1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SEO Tools for Keyword Research

Discussion in 'Products & Tools' started by bobmutch, Aug 27, 2004.

Eight SEO Tools that are very helpful in doing keyword research. The following review looks at some of the best free internet based keyword research tool. I have these and many more good SEO Tools listed on my website -- see my SEO Tools link below.

Overture Keyword Popularity Tool [​IMG]
    Overture Keyword Popularity Tool by 123 Promotion
    has made a number of changes to there Overture Keyword Popularity Tool. It now searches not only Overture's database but WorkTracker also!
    It looks like the same tool but the results in the search term field is an anchor text that opens up a whole new set of data and word mining possibilities.
    In the new set of data it tells you how many times Google and Yahoo find this term on the internet, there is a list of related words which is linked to let you conduct a dictionary.com or thesaurus.reference.com search or to research on one of the related words. Very nice tool, and very useful for copywriters.

Search Term Research
    Search Term Research by PrioritySubmit
    requires an username and password but it has lots of features. They claim to have the biggest database, with over 9 billion searches compiled from 37 sources that include major international, pay per click, meta and regional engines.
    You can search on spell:keyword, related:keyword, like:keyword and crawl:keyword . The tool will search Overture's data from 16 different countries. There is just too much to list here.
    Go sign up and get take a peek.

Keyword Research Tool
    Keyword Research Tool by Webmaster Toolkit
    will generate a list of keywords and keyword phrases used in other web sites based on the keyword or keyword phrase you enter into their tool.
    This tool searches other sites with your choice of one of the 9 listed search engines and displays what other web sites that are optimized for the keyword phrase you entered are using for keywords on their site. Very helpful tool!

Search Term Suggestion Tool
    Overture Search Term Suggestion Tool by Overture
    allows you to enter a prospective keyword and it returns the related keyword phrases and the number of times they have been searched in the last month on Overture powered search engines such as Yahoo, MSN, Altavista and Hotbot.
    You use this kind of data to help you choose the keyword phrases you want to target. This tool is a "must use" as you don't want to target keywords that no one is searching for!

Keyword Suggestion Tool
    Keyword Suggestion Tool by Digital Point Solutions
    shows the per day keyword results from both Overture and Wordtracker. Wordtracker breaks the results down in plural and singular where Overture combines them together. For example Overture reports "anime wallpage" as 2609 per day where Wordtracker shows "anime wallpaper" with 3160 per day and "anime wallpapers" with 1948 per day.
    The different totals don't matter, it is the plural/singular percentages that you need to help you decide which keyword to target.

Keyword Generator
    Keyword Generator by Espotting Media
    provides you with keywords from there PPC data base. Espotting powers over 1.4 billion searches every month across Europe. With offices in the UK, Ireland, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Sweden, Denmark and Norway.

Google Adwords Keyword Tool
    Google Adwords Keyword Tool by Google
    provides you with 2 lists of words, Specific keywords that are that include our keyword that have been searched on Google and Similar keywords that are relevant terms searched by uses that searched for your keyword also.

Google Keyword Suggestions
    Keyword Suggestions for Google by SEO Chat
    give you relevant and popular terms related to the keyword you search for. This tool queries information from Google searches for your keyword and determines popular and re-occurring terms and displays them with a field that shows there relevant per cent. Very good tool.

If you know of any good SEO Tools for Keyword Research and they are not listed here, let me know by this SEO Tools Suggestion form and I will add them.

bobmutch, Aug 27, 2004 IP
    JoyGoRound likes this.
  2. melfan

melfan Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for posting this! This is a good resource.

melfan, Aug 27, 2004 IP
  3. dirtdog1960theone

dirtdog1960theone Active Member

Best Answers:
    Just so this post in the similar thread section. Good collection Bob. Definately a bookmark for me. Seems to me that keyword selection is the key to success.

dirtdog1960theone, Feb 2, 2005 IP
  4. bobmutch

bobmutch Peon

Best Answers:
    dirtdog1960theone: Yes I agree. Targetting the right keywords is where it is at. Just a few more tips along that line that we all many not know.

1. Target keywords that you can Rank for - No use targeting "download" as you will never Rank for it. The top ten on Google has an average PR of 8.5 and IBLs of 118K last time I looked.

2. Make a list of the keywords you would LIKE to Rank for, list them in order of Overture PPC traffic, used the McDar Tool to get an idea of the cost to Rank (IBLs & PR) in the top ten for keywords. Find the level of PPC traffic on the list where you can Ranking and target those words.

3. Target keywords that will have good conversion rates. No use driving traffic to your site if all they do is jack up your Alexa Ranking and don't purchase anything.

4. Put together a no-maintence reciprocal linking system. Setup 50 categoires and mine up 300 links for each category. You can mine 2500 sites a hour with 5 copies of Arelis running. Export from Arelis into Reciprocalmanager.com RM3 software. Point some high PR links at your main category page, wait for the PR update, write short quality requests, and pull the trigger on the automated system and site back and watch the links roll in.

bobmutch, Feb 2, 2005 IP
    Pammer likes this.
  5. randfish

randfish Peon

Best Answers:
    Keyword Difficulty Measurement Tool:

This tool measures the relative difficulty of optimizing for a particular keyword phrase by analyzing such metrics as number of results for the terms in quotes, number of pages with the keyword phrase in the title, bid amounts at Overture, and more. Scores are given as a percentage.

http://www.socengine.com/seo/tools/keyword-difficulty-tool.html

randfish, Feb 2, 2005 IP
  6. bobmutch

bobmutch Peon

Best Answers:
    bobmutch, Feb 2, 2005 IP
  7. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    schlottke, Feb 2, 2005 IP
  8. randfish

randfish Peon

Best Answers:
    bob -

I'm really laughing now. I pointed to the wrong page on my own site... How? I don't know - I must've been WAY to tired.

