1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Just how important is regularly updating of content/site?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by pedigreechump6, Jan 23, 2007.

Just wondering how much SERPs are influenced by having a site where either exisiting content is updated or new content added on a daily basis?

Is this for instance as important as on page SEO or inbound links?

I only ask because I am currently only adding maybe 1 article or page a week. Is this enough?

Thanks

pedigreechump6, Jan 23, 2007 IP
  2. theseokit

theseokit Banned

Best Answers:
    This is my personal opinion, adding new content simply tells the SE's to search your site again and again. But don't over do it. Or they may penalize you for spamming of some sort.

theseokit, Jan 23, 2007 IP
  3. thegypsy

thegypsy Peon

Best Answers:
    Well.. On page factors... are techniques for optimizing a single document (web page). Whereas back links can have a direct and indirect effect ( on the aggregate) with not only the individual document – but the site itself.. same goes with adding/refreshing content.

Refreshing a single page will assist THAT page in staying out of the SI (supplemental index) and likely increase any rankings it has, while at the same time adding weight to the site itself – and likely increase crawl rates.

Adding new content, obviously doesn’t increase the link profile, but it certain adds to the over-all authority and thus has an effect on the site as a whole.

How important? I would have to say it’s reasonably important. SEs enjoy NEW food… so feed them… just make sure it’s unique, relevant and optimized

thegypsy, Jan 23, 2007 IP
  4. theseokit

theseokit Banned

Best Answers:
    I stand corrected, I have no idea what would make me think to much content would push a SE away. Otherwise forums like DP would never be indexed. Forgive my ignorant pace of thought on that one.

Aside from what Dave said above, you can also in that new content include anchor text and links to other internal pages. This will lead the SE to other pages driving your rankings up fast!

5. thegypsy

thegypsy Peon

Best Answers:
    no worries... I am so tired right now.. - I - can barely sort out what I said there... he he

thegypsy, Jan 23, 2007 IP
  6. manageyourlinks

manageyourlinks Peon

Best Answers:
    IMO adding new content, consistently, over a long time period is absolutely crucial in todays game (and will only get weighted more as we go along IMO)

manageyourlinks, Jan 23, 2007 IP
  7. theseokit

theseokit Banned

Best Answers:
    Well the fact of the matter is Dave, you and I both work way to hard. Maybe we should go on a cruise some time :) ha ha

Anyways, adding content is great if it truly is relevant to the site its on.

8. casperl

casperl Peon

Best Answers:
    Good analysis. Reminding us: in addition to adding new content, updating existing content can be important too.

casperl, Jan 24, 2007 IP
  9. Alan Murray

Alan Murray Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don’t believe adding new/fresh content helps your ranking. Some documents never need updating.

Adding new content could increase your chance of natural linking. Also your visitors will appreciate fresh content. These are reasons you should be updating your site.

Alan Murray, Jan 24, 2007 IP
    pedigreechump6 likes this.
  10. pedigreechump6

pedigreechump6 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys.

Another question, what counts as updating content? Can as little as adding a sentence or two increase the rankings for a page?

pedigreechump6, Jan 24, 2007 IP
  11. littlebobek

littlebobek Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I add new content to my site every day for almost 3 months now and I still remain at PR0. The site is 3 months old. So I do not think that new content contribute to better ranking.

littlebobek, Jan 24, 2007 IP
  12. theseokit

theseokit Banned

Best Answers:
    The pr only goes up with more links dude.

theseokit, Jan 24, 2007 IP
  13. Alan Murray

Best Answers:

Your post I think just emphasizes my earlier point. Update your content for your users not for search engine spiders. Changing your content in the hope search engines will rank your page higher is a waste of time.

If you want to rank higher - get other quality sites to link to you. This a far better use of your time.

14. thegypsy

thegypsy Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think everyone is catching it. It most certainly will as new content adds to the aggregate (site profile) and increases 'authority' values of the site as a whole. This will have a trickle down effect on all of the rankings.

Fresh authoritative/unique content increases a site's 'authority' score. This in turn increases the valuation of the site as a whole.

No one said it was THE ONLY ranking factor. It is simply a part of the scoring system. If only SEO were that easy... You obviously have more work to do in other areas.. U seem to have the content part going on

thegypsy, Jan 24, 2007 IP
  15. Alan Murray

Best Answers:
    I am sorry this does not make any sense. A search engine spider has no idea if content is authoritative. It does not make any sense for Google to rank your page just by the amount of times you change your content.

If you add Fresh authoritative/unique content your site should attract links. This is why you should be updating your content and how Google may rank a site that has quality fresh content higher.

16. thegypsy

thegypsy Peon

Best Answers:
    I am talking about the 'authority scoring' aspects of the algos.. nuff said.. read up .. learn more.

Those whom choose to understand what I said, shall M8...

You still are not understanding what I am saying.. read it a few more times... then start on some LSI and Phrase Based Indexing and retrieval studies.. the SEs are VERY good at establishing a value for on page content.. BUT - that's not what I was talking about here...

17. pedigreechump6

pedigreechump6 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Lets be a bit more particular here. I am really thinking about my job Search pages in my sig.

Now these pages generally just contain links to other sites and the contextual content is quite limited. If I keep adding links to these pages (which should make them more useful) will that count as updating content?

And if I write other job related articles and post them, even if I don't really care about driving people to these articles will they help the rankings of the job search pages?

pedigreechump6, Jan 24, 2007 IP
  18. thegypsy

thegypsy Peon

Best Answers:
    Simply adding editorial links is fine, though unlikely to have much effect on the craw rate parameters. I would imagine a higher percentage of change would be needed. not really sure there though...

Adding new content (ensuring it gets indexed) merely increases the sites over-all authority score for the on site profile. Without targeted terms and pages in concert with a Link profile development program - won't do a whole lot for the rankings...

Now - if I am on page 2 of the SERPs and say another 10 pages were indexed of quality/relevant content - there would be a slight boost as the site in the aggregate behind the target page/term has grown in it 'authority' score.

Simply adding new content will not rank anything that is not targeted ( ie; off page optimization)

pedigreechump6 likes this.
  19. Alan Murray

Best Answers:
    Why do you need to be so arrogant? I have read up on these things - SEO is my job. Humans struggle to agree on why quality is and what is not. We are nowhere near the stage of a spider knowing what quality content is.

Google is good at eliminating spam and Phrase Based Indexing could of the reasons why, but the main reason is Google has a far better judge of a quality link.

20. thegypsy

thegypsy Peon

Best Answers:

dOOd - I wasn't being a dick - merely saying we can all believe what we will...

I am (once again) not talking about the ACTUAL quality of a piece... that's subjective - each of us decides what the quality of something is. I mean in terms of quality in a Ses eyes

Uniqueness of content
    Relvance scoring
    Prominence factors
    Link Profile
    Page Segmentation
    Spam Detection

Ok?

Oh and nice to meet ya .. I seem like a dick at first.. but a good egg and very helpfull...