1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

google should penalize wikipedia

Discussion in 'Google' started by silent10, Feb 11, 2007.

wikipedia has a nofollow tag for links , normally google and other search engine should penalize wikipedia for this , because links towards sites have a role in SEO ,
    internet is an exchange , wikipedia got her importance because many webmasters started adding content and putting links towards their sites ....
    and so on ....
    but wikipedia ... backstabbed the webmasters by putting no follow tags for links

.... they got what they want .... webmasters are no more needed

now they are planning to replace google ;)
    what do you think ?

silent10, Feb 11, 2007 IP
  2. AnaB

AnaB Peon

Best Answers:
    What about webmasters spamming wikipedia? I think they did the right thing

AnaB, Feb 11, 2007 IP
  3. john269

john269 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately sometimes, especially when a site becomes large, a site has to take measures to prevent large volumns of spam and if it means using no follow then they will do it.

At the end of the day it is actually the spammers that most probably made them use this.

Even I have had to take alot of measures to prevent spam on my sites. No matter what site becomes big, spam will soon become a major problem with the site meaning they will have to do alot more work to stop it from happening.

john269, Feb 11, 2007 IP
  4. AZhitman

AZhitman Active Member

Best Answers:
    Screw Wikipedia.

My staff and I wrote 90% of the content on there for our niche, and just because we had links in there to additional information (on which we are THE authority), they accused us of spamming (no warning) and deleted the links.

I their little "private discussions", which I found while doing a Google search for something else, they even cited a DP Forums thread in which I stated "As long as you submit excellent and useful content, there's no reason for them to remove your links". (This was in response to a n00b question here on the forums...

Requests for an explanation have gone unanswered. Now they have our content, which we contributed, and there's no benefit to us.

Screw them and their lame project. I hope it withers and dies.

AZhitman, Feb 11, 2007 IP
  5. zibzer

zibzer Peon

Best Answers:
    i would remove the content that you put forth. And/Or send a letter to cease using your information on their website.

zibzer, Feb 11, 2007 IP
  6. KingofKings

KingofKings Banned

Best Answers:
    I think the only reason wikipedia is even seeing the light of day is because google is allowing it. If wikipedia gets banned from google search engine, I think it will be destoryed. :)

KingofKings, Feb 11, 2007 IP
  7. The Stealthy One

The Stealthy One Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I think you're just plain wrong. :) Wikipedia is not an SEO grab. It is supposed to be a quality Website offering quality information. NOFOLLOW bears that out.

The Stealthy One, Feb 11, 2007 IP
  8. AZhitman

AZhitman Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'd love to, but there's 2 problems:

1) Contributions to that site remain "theirs".
    2) Such a letter would be ignored, as we contributed it.

Oh well - I'm removing all links to them from my site as well. Won't do much, but make me feel better. Bastards. :mad:

AZhitman, Feb 11, 2007 IP
    The Webmaster likes this.
  9. choward93

choward93 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wikipedia has grown to the point of self-sufficiency. While Wikipedia owns the google results, so many people know of their presence and resource of content that even if google did ban them, people would still go to the site. When i want to learn about something specific, i go to wikipedia, not google.

choward93, Feb 11, 2007 IP
  10. godmode

godmode Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yeah sometime its so weird. Can you imagine this incident with me?

I have written an article and it went rounds in the blogosphere. Another blogger written about it and literally copied my contents to his blog. submitted the same to wikipedia by his name. His content got accepted when the original article was mine. I tried submitting the content. they rejected my article even though it was the original.

Darn that sucks! i stopped using them. Its literally owned by a bunch of webmasters for spamming their content online these days

godmode, Feb 11, 2007 IP
  11. oseymour

oseymour Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think they did the right thing...I can't imagine the amount of spam they have to deal with on a daily basis

oseymour, Feb 11, 2007 IP
  12. Jon.West

Jon.West Peon

Best Answers:
    Make sure you don't link to them...

Jon.West, Feb 11, 2007 IP
  13. hhheng

hhheng Banned

Best Answers:
    But google places a more weight on wikipedia, and for any keyword search, if google can find the keywords in wikipedia, it will show in the first 2 pages of SERPs, am I right?

As for the non follow links, maybe wikipeida has its own policy. Mainly links to wikipedia is for traffic, not for SEO.

hhheng, Feb 11, 2007 IP
  14. Icheb

Icheb Peon

Best Answers:
    So just because Wikipedia is trying to reduce spam from webmasters Google should penalize them? You can't dispute the fact that Wikipedia offers quality content, yet you want them penalized because of the actions of a small portion of internet users?

Google - The Internet Police

Geez dude, get some ****ing common sense.

Icheb, Feb 11, 2007 IP
  15. Motter

Motter Peon

Best Answers:
    the problem is that they are not going to keep the fresh content coming if they do not allow the authors to give themselves a link. People just honestly don't want to do all that work for nothing. Even if it is a no follow some stuck up wiki extraordinair can just delete your link and call it spam. once the spam word is thrown out your link is history..

Motter, Feb 11, 2007 IP
  16. TatiAnA

TatiAnA Active Member

Best Answers:
    You are right. Last month, Wikipedia was #7 on one of my targeted keywords. Now, they are already #1! Great. Lol. But IMHO, i still think it's worth linking to Wikipedia as they have a very high rankings on Google. Well i'm after the traffic.

TatiAnA, Feb 11, 2007 IP
  17. gabrielangel

gabrielangel Peon

Best Answers:
    The nofollow thing was great news for me, as I have no wikipedia links. If Google were to penalize Wikipedia, then it would be even better news for me. Wikipedia holds the top spot for many of my target words.

gabrielangel, Feb 11, 2007 IP
  18. geni

geni Peon

Best Answers:
    Experience suggests otherwise. most people online don't have websites.

geni, Feb 12, 2007 IP
  19. Sxperm

Sxperm Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think I can image how much spams they got on daily basis but I think Wikipedia should link back to author whom contributed their useful and original contents on their site. Wikipedia has been growth by many of contributed webmasters and why they should not got any benefits? Wikipedia leave live link back to author and they continue contribute their contents, it is fair isn't? I'm smell something selfish from here.

Sxperm, Feb 12, 2007 IP
  20. soju

soju Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd be happy with just the traffic from wikipedia. Let it go.

soju, Feb 12, 2007 IP