1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is a good sitemap generator for VBulletin?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Nima, Jan 20, 2007.

1. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    No. Apparently you don't even read your own threads. What you said was:

If you're not using mod_rewrite or so-called "SEO friendly URLs", which (1) I don't and (2) I don't recommend, your objection is pretty much irrelevant.

Let me repeat one more time: You do not need mod-rewrite to rank well or even at the top with vBulletin. There are definitely a few SEO tweaks needed with vBulletin. Mod-rewrite is NOT one of them.

The ones you need you can do with the free product Zoints SEO. There are a whole lot of things you don't need bundled with vBSEO for $160.

minstrel, Jan 24, 2007 IP
  2. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    do you open your eyes when you reply to my post ?

zoints seo isn't supported and the owner himself reccomends vbseo over his own product.. Hey if you want to jack you board up, be my guest ;)

as for not needing mod_rewrite, just because you think vbseo is worthless, there is no need to hyjack this thread. ?? This thread is about sitemap, Please stay on topic slick !

Brandon Sheley, Jan 24, 2007 IP
  3. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I won't bother to reply to that comment since it makes no sense - hell, it's barely recognizable as English.

Look, loco, at least try to pretend to be coherent. Yes, the thread is about sitemaps - so what has the issue of "chang[ing] your url structure if the script wont even be around a year from now" got to do with anything?

Second, it was you and the usual gang of vBSEO shills that hijacked (note the correct spelling) the thread with ridiculous claims about an overpriced product.

Third, I don't think that mod_rewrite is unnecessary "just because think vbseo is worthless"... I think it's unnecessary no matter what product or strategy you use for vBulletin SEO.

Fourth, I don't think that ALL of vBSEO is worthless. I think it is (a) overpriced, especially given that there are free alternatives that are every bit as good, and (b) that many of it's "features" are unnecessary.

Why is it so difficult for you to understand those simple points? :rolleyes:

Addendum: Where exactly do you see David Chapman recommending vBSEO over Zoints SEO?

4. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Minstrel,

Which VBSEO features do you think are not necessary?

Loco,

I'm also interested to see where Zoints creators suggest VBSEO over their own!

Thanks
    Nima

Nima, Jan 24, 2007 IP
  5. Brandon Sheley

Best Answers:
    I'll have to search around a little, but here is a thread with the zoints owner is talking about how great vbseo is for one of his big-boards
    http://www.vbseo.com/f84/vbseo-beautiful-piece-software-8405/

here
    http://www.vbseo.com/f2/zoints-seo-8205/#post50310

6. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Minstrel,
    I looked at the Zoints SEO features...
    http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=127336

Which one of them are really useful for SEO? If you don't suggest URL Rewrite, I don't see how the other features are that important? (But again I'm no SEO expert, and that's why im asking)

THnaks
    NIma

Nima, Jan 24, 2007 IP
  7. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Most of them, in truth.

What you mainly need to do:

1. dynamic title rewrite (Zoints does this, or you can do it with a minor edit yourself)
    2. dynamic descriptions for threads (Zoints does this)
    3. on-page factors, including well-written forum and category descriptions, displayed on the page (this is a built-ion option for vBulletin; I think Zoints may enhance the feature)
    4. for those who worry about PageRank, consolidate the main index or home page URL (Zoints does this - so do other hacks)

Search engines have no difficulty spidering native vBulletin URLs - look at this forum and numerous others if you doubt that.

The better question, Nima, is this: What does vBSEO offer for all that money that you can't do for free and that is actually necessary for or even helps vBulletin SEO?

And, before the vBSEO shills all chime in again, I am not talking about anectdotal testimonials - I'm talking about actual data/evidence.

8. minstrel

Best Answers:
    See above - evidence, not testimonials. Testimonials are meaningless.

If you want direct comments from the Zoints developer, see http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=127336

And whether any of the things vBSEO does better (a) help with SEO at all and (b) are worth the $160 price tag.

9. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Frankly I don't care about VBSEO and Zoints battling each other or not...

I just want to SEO my forum the best way. :)

From what i have learned so far, I don't believe static pages are that important. I do think sitemap would be important.

Also, I added <h1> and <h2> tags to my forum pages from a hack i found somewhere...

I don't think description and keywords (that Zoints has) are as important, but I do agree that titles are important. I also don't mind directing index.php to the root, which can be done with .htaccess easily...

Nima

Nima, Jan 24, 2007 IP
  10. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I don't find that to be the case at all, noppid. Actually, although I have 12K pages indexed for a 4 month vB forum I am promoting, I am having a hard time getting the archive pages indexed funnily enough (not that i'm worried).

dcristo, Jan 24, 2007 IP
  11. minstrel

Best Answers:
    The description is of little or no importance to SEO per se but it is important for click-through rates. I do think dynamic description tags have some merit.

I agree about meta keyword tags.

12. Brandon Sheley

Best Answers:
    Saying descriptions has no weight on serps is very wrong. but if you don't believe me then just keep doing what you do, and the rest of us will reap the benefits of keywords in our descriptions.

if you think descriptions are meaningless, then find any site that uses a welcome header on all pages and look at their results in yahoo and google, and you'll see this text on almost all pages.. The descriptions will help and its a quick edit.. Better safe then sorry ;)

btw, its a bit ironic that minstal says keyword rich url's are useless when his site is using mod_written url's :rolleyes:

13. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know if you understand the difference between description and title...

Nima, Jan 24, 2007 IP
  14. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Is it possible that you could actually be as dumb as you seem here? :confused:

I did not say that the description tag is meaningless. I said that it has little or no importance in search engine ranking. It is very important in click throughs from those search engine rankings. The two are very different but both important.

You're mistaken. Or possible blind. Or possibly just duplicitous. My forum does not use mod-rewrite. Check it out yourself at http://forum.psychlinks.ca. See any mod-rewrite going on there? Anywhere? :rolleyes:

I don't think poor loco understand much about anything, to be frank.

15. Brandon Sheley

Best Answers:
    I do see several links that have keyword rich url's

such as
    psychlinks.ca/pages/anger-management-groups.htm
    psychlinks.ca/pages/stress-management-groups.htm
    psychlinks.ca/pages/growing-up-male.htm
    psychlinks.ca/pages/ottawa-counseling-services-clinics.htm

I could go on and on... sure looks like you cared enough to set the url's here ??

yup, I understood what you meant.

here is a short post on how the description in the welcome header can hurt you..

like see this
    http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?...m&mkt=en-US&form=QBNO&go.x=0&go.y=0&go=Search

the description that is shown, is more then likely right from the welcome header.
    if they made this an image, the forum descriptions would show up.

16. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Those are secondary pages on my main HTML website. Were you under the mistaken inpression that they were vBulletin pages? Were you under the further mistaken impression that any of those involved mod_rewrite? :rolleyes:

Yes. The descriptions do show up as snippets in search engine listings. That's why I said (more than once) that the description tags have some importance.

Are you assuming that they are also important in search engine ranking? :rolleyes: