1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Windows Vista

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Rapesco, Jan 30, 2007.

I know its early as its just come out but has anyone bought Windows Vista? if so what are your first impressions of it?

Rapesco, Jan 30, 2007 IP
  2. commandos

commandos Notable Member

Best Answers:
    i only saw a preview on cnn it seem coool

but i also heard its very heavy on pc ...

commandos, Jan 30, 2007 IP
    ServerUnion likes this.
  3. iatbm

iatbm Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It is heavy on environment also....Vista will kill our planet .... no really it uses much more resources than anything else. You install Vista and it is like you drive big truck to get yogurt from the store ....

iatbm, Jan 30, 2007 IP
    ServerUnion likes this.
  4. zeynelkoc

zeynelkoc Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am using vista rc2 above 4 months and I have free vista upgrade. (thanks to HP:)) now I am wainting my free upgrade cds

[​IMG]

zeynelkoc, Jan 30, 2007 IP
  5. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    Love is, been using it for a while now with no issues. Yes it's a big install, yes it takes a newer machine to run, but overall I have found it to be better performing than XP on a viable machine.

I don't really think it's worth the upgrade, but I would get it on any new machine I buy. My thought is that if it's time to upgrade the OS, you should upgrade the hardware with it.

Another Vista Thread

[​IMG]

ServerUnion, Jan 30, 2007 IP
    commandos likes this.
  6. giovanni

giovanni Peon

Best Answers:
    I hope you phoned them first as thats what you need to do.

giovanni, Jan 30, 2007 IP
  7. MrRadic

MrRadic Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've had it for a bit, since the company has access to MSDN. The OS is very stable, and is just pleasant overall. One misconception is it requires a high end pc to run. The two things you need is a powerful video card, and about 1 GB of RAM.

MrRadic, Jan 30, 2007 IP
  8. Crusader

Crusader Peon

Best Answers:
    Well according to Toms Hardware it only uses 1W more power. (Take that for what it is worth...)

In any case it doesn't seem as if Vista provides any performance increase so unless you want the new look or need DirectX 10 then you should stick with XP for a while yet.

Crusader, Jan 30, 2007 IP
    ServerUnion likes this.
  9. clancey

clancey Peon

Best Answers:
    I am thinking of a major hardware upgrade this year to my workstation, but I am not certain if Vista is the right way to go.

Other than some legacy pre XP windows programs, Civ IV and NoteTab Pro, I do not use anything for which there is not a viable open source alternative that will run on Linux or OS-X. And , increasingly, I think virtual machines are the way to go to handle those legacy programs. The net result is the OS is not nearly as important as its ability to host VMs.

Eye candy and aero do not interest me. The first thing I would do would be to dumb down the interface to one which consumes the least possible amount of memory and processing time. In fact, I would try to revert back to a legacy Windows interface.

I would probably uninstall all the widgets. I would definitely uninstall any IM clients that come with the system, and all media center software. I would do everything I could to shut down the MS security system and helper applets. I would do everything to make it look, feel and work like my current XP install, which itself has all the cool XP features removed.

clancey, Jan 30, 2007 IP
    ServerUnion likes this.
  10. emitind

emitind Peon

Best Answers:
    Vista is not worth the 5 years it's taken since XP. Seriously. It's all cosmetic. Mac-OS is still way ahead of the game. Just a shame about incompatibility.

emitind, Jan 30, 2007 IP
  11. clancey

clancey Peon

Best Answers:
    There are more issues with Vista than with prior Microsoft operating systems.

If you are a system builder, like myself, you can buy the OEM version of Vista, but this is licensed to the specific motherboard on which it is intsalled. It cannot be installed to another machine and you cannot upgrade the motherboard. This is discussed in detail at Ars Technica

There will also be none of this buy one copy for myself and also install it on my wife's computer. You need to buy one copy of Vista per machine.

Also, the upgrade version of Vista will not install on a machine which does not already have XP or Windows 2000 installed on it. This is discussed in another Ars article. This means that you cannot do a clean install of the upgrade version of Vista unless you install first XP and W2K and you can never wipe your drive and reinstall the Vista upgrade at a future date unless you first install XP and W2K.

clancey, Jan 30, 2007 IP
  12. bigrollerdave

bigrollerdave Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It would have came out a while ago but everyone keeps suing them. They were sued by norton for providing an anti-virus built into the os. Then they were sued by google for making the default search bar default to msn in Internet Explorer 7. There is still no reason for them to take 6 years to make it though.

bigrollerdave, Jan 30, 2007 IP
  13. Tracey12

Tracey12 Peon

Best Answers:
    I haven't yet, but my friend has.. He was first in line at the store. :S

Tracey12, Jan 30, 2007 IP
  14. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    One copy per machine, that isn't anything new.
    Update means just that "upgrade", not reinstall.

I have noticed that boot and shutdown of not only the computer but applications is much faster. Seems to handle resource intesive applications better: Visual Studio, PhotoShop, IIS, MS SQL Server...

ServerUnion, Jan 31, 2007 IP
    iatbm, clancey and Crusader like this.
  15. MrRadic

MrRadic Active Member

Best Answers:
    Have you used Vista? I'm probably guessing not.

MrRadic, Jan 31, 2007 IP
  16. Dizmatic

Dizmatic Peon

Best Answers:
    I will probably wait a little while before purchasing. I still have been playing with the beta using a virtual server.

Dizmatic, Jan 31, 2007 IP
  17. AvarianParakeet

AvarianParakeet Peon

Best Answers:
    The main thing that bothers me is how they are forcing it upon everyone. Gamers like myself don't want to do a massive upgrade just to play a few of the newer games, but they are going out of their way to make DirectX 10 incompatible with XP. From what I've heard, there is no technological reason for, it's just to make more money.

AvarianParakeet, Jan 31, 2007 IP
  18. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you have any sources of this info. Dont believe everything you read on some hater's blog ;)

ServerUnion, Jan 31, 2007 IP
  19. integrity

integrity Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I installed it! It is awesome. I didn't like it at first but after a couple hours it turned out to be OK. It is totaly different.

integrity, Jan 31, 2007 IP
  20. tke71709

tke71709 Peon

Best Answers:
    Your friend needs to get a life if he lined up to buy an OS.

tke71709, Jan 31, 2007 IP