1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The unimportance of PR

Discussion in 'Google' started by superpump, Jan 25, 2007.

Since there are now like three back to back to back pr updating threads in this foru, I think those of us who shun PR should post our reasons why...

Me personally, PR does not equal SERP, which for me is number one....

You can have a PR 8 site, but if nobody is coming to it, then what's the benefit?

superpump, Jan 25, 2007 IP
    1EightT and britishguy like this.
  2. daboss

daboss Guest

Best Answers:
    yea... yea... yea... we all know toolbar is not important. but we still like getting good toolbar pr. i get terribly excited when my sites get good pr. so?

daboss, Jan 25, 2007 IP
    soju likes this.
  3. CountryBoy

CountryBoy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    In a nutshell it's SERPs that drives paying (or clicking) customers to your website - NOT PageRank. If you want to make a decent living from websites you ideally need something to sell and a market (eg. traffic) to sell it to. PR doesn't feature unless you're talking link sales.

CountryBoy, Jan 25, 2007 IP
  4. daboss

daboss Guest

Best Answers:
    which a lot of people are doing? ;)

daboss, Jan 25, 2007 IP
  5. superpump

superpump Peon

Best Answers:
    pr is just a number that means nothing, and for those who are obsessed with it, you are missing the boat...

6. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    We have a travel site that would not know a 'PR from a Barn Door' yet it's very popular has well over 1,000 uniques per day has great serps and makes a ton of revenue

I guess that we have got it all wrong, but as we make green $$$$$$$$$$$$$ we will continue on the same old path of getting traffic, getting conversions, and making money

ROI is our focus :)

britishguy, Jan 25, 2007 IP
  7. superpump

superpump Peon

Best Answers:
    my point exactly...

Google is well aware of our intent as web masters to do whatever it takes to boost our site's pr value, thus is why they are moving away from linkage, focusing on more content links that are valuable.

You can have a shit pr 5 and up site that gets like no traffick, but if that is cool with you, then good luck with it, however that will not pay your bills will it?

8. Blogsip

Blogsip Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think some people make PR into something because they make money from their sites that have good PR.

Blogsip, Jan 25, 2007 IP
  9. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I prefer PR0 but good Serps
    :) just my opinion
    Pr is goot only for selling links exemple text-ad-linxs etc you know where i'm geting at ...
    And is good for linkexchanges ....

Regards

w3bmaster, Jan 25, 2007 IP
  10. dothq

dothq Peon

Best Answers:
    Easy to say if you have a decent PR. My site does okay but I'm just now starting to work on SEO. Since I am a PR1 many sites will not exchange links. I have 70k in posts and 40 or more people on line the majority of the day. But ....I run an off topic forum. SEO is very hard when you have so many general keywords but none specific to just my site. So ... long way of saying I'm looking for hints at how to get my PR up, but I'll start my own thread for that, don't mean to get this thread off topic (even though that is my specialty). :D

dothq, Jan 25, 2007 IP
  11. superpump

superpump Peon

Best Answers:
    in a way, i think google shot themselves in the foot over this pr thing...

years previous, sights with the most incoming links and the higher pr, were the one's that showed up for placement, but now that they have realized the spammy lengths people go to to get links, they're fighting back.

Nice to see that though, maybe overtime, the sites that should not be placing well in SERPS will be dropped for the one's that should be there based on their quality, not their PR and number of incoming links.

12. soju

soju Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with this. It's like Christmas Day. One of my sites went down but now gets more Google traffic. But I still like it when I get some (more) green.

soju, Jan 25, 2007 IP
  13. jbladeus

jbladeus Peon

Best Answers:
    For ppl who are not involved into textlink buying and selling , PR doesnt mean much and traffic is king for them, but it brings food on the table for people who have.

jbladeus, Jan 25, 2007 IP
  14. daboss

daboss Guest

Best Answers:
    exactly my point... people get excited and happy when their site's toolbar pr goes up. whether it really matters or not is another matter. just let webmasters get a little joy out of their sites. :cool:

it's like a guy sweet talking a girl... who cares if it's the truth. as long as the girl is happy, so be it! :D

daboss, Jan 25, 2007 IP
  15. Codythebest

Codythebest Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree.
    I have a page in a sub-folder which is PR3 for any reason.
    There's no link, no advertising, no nothing but PR3 !!

Codythebest, Jan 25, 2007 IP
  16. 1EightT

1EightT Guest

Best Answers:
    plain and simple, pr does not = high rankings and $$$ so I don't pay attention to it. I don't even have anything installed in firefox to display pr anymore. I watch my serps, and my earnings. If customers are coming back and money is coming in i'm happy.

1EightT, Jan 25, 2007 IP
  17. Linking-Service

Linking-Service Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The benefit is that even with no or little traffic (i don't know any PR8 site not geting traffic) you could be making $1000 to $3000+ per month just selling links on it to people that care about PR.

PR also show how established a site is wich is good to my opinion.

Linking-Service, Jan 25, 2007 IP
  18. Codythebest

Codythebest Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hum...I'm kinda disagree with the term "established"
    I've seen "established" site with PR0...
    Unless we have a different "established" definition you and me, with is possible, with all the respect...:)

Codythebest, Jan 25, 2007 IP
  19. iMacFlats

iMacFlats Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, PR bah-humbug aside... in my experience, and I only reference these on a few sites that I run personally...

PR is directly related to how Google adjusts the index. For example, one of my domains, has been online for 6 months, but the domain itself is almost 10 years old, due to its "former life". It held a PR of 4 in its current state. Recently, Google started indexing the heck out of it and started blasting traffic to it yesterday, and today it started the PR bouncing, showing 6 and 5's.

Another related site I run, which has been online for 6 years, used to be a PR 7, and I felt I was in bed with Google, cause of all the indexed pages, and adsense revenue and life was good. Until, one day, out of the blue... pages started getting de-indexed, revenue dropped significantly, visitors dropped and PR dropped to a 6. That was 15 months ago and very little has changed despite my best efforts.

While PR may not mean anything in the grand scheme of things, it appears to be an indicator of either a) site popularity in Googles mind, and/or b) how Google basis its indexing strategy for given sites.

But, I will admit, there is the odd-ball no traffic sites (I have one) that has a PR of 6 and is nothing more than few pages referencing my company.

iMacFlats, Jan 25, 2007 IP
  20. Linking-Service

Linking-Service Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What kind of PR0 site is established? can I see one?

Linking-Service, Jan 25, 2007 IP