1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I added rel=nofollow tags on my resources page links and it went from pr5 to pr0

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by kianah, Feb 13, 2007.

Most of my links on the page are not linking back anymore...its been years since they were up. So i put in nofollow tags on all of them and i am going to go through them one by one and remove any nofollows that are indeed linking back.

So i checked out the page today and it is now PR0 - it was PR5

Do i need to have a certain percentage of proper outgoing links in order to maintain PR?

I thought if anything it would keep the PR from being leaked on that page.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

kianah, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  2. ISU

ISU Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yes, it what happens buddy, you see since you added that stuff to your website google suddenly got to know that you probably trying manupilate the PR, I think its the reason why your website went down..

ISU, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  3. kianah

kianah Peon

Best Answers:
    All of my other pages are fine, just the links page(s) went to pr0 - PR of course i still want to maintain on my site, i'm not super concerened about PR on those pages, i'm more concerned with ranking, and having a bunch of crappy non-reciprocating outgoing links probably hurts, right.

So is it a good trade off to take the loss of PR on those pages and at least not have a ton of junky outgoing links anymore?

Also, making all the links nofollow maybe set off a red flags to google that this page changed drastically, but if i wait a while shouldn't my other pages pass the pr again?

I really don't want to vouch for these junky outgoing links, i would like to just remove the resources pages altogether, i just dont want to hurt my rankings in the process and i guess these pages are looked at as being content, even if it is crappy content.

kianah, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  4. ISU

ISU Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes by making your links nonfollow you basicaly let them know that you are doing SEO and google treats webmasters as the enemy who do seo, it depends all on your field most of the time if it will hurt you abdly or if it will not hurt you at all, but I would avoid that stuff...
    Well if you are scared about junky links first of all you should get high quality links and when you would get a trust from google you could have bunch of junky links I think like 5 junky links are good per one quality link (I am not sure about it I need to check it)..So in the end its not very bad to have quality links with junky, when they are mixed up..you know what I mean?

ISU, Feb 13, 2007 IP
    kianah likes this.
  5. kianah

kianah Peon

Best Answers:
    hmmm. i guess i will remove all the nofollow tags and try to weed out the totally irrelevent links and keep some junky relevent ones. I'll sneak some of the high quality relevent competition links in there in not so obvious places (the #1, #2, and #3 ranked competition) so i dont take our customers to them. I've heard that it's a good idea, makes it look like you have a relationship with them.

Thanks for the advice bro...i'll give you rep.

kianah, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  6. login

login Notable Member

Best Answers:
    When you put the nofollow tag you show the world that you dont trust the links to be good. So why should Google trust you ?
    And you checked the url in a data center right ? not only in the browser bar ?

login, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  7. ISU

ISU Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yes right to the point!

ISU, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  8. rzvagelsky

rzvagelsky Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would get rid of any sites that are not linking back and even the junk. If you're going to place a nofollow on them, whats the point of even having them on the page? I would suggest getting rid of all the crap sites and starting from scratch. I assume you added those sites in the first place because you were just starting out and needed inbound links right?

rzvagelsky, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  9. kianah

kianah Peon

Best Answers:
    If i competely remove all of the links from a page and have a totally blank canvas the page will still keep its pr right?

I didnt add those links, the SEO company before me did, and i think they were using our site to help out their other clients. Man they sucked - they did things like this:

<!-- comments - keyword 1, keyword 2, keyword 3,keyword 1, keyword 2, keyword 3,keyword 1, keyword 2, keyword 3, -->

Anyway – for some reason the PR magically returned! I’m really surprised that it disappeared like that and then returned. Very strange. And yes i did check it in a data center. Thanks when i got concerned.

Google only does PR updates periodically right, but for some reason they removed my PR very quickly (I added the nofollow tags only 48 hours ago) and google respidered my site just 24 hours ago.

Maybe it was a shock to their algoristm that they pulled my PR until they could assess that I wasn’t doing any major trickery? I have noticed that google is getting very responsive lately. But i guess it could have just been a glitch.

kianah, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  10. rzvagelsky

rzvagelsky Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It probably was a glitch. The thing about link pages is this...the only links you will ever get pointed to them will be from other areas of the site. In this case, just leave them alone unless you are trying to sell links on them. I do the exact same thing and just keep a blank canvas in the case that I come across a site that is worth linking to.

Here is an example: http://www.planjam.com/comedyclub.html

I put that page up and have very few links pointing to it. By using a simple internal linking scheme (linked from Sitemap and one other page), I was able to get this page to a PR4 and the links page to a PR3. Notice how I don't have a single link on my Links page. Focus on quality links only and exchange with the best.

Will it keep PR? Well that depends on the pages linked to it. If you link it from an internal page with PR, expect that link page to typically earn a PR of one less.

rzvagelsky, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  11. rliddle

rliddle Peon

Best Answers:
    Based on some of the no follow logic here. Wikipedia and other sites would have big penalties and low PR.

I watched a competitor of mine put no follows on all of his links he went from #12 to #1 in his main key word in a few days. I watched closely, and that is the only think I could tell was different.

rliddle, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  12. Codythebest

Codythebest Notable Member

Best Answers:
    PR is meaningless. As you could see, you got from PR5 to PR0 in no time for a meta change. As you could go from PR0 to PR5 in no time for other reason.

I have a website for 12 years, always been PR0. I recently made a file (www.mysite.com/myfile) with an index page. It got PR3 in 2 days. Never advertized, no links whatsoever, no nothing. Just testing some css and php code like date and include....PR = BS

Codythebest, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  13. askcybersteve

askcybersteve Guest

Best Answers:
    You will probably find that the point of time that you opened the page that it drew the PR from some random Data Centre that didnt update properly. Use one of the tools that shows PR accross all the datacenters and I bet you will find 1 or 2 that have PR0.

It's my guess that you got lucky and just happened to be viewing results from the rouge data center.

Hope that Helps.

askcybersteve, Feb 13, 2007 IP