1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

It's a Phrase Based world

Discussion in 'Google' started by thegypsy, Feb 6, 2007.

Ok..

Got yer thinking Caps on??? Good, cause yer gonna need them…

I have been a fan of relevance for some time as far as SEO activities go (on page and off page). A year ago it was Latent Semantic Analysis and Google’s LSI . Then a strange thing happened. I started seeing more and more Google Patents on ‘Phrase Based Indexing and Retrieval’ ( I lovingly call PaIR). The more they put out, the more I paid attention.

Good bye LSI and Hello PaIR!

You see, the LSI model is quite limited and so it makes complete sense to move to the PaIR model which is far more comprehensive and flexible than what LSA can accomplish.

ENTER PaIR -

or even better it is used -- To identify phrases that have sufficiently frequent and/or distinguished usage in the document collection to indicate that they are "valid" or "good" phrases

Not only should it lead to better results, but the added layer of Spam detection should make life much harder on Spammers (Markov needs to start working out).

Ok, who’s ready for some heavy lifting?

Originally I wrote ‘ Phrase Based Optimization ’ – this is the more technical analysis and may not be for everyone.

Next was ‘ Phrase Based Indexing and Retrieval ’ – which breaks down what it means to us in some simpler terms.

Recently I covered ‘ Spam Detection in a Phrase Based Indexing and Retrieval system ’ – which highlights some ways of using PaIR for Spam detection purposes….

Enter Visio -- I noticed a post on V's Blog about GoogleBombs demise and it got me thinking...

I then came across some evidence of PaIR in the recent demolition of GoogleBombs –

Another pal Jaan ( IncredibleHelp ) posted some info as well - which led me to Stoney (DeGetyr) and we’re following up my little find….

So there U have it.. some of the latest goodies on the radar… at least over here.

I have HAD IT with PaIR now.. and am off to study something new...
    [​IMG]

thegypsy, Feb 6, 2007 IP
  2. visio

visio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good compilation Gypsy!!! Great information. As one of those links is mine(thanks for the link gypsy) I know this stuff but looking at it from different view points is always good. That is why I like to read different seo blogs. I have my own but don't always think of everything and I certainly miss things.

If anyone is wondering what happened with this new 'algo' for google bombing these links are must reads. It should explain everything to you very clearly. If not just post and someone will clear it up.

visio, Feb 6, 2007 IP
  3. infonote

infonote Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google have been implementing something similar, in a limited form in the labs with Google Sets.

infonote, Feb 6, 2007 IP
  4. thegypsy

thegypsy Peon

Best Answers:
    In think it was the hub-bub about Latent Semantic Indexing/Analysis that got me on the trail... tere was a TON of conjecture about it's use in G IR process....

I never did see any SEARCH works on it tho ( it's a AdWods technology originally).... when I started seeing a bunch of PaIR stuff going on, it got my interest....

There is more of it actually on dealing with Duplicates, Personal Search and Snippets (descriptions) in the PaIR patents that I didn't get into...

Once again, I would have to think it is simply a layering on top of existing technologies/methods/infrastructure NOT a complete move 'to the left'

..all some interesting stuff tho

thegypsy, Feb 6, 2007 IP
  5. visio

visio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think the last part is correct for many of Googles developments. They come out with newer techniques and put them over old technology. Old tech is not always bad.
    Mate you should write a article and submit it to Youmoz. They probably would accept it.

visio, Feb 9, 2007 IP
  6. rochow

rochow Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Very good research gypsy!

I'm going to have to come back and read this another day when I actually do have my thinking cap on!

rochow, Feb 9, 2007 IP