1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

google should penalize wikipedia

Discussion in 'Google' started by silent10, Feb 11, 2007.

1. fi5hbone

fi5hbone Peon

Best Answers:
    Topic 23? And to my knowledge, they do allow authors to cite their sources.

fi5hbone, Feb 15, 2007 IP
  2. Kaptain Kangaroo

Kaptain Kangaroo Peon

Best Answers:
    This is just sweet. Way to go Wikipediduh :D

Kaptain Kangaroo, Feb 15, 2007 IP
  3. FreeKill

FreeKill Peon

Best Answers:
    Wikipedia already keeps a full tracking history of user contributions to the site, complete with username of the person who did the work. How hard would it be to give a url linkout to anyone who contributed work that was still available on the page?

Answer: not hard at all.

It's one thing to stop spammers, but I would wager that wikipedia contributions go way down as a result of this decision. It's nice to have a site that relies on a community to make it better, but to never give anything back in return is pretty poor form.

FreeKill, Feb 15, 2007 IP
  4. AZhitman

AZhitman Active Member

Best Answers:
    Nope.

Click the link I provided, then in the table of contents, go to discussion # 23.

I think I was pretty reasonable, now they can't even agree amongst themselves as to what to do.

AZhitman, Feb 15, 2007 IP
  5. geni

geni Peon

Best Answers:
    German Wikipedia has had no follow forever. Doesn't appear to have hurt it. Quality is often thought to be higher as well.

geni, Feb 15, 2007 IP
  6. fi5hbone

fi5hbone Peon

Best Answers:
    Like I said, not all contributors are webmasters. There are still people out there who believe in the cause and will continue contributing.

I would wager against you that Wikipedia contributions will not go down. There are people who believe in philanthropy or giving without expecting anything in return. Might be silly for those who are obsessed about making money but without these people, the obsessed would have no money to make. (imagine if everyone owns adsense and doesn't wanna click on someone else's ads, no one will be clicking on ads).

7. fi5hbone

fi5hbone Peon

Best Answers:
    AZHitman,

Nposs seems to have hit the nail on the head. He pointed to one of the links that he removed from your articles, basically a link to your main home page. And true enough, there was no content on your main page.

However, you say that the content can be found on your static pages, and so why not link to your static page? If you link to a page of content which you referenced from to write your article, I'm sure they would allow it.

In my opinion, the referencing works basically like any other academic material. When writing about a particular idea found in the book, you reference to that particular page and chapter. Referencing to the whole book is a big no no. It's not just about giving credit, but about giving your readers security and making sure they do not have to flip the whole book just to find out where you got your information from.

8. exponent

exponent Peon

Best Answers:
    Apparently you do need their links or you wouldnt be pissed off. So they deleted your links.. big deal.. anyone can edit wikipedia. Try your links again later.

Doing well? I'm happy for you... but to say that a site as useful to education as Wikipedia should wither and die is one sided / skewed. Its not a personal attack, just an observation. End of story.

exponent, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  9. minute

minute Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I can see where AZhitman is coming from. As a general rule you should never forget those who helped you rise to power.

minute, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  10. AZhitman

AZhitman Active Member

Best Answers:
    There's a one-sided statement as well.

fi5h - Yes, I was glad to see Nposs respond. So far, he's the only one who's made any sense (including "Miss Wiki Mouthpiece" on DP Forums)... I can live with his explanation.

At present, we're going to let this entire issue rest. We're no longer going to contribute over there, as the entire handling of the matter has left me soured on the experience.

There's quite a bit of misinformation, but then again, I have to remind myself that if you're educating yourself on a topic SOLELY via Wikipedia, you probably don't deserve to be completely well-informed anyway.

AZhitman, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  11. geni

geni Peon

Best Answers:
    That would be Slashdot initially

geni, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  12. fi5hbone

fi5hbone Peon

Best Answers:
    And you will be happy to know that no one relies SOLELY on Wikipedia. So I guess everyone does deserve to be completely well-informed.

fi5hbone, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  13. texasguy596

texasguy596 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you missed it, see Azhitman's follow-ups on the NICO Club vs. Wikipedia issue:
    • http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=250381
    • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:External_links#Disagreement_as_to_Wikipedia.27s_treatment_of_External_Links_.28in_this_instance.29.
    • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:External_links#NICO_Club.27s_additions_to_Wikipedia:_the_record

texasguy596, Feb 24, 2007 IP
  14. Briant

Briant Peon

Best Answers:
    You'd need to have moderators pre-approve postings on sites like that, to protect against violations.

Briant, Feb 24, 2007 IP
    gworld likes this.