Inside AdWords blog. "We expect that the higher minimum bids for low quality ads will reduce the number of low quality ads we show to our users."

Chris Copeland, CEO of Outrider, said that the marketers most likely to be hurt by the changes are the ones who purchase the most generic terms, because Google tends to consider such keywords low-quality. He added that while the move provides some additional transparency, more sophisticated advertisers could figure out their ads' quality scores prior to the update. "I don't think it adds too much information," he said.

http://publications.mediapost.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.san&s=55639&Nid=27528&p=320824

=====
    Neone experienced an increase in MINImum bid?., I had faced it on some of my keywords :(

sarathy, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  19. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    They announced this already at the AdWords blog...nothing else to "reveal".

If you got hit with high minimum bids your QS needs work, plain and simple.

I am seeing some interesting things so far. Here's a snippet of what I posted this morning at my blog:

The coming days & weeks will be interesting in AdWords land:)

GuyFromChicago, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  20. Rapesco

Rapesco Peon

Best Answers:
    Not necessarily true!! i just had a reply from Google about poor quality score for good quality keywords this was the reply:

Unfortunately, due to a technical issue, you may notice that the minimum
    bids for some of your keywords increased dramatically, despite them being
    high performing, good quality keywords. This is a temporary issue that our
    engineers are aware of and they are working to resolve it as soon as
    possible. I am sorry for any inconvenience.

So its not all doom and gloom, hopefully they should sort it soon. ;)

Rapesco, Feb 16, 2007 IP