1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Domain Name details being withheld by ex-employee

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by mentalist3d, Feb 5, 2007.

Hi All

I have a slight problem with our organisations domain name and I was hoping somebody might be able to point me in the right direction.

Our organisation is fairly new and is set-up as a not for profit Social Enterprise, because funding was scarce in the first few months we relied upon the extra help of our volunteers and employees.

One of our employees registered a domain name for us which we fully reimbursed them for. However the employee then became an ex-employee and changed all the domain log-in details so we no longer have access to the account. The domain name is due for renewal in a couple of months time and any appeal made to the ex-employee for the log-in details for domain renewal have went ignored.

Is there any process we can go through to force the ex-employee to give up the domain details and hand over the account details.

Any help would be appreciatted, even links to sites that contain further info for this kind of dispute.

Thanks

mentalist3d, Feb 5, 2007 IP
  2. DomainLoot

DomainLoot Guest

Best Answers:
    YIKES!

Time to call your lawyer.

And, of course, next time: take more appropriate actions to protect your domain(s).

Good luck.

P.S. I doubt any domain registrars will be willing to help here. IMHO.

DomainLoot, Feb 5, 2007 IP
  3. goodpasture

goodpasture Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree -- sounds like this is what the lawyers are for! You shouldn't have any problems if your organization is properly registered and hopefully you have a receipt of reimbursement to that employee.

goodpasture, Feb 5, 2007 IP
  4. wenzlerpaul

wenzlerpaul Peon

Best Answers:
    Although I do agree with both of the replies above, the only thing I would suggest that you do is to just put the domain on watchlist. Godaddy or some other domain registrars offers this options for you to pay for a domain in advance while the said domain is still registered to another person.

The purpose of this domain watchlist is that Godaddy will automatically grab the domain for you when that said domain expires. You will need to be discrete about this because once that ex-employee of yours finds out, he might re-register the domain again. Since it is almost expiring, you can do this approach.

I do not guarantee it will work for you but it surely is worth a try.

Go to godaddy.com then type in the domain on the search box, once the domain appears to be as a taken domain, they will have an option there for you to put in as watchlist.

Hope it helps,
    Paul
    servermode.com

wenzlerpaul, Feb 5, 2007 IP
  5. Dave Zan

Dave Zan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'd say the 3 posters above gave appropriate responses. This situation happens
    quite often.

Depending on how long the domain name is registered for (especially if it will
    expire soon) and where it's currently managed at, the registrar might have an
    option to "sell" the domain name to an interested party once it expires but not
    renewed timely. Otherwise, seek legal advice.

Unfortunately there's no immediate resolution to this sort of thing, especially
    if it's a civil issue (which this is unless otherwise stated by a lawyer).

Dave Zan, Feb 5, 2007 IP
  6. tke71709

tke71709 Peon

Best Answers:
    Godaddy will try to grab the domain for you.

If there are any decent backlinks/PR on the domain there will be many people trying to grab the domain, not just you, so there is no guarantee that you will get it back.

tke71709, Feb 6, 2007 IP
  7. TanItAll

TanItAll Peon

Best Answers:
    due to your organization's lack of funds, you may also recruit some college lawyers studying intellectual property laws or try a lawyer looking for some publicity

TanItAll, Feb 6, 2007 IP
  8. Nick_Mayhem

Nick_Mayhem Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Okay the email and passwords are changed.

Is the WHOIS still on your name?

Nick_Mayhem, Feb 6, 2007 IP
  9. wenzlerpaul

wenzlerpaul Peon

Best Answers:
    true, I stand corrected on this... tke71709 is pretty much correct on making my statement a better one...

wenzlerpaul, Feb 9, 2007 IP
  10. promo

promo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Also Godaddy is the worst of all the drop services..

Try snapnames.com if it gets that far..

promo, Feb 9, 2007 IP
  11. mentalist3d

mentalist3d Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep the e-mail accounts are handled by our web hosts and all passwords have been changed. It is only the domain name we cant get access to. The WhoIs information still lists the ex-employees details.

Thanks everyone for the advice and help, very much appreciatted :)

mentalist3d, Feb 20, 2007 IP
  12. starke

starke Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would consider filing a WIPO proceeding. They are not that bad to pursue, and being that you are a not-for-profit, they may even waive the proceedure fee.

Essentially, you could have the domain back within 30-45 days.

Another alternative is to file a small claims action against your employee. They are also very low cost and can have some real bite.

Good luck.

starke, Feb 20, 2007 IP