1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Future In Programming.

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Matvey2901, Jan 25, 2007.

Im looking for a small bit of guidance you guys.

Currently I am taking a class in High School on: Visual Basics 6
    Next Year I will be taking Computer Science AP which we will be introduced to the Java Programming.

I'm almost positive I want to have a career in programming basically anything from websites to programs.

I was looking for what I can do right now early on to help me prepare for college classes.

What languages should I learn first?

Where can i get the best knowledge of these on the net?

Things like that.

Thanks for now. =)

Matvey2901, Jan 25, 2007 IP
    seojig likes this.
  2. rgchris

rgchris Peon

Best Answers:
    C and C++ are great languages to learn.

rgchris, Jan 25, 2007 IP
  3. rb3m

rb3m Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't worry about what language you learn. Learn the principles of programming and how to solve problems with algorithms.
    Languages come and go all the time and as long as you can pick up the best suited one for the task you'll be fine.

rb3m, Jan 25, 2007 IP
  4. Matvey2901

Matvey2901 Guest

Best Answers:
    Do you guys recommend Java? And is there any online courses that could make me pre aware before taking college classes.

Matvey2901, Jan 25, 2007 IP
  5. zurc

zurc Banned

Best Answers:
    any language has it's own strength and weakness... You can try them all first then pick the one the suits your programming taste... like what rb3m said earlier the foundation principles are the most important part on the learning process of programming

zurc, Jan 25, 2007 IP
  6. ARonald

ARonald Peon

Best Answers:
    We just need to understand the underlying principles of programming, as rb3m and zurc said. Once you have an idea about programming, then you just need to learn the syntax of the programming language you want to learn. Some idea about programming would enable you to understand the syntax better and adapt to it, or any language thus released in the future.

-ARonald

ARonald, Jan 26, 2007 IP
  7. Thibaut

Thibaut Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would be agree, first learn the principles of programming.
    Meanwhile, if you want to focus on web development, you should learn PHP, Perl and SQL language. C or C++ are also great but more system oriented.

Cheers !
    Thibaut

Thibaut, Jan 26, 2007 IP
  8. tbarr60

tbarr60 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This would be a fairly secure route to go but if you want to feel productive, especially on the web, you'd want to look toward PHP, ColdFusion, Ruby, etc. .NET is a good alternative to the Java career path and your VB skills could be used.

tbarr60, Jan 26, 2007 IP
  9. Arkserver

Arkserver Banned

Best Answers:
    There are lots of online tutorial websites that can help you master java, just do a google search..
    As for the future, i'm currently learning ruby and haskall. Not sure if haskall will be populair in the future but i'm sure ruby is will make it.

Arkserver, Jan 26, 2007 IP
  10. ccoonen

ccoonen Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would learn the two main principal programming stlyes, the C style and the VB style

When you know VB, you know ASP, VBscript, ASP.NET (VB) etc... and when you know C Style, you know JavaScript, Flash, PHP, C++, etc...

Once you know how these two work - it's just small syntax changes and nuances that differ from the languages :)

ccoonen, Jan 26, 2007 IP
    seojig likes this.
  11. titoni

titoni Active Member

Best Answers:
    IMO, Java(e.g. Jsp, servlet ,struts, J2EE, J2ME...etc) is great languages to learn.

titoni, Jan 27, 2007 IP
  12. ARonald

ARonald Peon

Best Answers:
    VB6 was the first language i learnt way back in 2002. It sounded really great, and i could make graphically oriented applications in a breeze. Learning VB taught me things like what are events, what is memory, datatypes etc. After that, i started learning C++, and C++ along with Win32 API uncovered certain things which VB did automatically.

So once you learn a language, you learn elements of programming like, what is memory allocation/freeing, what are variables, constants, structures, pointers and various other things. Once you know them, while learning a new language, you just learn how they're declared and used in the language (the syntax). Due to some knowledge about VB6, i could learn C++ more easily.

Its not what language you learn, because each language has its use. You might need to use one language over the other for a specific purpose. For eg, if you're creating an application in which a form has to be filled, processed and an output is given to the user based on the inputs, then this job can be easily done in VB6, and you won't need to mess with win32 API in C++. VB6 would provide all the string handling features for easy access.

But if you're creating a software that calculates hash of some big files, then C++ (or equivalent i.e. pascal) might be needed for speed. The GUI frontend can be made in a GUI oriented language, but the part of the program that calculates has to be written in a language that compiles to machine code.

From the example above, its obvious that learning just one language might not be sufficient for all jobs, but its sufficient to easily learn other languages.

-ARonald

ARonald, Jan 27, 2007 IP
  13. PureLuckk

PureLuckk Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been told PHP is known as a "Gateway Language" because of it's ease of learning.

But everyone else is right, learn the basics and principles and you will be fine.

PureLuckk, Jan 27, 2007 IP
  14. gsoftinfo

gsoftinfo Active Member

Best Answers:
    u must go for basic principle of programing language
    onece u hve go through with basic and u can work with any language with a short course bcose in programing language only the syntax is different.

gsoftinfo, Jan 27, 2007 IP