1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Removed Google Site maps and page count goes up

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by swapshop, Jun 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you 1 script...

You are correct, and i apologize if i confused anyone... what i ment is that you only need 1 sitemap per site providing their isnt a million pages. The sitemap should be on the index page only as thier is no need for more.
    BUT thier is a limit to how many "sitemaps" your website may contain. I belive that the number is 200, and unless you are google,yahoo,or myspace.. or major site their is no need to have more than 1 sitemap per site.

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Jan 8, 2007 IP
  2. olti

olti Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This can not be true :eek:

olti, Jan 9, 2007 IP
  3. jlryan

jlryan Peon

Best Answers:
    I recently removed my site from Google sitemaps because all my pages were removed from the Google index. I feel numb... not sure what to do.

jlryan, Jan 13, 2007 IP
  4. manojsadh

manojsadh Banned

Best Answers:
    how i use site map with the help of google

manojsadh, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  5. Timby

Timby Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    tried removing my site map now too, ill let you know my results!

Timby, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  6. ibnuasad

ibnuasad Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I've tried removing and re-submitting my sites sitemap and from my observation, there is no big difference. But maybe thats because my site is too small to make a comparison.

- http://www.seotier.com

ibnuasad, Jan 15, 2007 IP
  7. bala

bala Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My directory have 1550 pages indexed by google now.. just finished adding google sitemap..

Let me see.. whatz happening...I believe it will start with lower numbers.. but soon it will cache maximum pages...

I submitted my sitemap, because there are some pages not indexed by google..

Lets play for good always...:D

bala, Jan 15, 2007 IP
  8. swapshop

swapshop Peon

Best Answers:
    Well we are getting our results back and we still have them removed

site:www.swapshop.co.nz 577 27 June 10:00am

now

Results 1 - 10 of about 15,600 from www.swapshop.co.nz. (0.23 seconds)

We are happy with the results as they seem to have settled down now.

Google now crawls over 5000 pages in one session so no moaning from us.

Since our map was removed google has increased its visits to us and the hits have tripled daily now....?

Go figure?

swapshop, Jan 24, 2007 IP
  9. bala

bala Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes.. Its true.. After adding the site map, google indexed pages went to 1050. Just removed the sitemap...Let us see...

bala, Jan 26, 2007 IP
  10. dougadam

dougadam Active Member

Best Answers:
    I feel that would be wise.

dougadam, Jan 28, 2007 IP
  11. hotchat

hotchat Peon

Best Answers:
    I have 62 pages indexed. sometimes google says that there is no sent page. my site has a video. what can to be the cause?

Thanks,

Pablo

hotchat, Jan 29, 2007 IP
  12. solidghost

solidghost Peon

Best Answers:
    I too have my indexed pages suddenly slashed to several hundred.
    I will now remove my sitemap and see how Google indexed them.

solidghost, Jan 30, 2007 IP
  13. NosferatusCoffin

NosferatusCoffin Active Member

Best Answers:
    After all of the headaches with Google lately, I figured I might as well remove the sitemap file for both of the sites I am running for a client and see what happens. Google is indexing over 3400 pages for the first site, which seems correct, but I am noticing one of two possibilities as to why sitemaps might be hampering traffic and index listing:

1) Google is getting tougher on duplicate content. Both sites are the same in layout, structure and code (using WordPress). The difference is that one is based on NYC stories and content while the other one is based on Los Angeles content. Now, there is some overlap as both sites do sometimes run the same stories, if they are not city-specific. The funny thing is, that one of the stories which was always a high-ranker is now not showing up in either Google's index nor in the sitemap file. Penalty maybe? Who knows? Which brings me to #2

2) Google is hosing the sitemap file itself. I reindexed (using GSite Crawler) a few days ago and resubmitted and, like Google had done a few weeks earlier, the bot deleted links galore from the XML file (about 1/3 of the links were totally removed, including totally legit story links). I never noticed this happening before and this has led to large drop in traffic in addition to some posts being sent to never-never land.

I just removed the sitemap file and will report back if there is any change of note.

NosferatusCoffin, Feb 3, 2007 IP
  14. alfredn

alfredn Peon

Best Answers:
    Ive revomed mine from tutorial-index.com for the moment; I want to see if this will improve us as well.

alfredn, Feb 6, 2007 IP
  15. evera

evera Peon

Best Answers:

So, my indexed pages went up again to the level it was before.
    I can say Google sitemaps is not so bad as most people inhere want to believe. Google indexes new pages pretty fast and older pages are indexed constantly aswell. I can just speak for me, but there is no drawback in using Google Sitemaps, besides it takes a lot of time.
    My page is quite large so I don't know if that is also the case for smaller websites.
    But imo you shouldn't give up too fast just because indexed pages go down initially. They will go up again after a while.

evera, Feb 6, 2007 IP
  16. Bes Z

Bes Z Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello.
    So what is the consensus so far? Not having Google sitemap is better or have things improved since the time the original poster started this thread?

Bes Z, Feb 9, 2007 IP
  17. 1-script.com

1-script.com Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure a consensus can be had here because there is a chance that people that have great success with Sitemaps would not post in this thread, but I'd say that Google XML sitemap is a poor substitute for having a couple of normal HTML links (external are great but at least one internal is a must, too) pointing to every page of your site. Unless you can achieve that with your internal navigation, sitemaps won't be a big help and there are signs (in my personal experience as well) that they may actually hurt if not implemented very carefully. I mean, as in slowly populating the sitemap file with links and not throwing all of your pages at Google at once.

A question to the community though:

When you guys say "I removed Sitemap": do you mean you've deleted the XML file or you have only deleted a record of it from WMT account? I see Google coming back for the XML even after the WMT record has been deleted.

1-script.com, Feb 12, 2007 IP
  18. swapshop

swapshop Peon

Best Answers:
    A question to the community though:

When you guys say "I removed Sitemap": do you mean you've deleted the XML file or you have only deleted a record of it from WMT account? I see Google coming back for the XML even after the WMT record has been deleted.

In our case we deleted google map from the google sitemap interface not the actual file.

Our site:www.swapshop.co.nz has gone down a little but has been stable since we started this thread.

Actually we updated our site map for the site and saw a good response. Google now crawls over 4500+ pages so we are happy.

swapshop, Feb 12, 2007 IP
  19. Bes Z

Bes Z Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the explanation 1-script, and you ask a good question. Swapshot; I was wondering: does that mean things are better for you with the sitemap available/enabled?

Bes Z, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  20. GULLIVER

GULLIVER Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    After some reading in this thread I'm going to remove my sitemap also, let's see, what will it do.

GULLIVER, Feb 16, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.