Anyways, I hope you're not too mad ;)

randfish, Feb 2, 2005 IP
  9. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    I do like the tool though, interesting stuff.

schlottke, Feb 2, 2005 IP
  10. bobmutch

bobmutch Peon

Best Answers:
    randfish: Na I'm not made, just giving you a hard time.

bobmutch, Feb 20, 2005 IP
  11. Marneo

Marneo Peon

Best Answers:
    What behooves me to wonder is how it is that I can do a search on a keyphrase in Google and check for how many inbound links are going to each of the pages indexed on the first page of results returned and one page may have thousands and another may have only 2 or 3 or none at all. Seriously! What are we to make of that? This was originally pointed out to me by a salesman for a service called BuildTraffic to demonstrate his point that links really don't mean anything in terms of achieving a top placement and I find it hard to argue with his evidence. Try it some time. Do a random search and see how many Google-indexed inbound links a site has by entering link: before the site's URL. Am I missing something here or can someone otherwise explain the hoopla over links or where I'm missing the boat? Thanks for any input on this.

Marneo, Oct 3, 2006 IP
  12. Mong

Mong ↓↘→ horsePower

Best Answers:
    your suggestion really doesn't work.

After six months you have not listed nichewatch even after praising. :eek:

Mong, Oct 3, 2006 IP
  13. bobmutch

bobmutch Peon

Best Answers:
    Marneo:
    >>>Am I missing something here or can someone otherwise explain the hoopla over links or where I'm missing the boat?

Yes. It's not the page but its the inbound links to the site. You have to look at the inbound links a site has. You won't find any sites that rank for competitive keywords that only have 3 or 4 links.

Also don't look in google for your inbound links. Google only shows 0% to 5%. Go to Yahoo search and use search using "linkdomain:www.domain.com" and you will get a better idea of the number of inbound links.

I would say that 90% of ranking weight in Google is given to inbound links with the keyword you are targeting in the anchor text.

bobmutch, Oct 3, 2006 IP
  14. Marneo

Marneo Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your reply bobmutch but I'm not sure I understand it. I thought it was clear from my post that I WAS looking at inbound links and that I have indeed found sites that rank for competitive keywords that only have 3 or 4 links to the home page. That is my point. When you say 'to the site', do you mean the site overall (every page together) or the site's home page? I've been entering the home page for the link search.
    I'm not sure what you mean when you say 'Google only shows 0% to 5%.' Are you saying that Yahoo will list all inbound links Google-indexed and otherwise and that it is therefore a more accurate barometer? If so, I don't see how there could be an appreciable difference between the results of a Yahoo search using "linkdomain:www.domain.com" and a Google search using "link:www.domain.com" because:
    a. Don't these SEs share results anyway? and
    b. If Google is the king of SEs, why wouldn't sites that index in other SEs be sure to be indexed in Google as well?

Marneo, Oct 5, 2006 IP
  15. bobmutch

bobmutch Peon

Best Answers:
    Marneo:

>>>>Thank you for your reply bobmutch but I'm not sure I understand it. I thought it was clear from my post that I WAS looking at inbound links and that I have indeed found sites that rank for competitive keywords that only have 3 or 4 links to the home page. That is my point.

Yes but my point was don't look in Google for inbound links. Perhaps I would just ask you where you are viewing the inbound link stat?

>>>I'm not sure what you mean when you say 'Google only shows 0% to 5%.'

Just what it says. Google only shows 0% to 5% of the inbound links it knows about. So I am saying if you find a site that is ranking for competitive keywords and _Google_ shows only 4 or 5 inbounds don't believe Googles link command. It is broken, and has been broken for years.

>>>Don't these SEs share results anyway?

NO.

>>>If Google is the king of SEs, why wouldn't sites that index in other SEs be sure to be indexed in Google as well?

They are. Just Google link command is broken. It's a well known fact, ask any one.

bobmutch, Oct 5, 2006 IP
  16. bhav27

bhav27 Peon

Best Answers:
    Web CEO's free edition also includes good keyword tool. I've listed these seo software reviews to help.

bhav27, Oct 8, 2006 IP
  17. Pammer

Pammer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Very good info although old thread :)

Pammer, Jan 30, 2007 IP
  18. bobmutch

bobmutch Peon

Best Answers:
    Mong:
    >>>After six months you have not listed nichewatch even after praising.

Sorry about that. I will get Jon on it.

He has been busy for the last 4 months building 8 super seo tools that we are releasing shortly. At that point I will have him go over the directory and get it up to date and add in your tool.

bobmutch, Jan 30, 2007 IP
  19. bobmutch

bobmutch Peon

Best Answers:
    bobmutch, Jan 30, 2007 IP
    Mong likes this.
  20. Mong

Mong ↓↘→ horsePower

Best Answers:
    It was nichewatch but then i released backlinkwatch.
    And now you can also consider digpagerank ;)

Hmm i think taking 4 months for 8 super tools... it would be really mega super tools :p

Mong, Jan 31, 2007 IP