1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it impossible to get a decent adsense income with image sites?

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by fatabbot, Jan 31, 2007.

I have a website that is focused on images. It's very hard to get a decent clicktru because all the attention goes to the images and ads are practically ignored.
    Is it only CPM that is useful for this type of sites or are there other ways? Please, share your experience.

fatabbot, Jan 31, 2007 IP
  2. procrastinator

procrastinator Peon

Best Answers:
    Image sites/blogs have poor ctr and even poorer payment , i run a couple of them , looking for some solution as well :p

procrastinator, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  3. ivalok

ivalok Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess it is hard to target the keywords for adsense as it is mainly filled with images. I've tried to put adsense on one of the gallery and found out that the ads are always the same.

Anyway, I would be grateful if someone can share their ideas on gallery sites, too.

ivalok, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  4. adsense4money

adsense4money Active Member

Best Answers:
    When you have no text content, you have no keywords for adsense it is then logical to get a low CPC.
    Solution : optimise all other targetting parameters & add some text content.
    How do I optimise all other parameters :
    - use a keyword rich domain name
    - use meta tags with nice keywords
    - describe your pictures with alt parameter in the img tag
    - think of other things lol

adsense4money, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  5. procrastinator

procrastinator Peon

Best Answers:
    i run an image blog so the ctr is kind of low i think 2.5 thereabouts with avergae earning of about 5 cents a click 1k impressions per day is kind of low , with higher impressions about 10k cud have something worthy i think , try image ads (adenage) maybe users will tend to click there.

procrastinator, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  6. fatabbot

fatabbot Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The ads are targetted. That's not the problem.

The attention of the surfers lies in the images. That's the problem.

fatabbot, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  7. Dj_Flush

Dj_Flush Peon

Best Answers:
    The best way to get relevant Ads when you dont have or have less text on your site is to have a strong META KEYWORD and META DECRIPTION in header of your page

e.g My site accessdir.com.....u wont find any TEXT at all there but all Ads are relevant

and to be honest Image sites can make a hell lot of income its all about a good Ad blend and positioning ;)

Dj_Flush, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  8. fatabbot

Best Answers:
    The ads ARE TARGETTED. lol
    Any examples?

fatabbot, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  9. adsense4money

Best Answers:
    We got it ! ads are targeted. But they don't pay much. That's why I said you should get more keywords for competition.
    CTR can be fixed with ad colours, placement and formats see adsense help for that

10. fatabbot

Best Answers:
    [sarcasm mode]very helpful... Adsense help, why didn't i think of that :rolleyes:[/sarcasm mode]

fatabbot, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  11. Zedzero

Zedzero Peon

Best Answers:
    my first site was an image hosting site. it was successful, but ctr and payments were too low.

i suggest you add some features encouraging text usage. i used tagging images, and it worked well. (but i had to shut it down anyway)

Zedzero, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  12. chward21

chward21 Guest

Best Answers:
    its all about location,location, location. try different locations and track

chward21, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  13. kalle437

kalle437 Peon

Best Answers:
    I run a photohost myself, and have noticed that the adds are displayed depending on the name of the image. So lets say that the name of the image is mesothelioma.gif, the adds would probably show mesothelioma adds. And so on. So if you name the pictures to what they display, they will probably get related adds to show up.

Kalle :)

kalle437, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  14. adsense4money

Best Answers:
    I am sorry if I offended you with such an obvious thing !
    I am currently writing a CTR optimisation guide for my website on AdSense, I will PM you once it is online if you are still interested.

15. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have a website with several large-trafic-volume image sections plus a high traffic blog:

here my recipe and comment:

image sections have HIGHEST CTR/$ if done correctly
    at least on my site i get more out of image pages than any other high traffic section with text only - event hough all my sections always had some half 2 digit ctr range - all could be improved even further in recent days - how ?

see ad layout and see Google wishes for ATF and the 3 precisely named successful formats
    give G what they wish and G gives you what you need = $

re blog - is now around a 2 digit ctr and the highest earning section on my site - but i use a TOTALLY different blog layout that most others - a blog layout i crated myself to meed the G published heat map!
    I also use a total different approach in colors for page and ads as well - and since I changed all a week ago all my numbers, already high before - went up another 50% in the past 7 days following G wishes

re image galleries

I had successful sections before in my lovecards and wallpaper sections - both FAR above average high ctr/$ numbers

the only by far lowest section was my gallery2 driven photo gallery pages until about a week ago ...

last week I totally changed the adsense layout - following G wishes for ATF rectangles - see
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?p=2230922
    and I also moved the wide skyscraper from below the navigation bar to the TOP of the navigation bar - in both - the blog AND the photo gallery - and suddenly the photo gallery also nears a 2 digit ctr and an above average revenue.

gallery2 software for image sites is ideal as it allows to add text for each photo - I love it and now with the new layout its even more fun since it also helps to carry expenses by producing revenue.

may be those having problems with image pages - review your methods - compare your methods to those who are successful - have the courage to totally restructure your layout, yoiur colors, and very specially your ad placements AND ad formats following G's most recent requests

hans, Feb 2, 2007 IP
    fatabbot likes this.
  16. Setec

Setec Peon

Best Answers:
    It really depends on if people are JUST there looking for images, or if they're looking for information and the information you're providing happens to be in the form of images. I'm running one mostly image site with a pretty good CTR, because it's mixed with other good info.

Setec, Feb 2, 2007 IP
  17. fatabbot

Best Answers:
    Now THAT's an answer! Thanks for sharing.

fatabbot, Feb 2, 2007 IP