1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ is it trademark?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by paidhosting, Feb 13, 2007.

Hello,
    Is dmoz trademark and any legal action be taken by dmoz for any site using dmoz in its domain name?

Regards

paidhosting, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  2. DPlurker

DPlurker Banned

Best Answers:
    You'll get definitive answers from AOL's legal department. Editors aren't authorized to answer such questions

DPlurker, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  3. gene

gene Peon

Best Answers:
    dmozsucks.com would probably be safe. And judging from this forum, well read. :D

gene, Feb 14, 2007 IP
  4. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    well i wanted to start something about dmoz with dmoz in the domain name not dmozsucks.com thats mean.

But something resourceful so i should be contacting who exactly?

paidhosting, Feb 14, 2007 IP
  5. DPlurker

DPlurker Banned

Best Answers:
    Google for AOL legal department . It seems to rank #1 for those keywords :) .

DPlurker, Feb 14, 2007 IP
  6. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    I keep getting RZ as #1. :D

Ivan Bajlo, Feb 14, 2007 IP
  7. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Simple reply would have been so much simpler i think.

Regards

8. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    From other forum i got this :

" It appears that dmoz.net is trying to emulate dmoz.org. dmoz.net is not registered to aol. I'm surprised aol did not trademark the name "dmoz". "

Hmm dmoz is not a trademark after all and i can use it. Plus it does not appear on http://www.uspto.gov/main/trademarks.htm

9. photofox

photofox Active Member

Best Answers:
  10. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    dude photofox did u read them, they are all relate to bulk spam. I see nothing about using dmoz, well atleast it does not exist in us trademarks database. plus there are 12 sites currently on sale with dmoz in it.

So i doubt dmoz is a trademark.

Butthanks for the efforts.

paidhosting, Feb 15, 2007 IP
  11. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    Paidhosting, you asked for a way to contact AOL Legal - photofox gave you a website that has a means of contacting AOL Legal on it. :)

lmocr, Feb 15, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  12. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks lmocr i thought he was pointing me to spam cases.

Regards

paidhosting, Feb 15, 2007 IP
  13. tigrrra

tigrrra Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    man its aol they have loads of money dont you think they should invest some money in designing that site lol i mean it looks like cra* :)

tigrrra, Feb 15, 2007 IP
  14. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You got only half right. You are right that DMOZ is not registered as trademark but they can always claim the first use. It will be a complicated case if they decide to do something about it but I hardly doubt that since they are not making any money on DMOZ, it is already dying and AOL has much bigger problems like losing market shares and money to care about this. On the other hand their claim about copyright on DMOZ category structure and content is just bogus and load of crap. ;)

gworld, Feb 15, 2007 IP
  15. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The US recognizes common law trademarks - they don't need to file for a Federal Registration to establish rights. Using DMOZ in a domain name that is similar in usage, or relates to "DMOZ" would certainly be trademark infringement. Whether or not they do anything, or take the domain, is anyone's guess. Without getting permission in writing, you are at risk.

mjewel, Feb 15, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  16. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Some editors aren't authorized to answer ANY questions. Many SHOULDN'T answer any questions. Some aren't actually authorized to do anything at all.

minstrel, Mar 1, 2007 IP
  17. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    From whom ?

Would I be Shot ? Would I be Imprisoned ? Would I be Mugged ? Would I be Slammed ?

C'mon dude. Maybe right now you or someone in your family is wearing a Levis made in my country or a Nike Shoes made in Hong Kong that was sent to New York and re-tagged.

When I was there all they could do is RED TAG the culprit who did not put a Backlink. :D

popotalk, Mar 1, 2007 IP
  18. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    They made a deal with Stained glass mafia, all there websites get in no question asked in return SGM takes care of anyone not giving credit to DMOZ and nobody ever finds there bodies - didn't you get suspicious about all those extra cleaning order you've been getting from Stained glass manufactures. :D

Ivan Bajlo, Mar 1, 2007 IP
  19. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Putting a backlink has NOTHING to do with trademark infringement. You are confused with the DMOZ terms for using their database, not using their trademark in a domain name. If you infringe upon any trademark, they can sue you for ALL revenue the site has ever generated plus damages and can certainly take your domain name. A Federal Registration also allows for treble legal fees.

As I said, I have no idea is DMOZ would enforce their trademark, but it a risk anyone who infringes upon a trademark takes. I'm not even a big fan of DMOZ, but that doesn't mean I'm going to say "go ahead, risk being sued" - that wasn't the question (perhaps you missed that).

As far as purchasing counterfeit goods, it is technically illegal and there are laws on the books that allow for prosecution for "possession of counterfeit goods" - and although I doubt a purchaser of a fake Rolex watch is going to have charges filed against them - there are many cases of hard prison time being given to the sellers of counterfeit goods.

Ignorance of trademark laws has cost many people a lot of money - even their homes - and I would suggest you read up on the consequences before you "insert foot in mouth" again.

mjewel, Mar 1, 2007 IP
  20. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    1. Original OP Question
    2. Hmm dmoz is not a trademark after all and i can use it. Plus it does not appear on http://www.uspto.gov/main/trademarks.htm
    3. Nice response. Thank you but I know Trademark Laws too with UnTrademark Laws.
    ;)

popotalk, Mar 1, 2007 IP