1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My URL hijacked in Google maps business listing

Discussion in 'Google' started by smokey99, Feb 7, 2007.

Hi everyone,
    I have a client, who did not register a business listing on Google maps, but their competitor took the time to do it for them, using their own url instead of my clients of course :mad:

The listing shows as unverified, but I imagine that could stay that way for months.

You might want to check your Google map business listing to make sure someone hasn't done the same to you.

smokey99, Feb 7, 2007 IP
  2. BILZ

BILZ Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, that pretty darn sneaky. What kinda douche would do that.

BILZ, Feb 7, 2007 IP
  3. smokey99

smokey99 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Pretty sneaky huh.
    LOL, on their site they call themselves Christians, with a Christian Web counter and all.

smokey99, Feb 7, 2007 IP
  4. login

login Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You will learn that people that call them self Christians are not better than others.

login, Feb 7, 2007 IP
  5. smokey99

Best Answers:
    I know that, its just the hypocrisy of it.
    Christian and Bible study banners everywhere, but we are scumbags

smokey99, Feb 7, 2007 IP
  6. checksum

checksum Notable Member

Best Answers:
    checksum, Feb 7, 2007 IP
  7. smokey99

Best Answers:
    smokey99, Feb 7, 2007 IP
  8. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    My local paper has a section called "Roses & Raspberries" where readers can write in & give a piece of their mind. A story like this would certainly fit the Raspberries section, and a little local publicity about them likely won't hurt...just be sure to word it correctly so that the proper address is listed, as well as the proper name. With out BOTH the risk is ran of the editorial being just an ad for a competitor.
    Q

Qryztufre, Feb 8, 2007 IP
  9. rustybrick

rustybrick User ID 3

Best Answers:
  10. mblumenthal

mblumenthal Guest

Best Answers:
    I have seen instances where Google assigned the authoritative web listing to a competitor as part of their local indexing and ranking process (I wrote about this in October at blumenthals.com/blog) Are you sure that a competitor did this? I thought so too at first but when I investigated it was just an overly agressive algorithm.

Mike Blumenthal

mblumenthal, Feb 8, 2007 IP
  11. smokey99

Best Answers:
    I haven't heard of Local business listings being created by G.
    I would doubt that Googles indexing algo, would create the listing with all the right details extracted from the site, then go ahead and list another site as the URL.
    I am pretty sure this is a sneaky move by the site in the url

smokey99, Feb 8, 2007 IP
  12. Maps Guide Jen

Maps Guide Jen Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi smokey99,

I understand that a competitor’s website is appearing with the business information for one of your clients. Currently, Google Maps for the US compiles information from web search results, data submitted directly by local business owners, and sources such as publicly available Yellow Pages directories.

The algorithms on Google Maps automatically select relevant web pages to appear with each business listing. These algorithms work to link each business listing with the most accurate web page the algorithm can find. However, it sometimes misses the most appropriate site for an individual business. If your client would like to display his URL with his listing, we encourage him to submit this information through the Google Maps Local Business Center at http://www.google.com/local/add

There are detailed instructions at the link that rustybrick provided:
    http://maps.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=15391&topic=1481

You might want to note that in order to alter the business details for a listing, you have to have access to that business’ mail or phone. As rustybrick noted, the Google group is a good place to ask questions – I’m on hand to answer many of them. If you have really specific questions about your listing even after reading the Help Center page, you can submit a support ticket at http://maps.google.com/support/bin/request.py. You'll get a faster response too if you include the full name, address and phone number of your client's business in your initial ticket.

Cheers,
    Jen

Maps Guide Jen, Feb 9, 2007 IP
  13. Your Content

Your Content Banned

Best Answers:
    Curiously most people related to religious websites or religious business are involved in mischievous affairs.

I just found the other day a website offering free scripts "in the name of God" but asking you to cover sneaky requirements before proceed to the downloads area.

Your Content, Feb 9, 2007 IP
  14. smokey99

Best Answers:
    Thanks for that info Jen.

The competing business is in Connecticut, and my customers site is in BC Canada. (Bed & Breakfast Inn's) It seems bizarre that G would grab our information from our site (Name, Address & Phone,) and match it to a domain for a B&B in CT with different info.

Do that seem possible or right?

Thanks
    Smokey

smokey99, Feb 10, 2007 IP
  15. mblumenthal

mblumenthal Guest

Best Answers:
    Smokey

The short answer is yes they could make this mistake with their system.

The long answer? They have a structured database of businesses with addresses, phone etc that they purchased from the many database suppliers and they need to match that information up with their own database of websites and pages. In the absence of owner entered content, they will use their algorithm to do this.

From their patent abstract on this subject of Authoritative document identification:

A system determines documents that are associated with a location, identifies a group of signals associated with each of the documents, and determines authoritativeness of the documents for the location based on the signals. (thanks to Bill Slawski for this)

The method leads to a mostly accurate Google Maps database but my research indicates as of late last year about one error in ten entries. Not all of these are as bad as the one that you found or the one that I wrote of in my blog. I am also seeing with this most recent update a somewhat less aggressive approach on Google's part...

Mike Blumenthal
    Understanding Google Maps and Yahoo Local Search
    blumenthals.com/blog

mblumenthal, Feb 11, 2007 IP
  16. smokey99

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the info folks, very educational
    Have a good one
    Smokey

smokey99, Feb 12, 2007 IP